PDA

View Full Version : Chef

SpicyBoi_Nezu
2019-05-03, 08:38 AM
I want to play a character who is a chef on the side, where every time he goes into a new town, he sets up his cart and sells food to earn some extra money.

Whats the best way to go about doing that, because I believe he should need Craft (Idk, whatever food hes making), maybe profession (Chef). But aside from that, I have no clue how to actually make a chef.

Cygnia
2019-05-03, 08:56 AM
I'd say ranks in Diplomacy (to sell the food and haggle for products) and Appraise (to get quality ingredients) would be worthwhile. Survival too, as working with less than ideal items always could come up. As they say, someone had to have been brave enough to eat the first snail...

As for class, someone with access to Prestidigitation as a spell to enhance the scent/taste/mouth feel as needed. Maybe a Bard with Perform: Oratory to really help sell the dish.

Uncle Pine
2019-05-03, 10:13 AM
I once had a half-orc barbarian who after being the sole survivor of a near-TPK by the hands of a group of driders/assorted spider-themed creatures went back to town and set up a broth shop: Korg Boiled Chicken was, as you'd guess, specialized in boiling chickens. The character wasn't particularly smart and split his time between running the shop and a wizardry fighting ring inside of it, but thankfully he had a chicken infested commoner cohort that helped with the former (while also providing a limitless supply of ingredients).

To make a long story short, I suggest to either nab a chicken infested commoner friend along the way or start your career as one.

Falontani
2019-05-03, 11:03 AM
Look into House Ghallanda, the Dragonmark of Hospitality, and Black Dog. Perform Cooking + fascinate could be pretty good. From book of vile darkness there is a feat that makes you immune to one poison. It's very useful if you want to bluff people into eating poisoned food.

Climowitz
2019-05-03, 11:19 AM
I would say the best way is to use or create some homebrew. If not possible I would go with a mix of ranger and scout, profession Chef and the trophy feats (snatch trophy, trophy collector and trophy hunter) . Some magic items that fit the cooking theme and use a giant fork and giant knife as weapons trident and glaive would do the trick. Perhaps monkey grip to wear them as one handed and light weapons so you can have twf. And then work with your dm to get a way of using the dead parts of your hunts.

Gallowglass
2019-05-03, 11:22 AM
Work with your DM to make sure he understands that you want this to be a meaningful part of your character, so that it becomes a roleplaying element to the future sessions.

Otherwise, just take profession(food vendor) and make your weekly downtime roll to see how many gold you make at it. Everything else is simplified away to that base mechanic.

But if you want to actually experience it, your DM needs to incorporate it so you have to take action to find your ingredients, plan your menu, socially interact with your customer base, pick up some clue to a future adventure while overhearing two guardsmen talking while eating your hotdogs, etc.

Uncle Pine
2019-05-03, 12:45 PM
I forgot to mention that Complete Arcane has rules for edible (no, not those ones) potions, so you might want to check those, along with the Master Alchemist PrC from Magic of Faerun. Only if crackers of haste and tacos of fireball fit what you had in mind.

MultitudeMan
2019-05-03, 03:07 PM
Belkar Bitterleaf, the sexy shoeless god of cooking!

Dr_Dinosaur
2019-05-04, 02:53 PM
If you can get permission for Spheres of Might, the Iron Chef archetype of the Blacksmith class gets cooking-related features

Thurbane
2019-05-04, 07:10 PM
There's some vaguely chef/cook related ideas here: [3.5] Southern Magician (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?536210)

Here's what I've got so far (rough draft):

Cormund Sharpwinds

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/6f/45/0d/6f450dbe72ace1549880492f069962d3--fantasy-wizard-the-wizard.jpg
Male Mulan Human Commoner 1/Wizard 9 (maybe Conjuror 9 instead)
Str 8 Dex 10 Con 13 Int 15 (+2) Wis 12 Cha 14
Feats: Able Learner, Chicken Infested (flaw), Eschew Materials, Imbued Summoning, Improved Familiar (Blood Hawk?), Improved Initiative, Scribe Scroll, Skill Focus (profession: cook), Southern Magician
Skills: Concentration 13, Craft (alchemy) 5, Diplomacy 5, Handle Animal 13, Knowledge (nature) 5, Profession (cook) 13, Spellcraft 13, Spot 5