PDA

View Full Version : ASI vs Feat

Anthiondel
2019-05-02, 04:29 PM
Hello! I'm playing an Oath of the Ancients Paladin in Curse of Strahd. Lvl7 atm, I'm planning the next lvlup, since it may happen soon. Stats: 10, 18, 14, 8, 12, 16.

I have 3 options in mind:
1- Increasing Dex to 20 for the extra AC, initiative, damage...
2- Increasing Cha to 18 to improve aura of protection and spell/channel divinity DC
3- Taking the Mage Slayer feat. We fought Baba Lysaga and ended up with our asses handed to us, so a rematch is in order; Strahd is quite powerfull with his spells, Amber Temple is our next objective and I'm sure there'll be magic users there...

I'm aware that with both auras I should be fine, but I think that either asi or the feat can make sense. What do you suggest?

Thanks!

Marcotix
2019-05-02, 04:32 PM
Hello! I'm playing an Oath of the Ancients Paladin in Curse of Strahd. Lvl7 atm, I'm planning the next lvlup, since it may happen soon. Stats: 10, 18, 14, 8, 12, 16.

2- Increasing Cha to 18 to improve aura of protection and spell/channel divinity DC
3- Taking the Mage Slayer feat. We fought Baba Lysaga and ended up with our asses handed to us, so a rematch is in order; Strahd is quite powerfull with his spells, Amber Temple is our next objective and I'm sure there'll be magic users there...

I'm aware that with both auras I should be fine, but I think that either asi or the feat can make sense. What do you suggest?

Thanks!

I would probably go with Cha, but it'd be more optimal to go with Dex. I would take the feat only
if your confident it will be used heavily throughout the campaign.

stoutstien
2019-05-02, 04:32 PM
Mage Slayer doesn't work well honestly. I'd vote for Cha increase for the party wide save bonus but I tend to be more in a support mind set with pally.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-02, 04:33 PM

Thanks!

If you have a bunch of casters, Aura of Protection might be worth upgrading with Charisma. Otherwise, Mage Slayer is a good choice if you know that your team needs it (like if your team doesn't have Counterspell). Dexterity might seem like a good choice for more AC, but I find that, as a Paladin who's resistant to magic, you'll probably find yourself one of the last people to go down, and your damage is probably just fine.

GlenSmash!
2019-05-02, 04:37 PM
I also think mage slayer would mostly be of marginal help.

Dex or Cha ASI are both great choices.

Waazraath
2019-05-02, 04:39 PM

Thanks!

I'd go either dex or cha; mage slayer is a bit too situational for me.

sithlordnergal
2019-05-02, 04:40 PM
I'd boost Charisma over Dex. An extra point of Dex is nice, but boosting Charisma gives you +1 to all saves, and all of your friend's saves. Mix that with the Aura of Warding, and you're going to be able to ignore most spells.

PwrHngryTortois
2019-05-02, 06:02 PM
Charisma for sure, Aura of Protection is fantastic and boosting it is always a good idea. Should boost some of your spells too which is nice value.

Yuroch Kern
2019-05-04, 11:49 AM
My vote is for Charisma. Maintaining reach with Mage Slayer is generally difficult without high mobility or a reach weapon. You mentioned better damage with Dex, so you are not using a polearm and probably not using a whip. That or a grapple, which doesn't seem what your 10 Strength is used for.