PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Is an Unseen Servant immune to almost all spells?

Merudo
2019-05-03, 03:16 AM
The Unseen Servant is a "force", not a creature or object. Am I correct to say that this makes it immune to nearly all spells?

For example, Fireball only does damage to creatures, not to "forces". Same for Sacred Flame, Cone of Cold, Wall of Fire, etc.

And debuffs such as Hypnotic Pattern & Fear require the target to be a creature, too.

An Unseen Servant can even move around without triggering an Alarm spell, and can enter a Tiny Hut freely.

OP much?!

Unoriginal
2019-05-03, 03:18 AM
Spell effects can't enter Tiny Hut. Nor do anything harmful (except, I guess, carrying poison).

There is nothing OP about it.

Now, the upgraded version of Unseen Servant which can actually fight counts as a creature.

Merudo
2019-05-03, 03:22 AM
Spell effects can't enter Tiny Hut.

A spell can't "extend" through the dome. The Unseen Servant is not "extending", it's moving inside.

Unoriginal
2019-05-03, 03:30 AM
A spell can't "extend" through the dome. The Unseen Servant is not "extending", it's moving inside.

So you think that a Flaming Sphere can get into the Tiny Hut?

Merudo
2019-05-03, 03:33 AM
So you think that a Flaming Sphere can get into the Tiny Hut?

The Flaming Sphere is an object, which is barred from passing through.

Unoriginal
2019-05-03, 03:42 AM
If you want to rule that way, then go for it.

But I reiterate, there is nothing OP about Unseen Servant. You can't defeat monsters by doing their laundry, and it's so weak a slap from a Commoner would destroy it.

KorvinStarmast
2019-05-03, 08:03 AM
The Unseen Servant is a "force", not a creature or object. Am I correct to say that this makes it immune to nearly all spells?

For example, Fireball only does damage to creatures, not to "forces". Same for Sacred Flame, Cone of Cold, Wall of Fire, etc.

And debuffs such as Hypnotic Pattern & Fear require the target to be a creature, too.

An Unseen Servant can even move around without triggering an Alarm spell, and can enter a Tiny Hut freely.

OP much?! The Hut keeps magical effects out. The U.S. is a magical effect. (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/a/147370/22566) While I applaud Unseen Servant shenanigans as a general principle, this one won't quite cut it.

Kurt Kurageous
2019-05-03, 08:32 AM
If you want to rule that way, then go for it.

But I reiterate, there is nothing OP about Unseen Servant. You can't defeat monsters by doing their laundry, and it's so weak a slap from a Commoner would destroy it.

Unseen servant can pull/trip a trigger, but can't pull/trip a foe. It's just not made for combat.

Cicciograna
2019-05-03, 09:25 AM
You can't defeat monsters by doing their laundry

Dunno, I'd rule that it is specifically effective against a Raggamoffyn :smallbiggrin:

Merudo
2019-05-05, 02:03 AM

I was trying to be sarcastic but I can see how my post was unclear.