PDA

View Full Version : What're your custom weapon lists?

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-02, 06:12 PM
I'd like to see your weapons lists, guys. If you have any, please mention any live experience you have using it, and how the changes worked out.

Please try to keep the lists simple and succinct for everyone. Having a paragraph explaining a new trait is fine, having a paragraph for every one of your Special traited, weird, eastern weapons is less so.

stoutstien
2019-05-02, 07:39 PM
Main gauche/ ring dagger/ party daggers - finesse- 1d4 piercing - as a bonus action you can gain a +1 bonus to AC untill end of your next turn.

Heavy armor gauntlets- 1d4 blunt damage- all heavy armours have them

Bar mace/ blackjack - finesse - 1d4 blunt

Sling staff- 2hd- along with triple range

WickedAprostate
2019-05-02, 08:22 PM
Double Edge- +1 Greatsword /Re-roll 1's and 20's, must use the second roll. (not mine, cannot remember where I first saw it)

Blooded Cutlass +1 Cutlass (longsword) Blood spilt on this blade cannot be cleaned off. Not a magic weapon, but if used to kill a particularly magical/poisonous/etc. creature it can deal that form of damage on top of the slashing damage. Perhaps until enough additional normal blood has coated it.

I toyed with changing out the staff in Phandelver to gloves for one of my players monk who was having some trouble keeping up with the party. Giving it the web and spider climb charges, and upping the unarmed damage to a d6. Unfortunately said monk met his end before we could try them out.

I'm a new DM so that's all I have had the courage to mess with, looking forward to others!

Wryte
2019-05-02, 08:26 PM
New Weapons

Martial Spear: Martial Weapon. 1d6 Piercing. Reach, Versatile (1d8).

Weapon Changes

Dagger: Special: Can be used as the off-hand weapon for Two Weapon Fighting even when the main hand weapon isn't Light.

Greatclub: 1d10 damage die.

Flail: Special: Ignores AC bonuses from reactions (ex: Parry) other than the Shield spell.

Property Changes

Finesse: All non-Heavy melee weapons have this property.

Heavy: Instead of disadvantaging Small wielders, now have Strength requirements to wield without disadvantage. 1d8 = 11 Str, 1d10 = 13 Str, 1d12/2d6 = 15 Str.

Versatile: All non-Two-Handed melee weapons have this property.

WickedAprostate
2019-05-02, 08:33 PM
New Weapons

Weapon Changes

Dagger: Special: Can be used as the off-hand weapon for Two Weapon Fighting even when the main hand weapon isn't Light.

Flail: Special: Ignores AC bonuses from reactions (ex: Parry) other than the Shield spell.

Property Changes

Heavy: Instead of disadvantaging Small wielders, now have Strength requirements to wield without disadvantage. 1d8 = 11 Str, 1d10 = 13 Str, 1d12/2d6 = 15 Str.

I really like the Martial Spear, I feel like spears are pretty underwhelming as written, but I've always been partial to spear wielders in general (Iliad heroes, Kaladin, etc.).

berserker7878
2019-05-03, 02:38 AM
RAKHAM, rare:
shield +2+2, inteliggent items, it's a soul paladin in the shield, loyal good, and one per day i gain +5 CA when i cry her name in action bonus.
in my experience, this shield save my life more and more time, and i like this shield because, sometime he help me for task ( exemple, light in dark, remove sand in desert etc..), it's a friend for me.

SNAGA, super rare:
sword +2,it's a sword forge by the better blacksmith dwarf of my campaign ( it's a blacksmith for the half god), the dwarf forge this sword when the sun it's high in the sky, i gain this sword in the last dungeon and i don't know all of their power and abilities, but my DM say it's a good sword and becarful when you use this sword in highnoon...

Mjolnirbear
2019-05-03, 03:33 AM
New Weapons

Weapon Changes

Property Changes

The dagger fix is elegant, solving historical realism whilst firmly shutting the door on unintended consequences or splatbook power creep.

I've added a Double property. 'Treated as two-weapon fighting'. Polearm master turns the relevant weapons into double weapons.

My whip has a Trip property. You can choose to trip an opponent instead of doing damage.

I've a caestus. Basically brass knuckles or a reinforced glove. No special properties.

War Fan. Is a monk weapon. Imposes disadvantage on searches for weapons.

Garrotte. Does no damage, two-handed, Special. Use to attack a Surprised, Restrained, or paralysed creature. Success means the target is also grappled and suffocating (rules as drowning, after the hold your breath part).

Zhorn
2019-05-03, 10:59 AM
I like to take the different weapons from the monster manual (and other published reference books) and treat them as exotic weapons.
Example; group recently fought a Redcap, so they've looted a wicked sickle (2d4, one handed), and i've given it a some magic item flavor the party is yet to identify.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-03, 11:14 AM
A few of mine:

Changes to Weapons:

Polearms now have Unbalanced.

Most curved slashing weapons now have Savage.

Axes and piercing melee weapons now have Breaker.

Crossbows are now Simple weapons. Changes to Loading below.

Bows are now Martial weapons.

Whip: 1d6 Slashing, Grappling, Reach, Unbalanced

New Weapon:

Chain: 1d8 Bludgeoning, Two Handed, Grappling, Reach, Simple
Garrote: No Damage, Two Handed, Finesse, Grappling, Special, Martial

Some changes to traits:

Unbalanced: Unless you spend a bonus action, attacks with this weapon while an enemy is adjacent to you are made with Disadvantage.

Loading (replacing the existing loading feature): You reload this weapon by spending your Bonus Action while you have a free hand.

Grappling: When you make an attack with this weapon as part of your Action, you can instead attempt to grapple the target with it. You make your attack roll against their contested Strength (Athletics) or Strength (Acrobatics) check, using the reach of the weapon for as long as you hold it. While grappling this way, you cannot attack with the weapon, and the target must remain within reach of the weapon or the grapple is released. The target may spend their Action to attempt to break free from the grapple, making another contested check against your Attack Roll.

Savage: You can attempt to hit the target where it is most vulnerable. You get a penalty up to your Proficiency of your choosing to your attack roll, and gain twice of that penalty as a bonus to your damage on that attack.

Breaker: You use your weapon to attempt to hit an enemy through their tough armor. You get a bonus to your attack roll of your choosing, up to your proficiency, and have double of that bonus as a penalty to its damage.

Special-Garrote: If the target is aware of you when you attempt your Grapple with this weapon, the target has Advantage. Any other attempts to break this grapple are made with Disadvantage. While grappled this way, the creature cannot make any noise and suffers Exhaustion at the end of its turn.

DarkKnightJin
2019-05-03, 11:31 AM
I've added a Double property. 'Treated as two-weapon fighting'. Polearm master turns the relevant weapons into double weapons.

I made the opposite of that for a magic item I've designed for my campaign.
Twin Scimitars, but they count as a 2-handed weapon instead of two-weapon fighting. I've baked a nice bonus action use into the weapon itself, so even if the player that winds up using them prefers TWF, they get an upgrade regardless.

I hope they enjoy it when they find it.

I also totally didn't base these things off Kratos' Blades of Chaos/Athena.

NRSASD
2019-05-03, 11:56 AM
I'm about to write up a custom list of my own, mostly to give a couple options for spear/make it stronger. The primary purpose though is to make different damage types more useful, as certain armors and monsters will now have resistance to 1 kind of incoming damage.

This way, there are more interesting choices for players to make without becoming overly complex. Hopefully! It also means that a fighter packing a small arsenal worth of weapons is a good idea.

Misterwhisper
2019-05-03, 02:13 PM
Spiked Chain:
Martial Weapon but also a monk weapon.
1d6 Slashing Damage
Finesse
Two Handed
8 lbs
10 ft reach

FEAT:

Chain Bind

+1 Dexterity
When you successfully hit an opponent within 5 feet of you with a spiked chain you may choose to do no damage with the attack and instead use the attack roll as a check to grapple the opponent.
Your opponent has disadvantage to escape from a grapple made in this way.
As long as you maintain this grapple you may not attack another enemy with your spiked chain.
Every time that your enemy attempts to escape a grapple made by your spiked chain and fails, they take 1d6 points of damage.

Parrying Dagger:
Martial Weapon
1d4 piercing
Finesse
Light
1lb
While wielded in the off hand you may use a bonus action to gain a +1 AC until the start of your next turn.

Spiked Shield
Martial Weapon
1d4 Piercing Versatile 1D6
This weapon is attached to a normal shield and gives you proficiency in using the shield as a weapon.
This weapon may be enchanted as normal separately from the shield itself.
If you have a strength score of 14 or higher this weapon is considered light.

Waterdeep Merch
2019-05-03, 03:47 PM
Armor

Armor
Cost
Armor Class (AC)
Strength
Stealth
Weight

Light

Chain Shirt
50 gp
13 + Dex Modifier (max 2)
-
-
20 lbs.

Shields

Buckler
5 gp
+1
-
-
2 lbs.

Round Shield
10 gp
+2
-
-
6 lbs.

Heater Shield
12 gp
+2
-
-
6 lbs.

Tower Shield
20 gp
-
Disadvantage
10 lbs.

Buckler
A buckler is a small, lightweight, handheld shield that is easy to use. It can be donned or doffed as though you were interacting with an item. If you have proficiency with light armor, you are proficient with bucklers.

Round Shield
A round shield is made from a large wooden frame over which is stretched a thick hide with a metal boss at its center. It can be donned or doffed as though you were interacting with an item.

Heater Shield
A heater shield is metal-reinforced, often with a flat plane that may be decorated as the user desires. It takes an action to don or doff a heater shield normally, but you may also take one minute to strap it tightly around your arm with padded buckles, making it impossible to disarm normally but also requiring 30 seconds to doff.

Tower Shield
A tower shield is an enormous, box-shaped shield made of strong woods and supple leather. It grants you ¾ cover. Creatures that you attack with a melee weapon are granted half-cover against you. It takes an action to don or doff a tower shield normally, but you may also take one minute to strap it tightly around your arm with padded buckles, making it impossible to disarm normally but also requiring 30 seconds to doff.

Weapons

Weapon
Cost
Damage
Weight
Properties

Simple Ranged

Boomerang
2 gp
1d4 bludgeoning
1/2 lb.
Finesse, Thrown (40/120)

Shuriken
1 sp
1 piercing
-
Finesse, Thrown (60/180), Special

Martial Ranged

Composite Bow
50 gp
1d6 piercing
3 lbs.
Ammunition (range 80/320), Two-Handed, Special

Military Sling
1 sp
1d8 bludgeoning
-
Ammunition (range 120/360)

Martial Melee

Katana
50 gp
1d8 slashing
3 lbs.
Finesse, Versatile (2d4), Great

Parrying Dagger
2gp
1d4 piercing
1 lb.
Finesse, Light, Special

Alchemical Ranged

Acid
25 gp
1d4 bludgeoning
1 lb.
Finesse, Thrown (range 10/20), Grenade (5 feet, 1d6 acid)

Alchemist's Fire
50 gp
1d4 bludgeoning
1 lb.
Finesse, Thrown (range 10/20), Grenade (5 feet, 1d8 fire)

Alchemist's Frost
50 gp
1d4 bludgeoning
1 lb.
Finesse, Thrown (range 10/20), Grenade (5 feet, 1d6 cold)

Ground Glass
5 sp
1d4 piercing
1 lb.
Finesse, Thrown (range 5/10), Grenade (1 foot, Special)

Holy Water
25 gp
1d4 bludgeoning
1 lb.
Finesse, Thrown (range 10/20), Grenade (5 feet, Special)

Iron Bomb
100 gp
1d6 bludgeoning
2 lbs.
Finesse, Thrown (range 10/20), Grenade (10 feet, 1d8 piercing + 1d6 fire), Special

Oil
1 sp
1d4 bludgeoning
1 lb.
Finesse, Thrown (range 10/20), Grenade (5 feet, Special)

Grenade

A weapon with the Grenade special ability explodes or otherwise releases something upon impact. Any creature within the range listed is caught in the blast and must make a Dexterity Saving Throw (DC=8+your Dexterity modifier) or else suffer the effects of the grenade. If the grenade deals damage, successful saves take half damage while failed saves take the full damage.

Acid
This glass bottle contains a violent acidic liquid. If a creature is hit with it, the bottle shatters and douses them with the acid.

Alchemist’s Fire
This ceramic, corked jar is filled with a paste that combusts into flames when exposed to air. When thrown at a creature, it explodes into flames.

Alchemist’s Frost
This pressurized tin holds a freezing gas that can instantly turn water to ice. The tin is designed to crunch when thrown, releasing the gas.

Boomerang
A lightweight plank of wood with a curved interior, meant to sail through the air. When thrown, if you fail to hit a target, the boomerang returns to your hand.

Composite Bow
The string on this bow is held extremely taut by the combination of horn, sinew, and wood that makes up the shaft. You may use your Strength instead of your Dexterity when making ranged weapon attacks with this weapon.

Elven Longsword/Katana
The elves prefer these slender, curved blades over the more common longsword for it's cutting potential. Non-elf civilizations from the east have their own, similar variation called the katana.

Ground Glass
This soft bag is filled with powdered glass. The shards can cause pain when they strike, as well as blind the creature. If a creature is hit by a bag of ground glass, they must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or be blinded until they take an action to wash out their eyes with water or a similar element.

Holy Water
These blessed waters have different effects on different creatures. To most, it is no different from regular, pure water. To members of the faith that produced it, a flask of holy water can be drank as an action to restore 2d4+2 hit points. When used as a thrown weapon, it deals 2d6 radiant damage to every fiend and undead within it's grenade range.

Iron Bomb
This metal orb is filled with gunpowder and has a wick. The bomb must have it's wick lit as a bonus action with a source of fire before throwing, else it only works as a grenade weapon if it is thrown at an open flame. Each bomb can have a different sort of wick, determined at creation but replaceable and interchangeable- they can be designed to explode immediately after being thrown, or can take upwards of five minutes.

Military Sling
This is the same sling as the one listed under simple weapons, but any who are proficient with all martial ranged weaponry may use these rules for it when they attack with a sling.

Oil
This small jar of oil covers everything in its grenade range with a slick petrol when thrown. The terrain requires a DC 12 Acrobatics (Dexterity) ability check to move across, or they fall prone. The petrol is also flammable- until it is washed away, any open flame introduced to the petrol will cause the terrain and any creatures that are adjacent to it to become enflamed, taking 1d6 Fire damage at the beginning of every turn they are either in a fire or on fire until an action is taken to douse the flames, or they are hit with enough water or 5 points of cold damage.

Parrying Dagger
A parrying dagger is the perfect supplement to a duelist’s fighting style. You may make an offhand attack with a parrying dagger even if your primary weapon is not light. Doing so grants you +1 AC until the beginning of your next turn.

Shuriken
These small, spiked metal disks are designed more for distraction than lethality, though they are excellent for delivering poison. When you use an attack to throw a shuriken, you may throw three. You cannot move or take other actions between these attacks, as they must all be made at once.

Equipment Changes

Add ‘great’ to greatswords, greataxes, and mauls.
Add Versatile to glaives, halberds, and pikes. Change their damage to d8 (d10).

Class Additions and Changes

Formation Fighting Style
Available to Fighters and Paladins when they can select a Fighting Style.
You may use the Help action as a free action to aid an ally in attacking a creature you have made a melee attack against with a polearm, even if the creature was not within 5 feet of you. You may only use this ability once on your turn.

Throwing Fighting Style
Available to Fighters and Rangers when they can select a Fighting Style.
You can draw a throwing weapon with the same action required to attack with it. You do not suffer disadvantage when attacking at long range with a thrown weapon.
If you throw only light weapons with an Attack action, you may throw one additional light weapon as a bonus action and add your ability modifier to the damage roll.

Two-Weapon Fighting Style
Paladins may select Two-Weapon Fighting Style.

Great Weapon Fighting Style
Rangers may select Great Weapon Fighting Style.

Feat Additions and Changes

Defensive Duelist
Remove the Dexterity 13 requirement.
Replace the finesse caveat with ‘does not work with polearms’.
Add:
• You have one additional reaction each turn. It may only be used to make an attack of opportunity so long as you are only wielding one one-handed weapon that isn’t a polearm.

Dual Wielder
Remove the +1 AC. Add an addendum about not functioning with polearms. Add:
• Whenever you hit a creature with a weapon while you are wielding two non-polearm one-handed weapons in each hand, add a cumulative +1 to your attacks against that creature. Any additions gained by this feat are lost at the beginning of your next turn.
• When you reach level 11 and have the Extra Attack class feature, you may make two offhand attacks with a bonus action instead of one.

Great Weapon Master
Replace the Great Weapon Master feat with the following-
• When you make a melee attack with a great weapon that you are proficient in, double the damage added by your Strength ability modifier.
• When you hit with a melee attack with a great weapon that you are proficient in, you may deal your Strength modifier to one additional target within reach. You may add any additional magical enhancements to your weapon attacks against this extra target, such as weapon enchantments and on-hit spell effects.

Grappler
Replace the Grappler feat with the following:
• Creatures you are grappling that are your size or smaller have disadvantage on Strength (Athletics) and Dexterity (Acrobatic) checks made to escape your grapple.
• While you maintain your grapple on a creature, you can prevent one of their limbs from being used for anything. Choose which limb at the end of each turn in which you are maintaining a grapple.
• Creatures you are grappling have disadvantage when attacking you with any melee weapon attack that lacks the ‘Light’ property. This includes natural weapons.
• Ranged weapon attacks and spells that make an attack roll have disadvantage against you while you are grappling a creature. If an attack roll misses you this way, they hit the creature you are grappling instead if the higher roll successfully hits their AC.

Polearm Master
Add ‘You may only make a haft strike if you are wielding a polearm in both hands’.

Sharpshooter
Replace the part about ignoring cover with:
• Treat three-quarters cover as half cover and half cover as no cover when making ranged weapon attacks.
Replace the -5 attack for +10 damage with:
• Before you make an attack with a ranged weapon that you are proficient with, you can choose to take a penalty to the attack roll up to your proficiency bonus. If the attack hits, you add double the penalty you took to the attack’s damage.

Throwing Master
You are an expert at using an assortment of thrown weapons. You gain the following benefits whenever you make a ranged attack with a thrown weapon:
• Grenade weapons like alchemist’s fire and acid add your proficiency bonus to the DC’s to avoid damage.
• Nets add your proficiency bonus to the DC’s to escape them.
• If a creature is benefiting from cover that does not extend above it, you may ignore it. If the creature has total cover, you still count as blinded for the purposes of attacking it.
• Boomerang weapons always return to you when thrown.
• If you have made a thrown weapon attack against a creature since the end of your last turn and it makes a movement you can see, you may make an attack of opportunity with a thrown weapon against it as a reaction, provided that there was already a throwing weapon in your hand or you had a free hand to draw one.

EDIT: Forgot to add the grenade rule for clarification. It's pretty obvious, but I'm nothing if not needlessly thorough.

Shuruke
2019-05-03, 03:53 PM
The dagger fix is elegant, solving historical realism whilst firmly shutting the door on unintended consequences or splatbook power creep.

My whip has a Trip property. You can choose to trip an opponent instead of doing damage.

I've a caestus. Basically brass knuckles or a reinforced glove. No special properties.

War Fan. Is a monk weapon. Imposes disadvantage on searches for weapons.

Garrotte. Does no damage, two-handed, Special. Use to attack a Surprised, Restrained, or paralysed creature. Success means the target is also grappled and suffocating (rules as drowning, after the hold your breath part).

For garrotte u could look at Ettercap web garrote
Dont have it on me rn

Wryte
2019-05-03, 03:59 PM
Brass Knuckles: Simple Melee Weapon. Adds +1 bonus bludgeoning damage to unarmed attacks.

GlenSmash!
2019-05-03, 04:06 PM
Polehammer like a glaive or halberd but bludgeoning.

GlenSmash!
2019-05-03, 04:07 PM
I really like the Martial Spear, I feel like spears are pretty underwhelming as written, but I've always been partial to spear wielders in general (Iliad heroes, Kaladin, etc.).

Spears being added to the Polearm Master feat have made them far from underwhelming anymore.

CTurbo
2019-05-03, 04:40 PM
New weapons

Great Morning Star - same stats as Maul but does 1d6 bludgeoning and 1d6 piercing
Spiked Chain - Special Martial, 2d4 slashing, 10ft reach, 2 handed, finesse, 10% chance of damaging self on nat 1
Longspear - same stats as spear, but trades the "Thrown" property for "Reach"
Chain Whip - Martial, same stats as Whip but trades the finesse property for 1d6 damage die.

Changes to existing weapons

Morningstar - deals 1d4 bludgeoning and 1d4 piercing damage
Trident - deals 1d6+1 damage one handed and 2d4+1 damage 2 handed

Damon_Tor
2019-05-03, 04:54 PM
Trident - Martial Melee Weapon
Damage: 1d4 Piercing
Thrown 20/60, Versatile 1d6, Special
Special: When you attack with a trident and beat the defender's AC by 3 or more, roll an additional weapon damage die. If you beat the defender's AC by 6 or more, roll another additional weapon damage die.

I came up with this change for a PC playing a Triton champion fighter who really wanted to love playing with a trident. This version plays great with the Champion's expanded crit range and with the Great Weapon Fighting style. It's intended to overperform against low-armored enemies and underperform against high-armored enemies. Advantage is more important than usual.

MrStabby
2019-05-03, 05:23 PM
A few I have used:

Fire Censer - giving martials access to elemental damage
Sickle - d4 damage but expanded critical range (19,20)
Scythe - forces a dex save rather than an attack roll
Bolas - 15 ft reach with grapple effect
Garrote - stupidly over complicated mistake with mishmash of skill and attack rolls that added the bookkeeping of tracking time...

All of these were "exotic weapons" so needed more than martial weapon proficiency, specifically the weapon master feat. Indeed, it began as a "fix" for the feat - what happens if you actually get something interesting there. As such they are deliberately just a little more powerful than martial weapons.

Desteplo
2019-05-03, 09:36 PM
I made a list similar to fire emblem style. Basically material making for a more effective weapon.

Bronze (+1 hit, -1 Damage)
Iron (+0)
Steel (-1 hit, +2 Damage)
Silver (+1/+1)
Adamatine (+1/+1, on a miss you deal Damage equal to attack modifier)

Puh Laden
2019-05-04, 09:49 AM
Player wanted to use a double-axe. So I added this property:
double -- when you make an attack with this weapon, you use the first die listed and add your ability modifier to damage. When wielding this weapon two-handed, you can make an attack with the second die listed as a bonus action but you don't add your ability modifier to damage.

For example:
symmetrical double-axe: d6/d6 slashing, heavy, double
asymmetrical double-axe: d8/d4 slashing, heavy, double

(Note: if this is in one of the newer pdf-only supplements, I don't know; I don't have the Eberron thing or whatever. I just heard they added new weapons.)

Change: all light weapons can be used with two-weapon fighting regardless of being melee or ranged.

Magical Weapon: Icicle Lance -- a lance that deals an extra 1d6 cold damage and if the wielder is attuned to it, it emanates an aura of fire resistance in a 10-ft. radius around the wielder (the wielder also gains fire resistance).