PDA

View Full Version : Boon of Quick Casting

SolvAnt
2019-05-03, 08:46 AM
Hi,
So my character (a wizard) just received a boon of quick casting.
It lets me choose a spell of 1-3 level and cast it as a bonus action instead of an action.
I am looking for recommandation as wich spell to choose. As I received this while making a level any spell is availible te me (I can just scribe this new spell as one of my +2 per level).

I really do not know what to choose please help me. Thanks

DrKerosene
2019-05-03, 09:07 AM
What level are you, and what is the Party composition?

I would think a buff spell, like Haste, may be cool if you have a couple party members who could benefit from it.

Enhance Ability may be more utility based and allows for some defensive uses.

Hard to turn your nose up at Fireball or Magic Missile if you’re just in a combat meatgrinder game..

darknite
2019-05-03, 09:13 AM
Misty Step. Never walk again.

hymer
2019-05-03, 09:14 AM
I'm guessing you're not a bladesinger? That might change things. Can you upcast the spell? Over third level?
Mirror Image would be attractive, as would Invisibility.

Misty Step. Never walk again.
That's already a bonus action cast.

SolvAnt
2019-05-03, 09:17 AM
I am level 8 war magic wizard. I know it is quite early for epic boons but it is a very high magic game and the DM handles it very well.

We have a Druid, a monk and a ''fighter'' (actually a 3rd party dragon knight but does pretty much the same as a fighter)

I am guessing I can upcast the spell. It is not specified in the dungeon master book. I see no reason it would not work.

Ventruenox
2019-05-03, 11:25 AM
Hold Person would be a decent choice. The martials get to auto-crit, and the Druid gets to cast all those fun Dex-save spells or make use of wildshaped abilities.

Frozenstep
2019-05-03, 11:53 AM
Hold Person would be a decent choice. The martials get to auto-crit, and the Druid gets to cast all those fun Dex-save spells or make use of wildshaped abilities.

Certainly powerful, but only being able to use it on humanoids is a huge negative in my eyes.

I would personally go with mirror image. It's a good non-concentration buff that helps against a lot of enemies. Being able to refresh it and still cast a cantrip or use an action for something like telekinesis/sunbeam's ongoing actions is good stuff.

SolvAnt
2019-05-03, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the input. I was thinking about fireball for a fun combo :
Turn 1cast improved invisibility
Tunr 2 cast minor illusion to create a small idol in the shape of a dragon or just an angry faced totem. Then cast fireball so that it seems to come from the illusion. Use movement to get away

Would work with any attack spell. But fireball is a little situational (especially with a monk and a fighter in the group)

I like the idea of taking a defensive spell like mirror image. I usually keep my 2nd level slots for misty step but i can spare a couple I guess.

I still got 2 weeks to make my mind so if you get more ideas I am listening. I tell my DM that using the community to help me decide is how I roleplay INT 20.

Shuruke
2019-05-03, 02:11 PM
Tunr 2 cast minor illusion to create a small idol in the shape of a dragon or just an angry faced totem. Then cast fireball so that it seems to come from the illusion. Use movement to get away

Would work with any attack spell. But fireball is a little situational (especially with a monk and a fighter in the group)

I like the idea of taking a defensive spell like mirror image. I usually keep my 2nd level slots for misty step but i can spare a couple I guess.

I still got 2 weeks to make my mind so if you get more ideas I am listening. I tell my DM that using the community to help me decide is how I roleplay INT 20.

Might just be me
But I say magic missle
Cuz magic missle

Keravath
2019-05-03, 02:48 PM
I would think that you would want to choose a spell that would synergize with whatever you plan to use your action for on the same turn.

Casting a leveled spell as a bonus action means that you can ONLY cast cantrips as your action.

Action options would typically be attack, dash, dodge, disengage, hide, cast a cantrip. So perhaps look for combinations of a bonus action cast spell that would work well with your action.

Hold person or hold monster would let you use your action to make an attack/cast an attack cantrip against the held creature usually improving your chances to hit.

Bonus action greater invisibility lets you vanish AND attack/cast a cantrip on the first round which could be very useful.

Yunru
2019-05-03, 03:13 PM
Honestly for a pure wizard Boon of Quick Casting is actually kinda...
Substandard.
All because of the (from my experience) pointless restriction on bonus action spells.

Druids can do fine because of spells like Call Lightning, and Sorcerers who use quicken a lot have already accounted for it, but non-martial Bards and Wizards are just like "okay."
I guess it lets them dodge and cast?

Wildarm
2019-05-03, 03:40 PM
Some options if you're in melee often:
Thunderstep is pretty cool as a bonus action. Misty Step+
Vampiric Touch - Gives you 2 attacks immediately if you use your action - 6d6 damage + 3d6 Healing isn't bad

To be honest if I was to choose any spell it would likely be Dispel Magic. Bonus action ending magical effects will be strong throughout the game and super thematic for a war wizard to be casually slashing down a foes magical defenses with a flick of the wrist. Feeds into your power surge ability as well.

If you plan of going to level 18 as a wizard, honorary mention would likely go to invisibility. Being able to attack and go invisible as a bonus action after is strong even at 18th level. Mucks with concentration though. On the other hand, you may want to be always concentrating on something for your Durable Magic feature.

Unlimited scorching rays as a bonus action might be decent even if it's fire damage. Pairs well with Elemental Adept.

JackPhoenix
2019-05-03, 04:13 PM

Doesn't work. Even if you're invisible, you still have to speak the verbal component, revealing your position if you were hidden, and your position is still known until you take Hide action.

But Invisibility itself would be good pick. Turn invisible as BA, then use your action to Hide before moving away.

qube
2019-05-03, 04:39 PM
well, in effect, casting a spell as bonus action instead of action, allows you to cast it, an have an action for a cantrip or mundaine action. so, optimally, we'd need to look for synergy in those ... but what's the use of it, when you never use it?

My advice? chose something you use a lot - so you can keep using a lot, and get lots of 'free' cantrip attacks while you do it.

if you're out of ideas, why not firebolt.
Why firebolt? because it's a cantrip. and, cantrips (obviously) can be used a lot - getting lots and lots of use of the fact you can casti it now twice per turn.

At this level, that's (2x2d10), average 22 fire damage per turn, no resources spend.
Haste for an additional action, and you'll deal 12d10 at lvl 17 :)

SolvAnt
2019-05-03, 04:53 PM
I am well aware that using this ''combo'' I am not hiden. But it is fair to assume that most unintelligent mooks will think the fireball came from the illusion. Even if they perceive some weird humanoid that they can't see they might attack the illusion (maybe 50% of the time).
Coupled with the fact that being invisible grants disadvantage to attack against me I still consider that it does WORK (lets assume another 50% miss chance).
I just tanked damage while delivering fiery death!

But I conceide by strick boring RAW it does not work all the time.

Yunru
2019-05-03, 04:55 PM
well, in effect, casting a spell as bonus action instead of action, allows you to cast it, an have an action for a cantrip or mundaine action. so, optimally, we'd need to look for synergy in those ... but what's the use of it, when you never use it?

Honestly the best use is probably to combine it with the Dodge action. Or maybe on of the other non-attack, non-cast actions.

Digimike
2019-05-03, 06:28 PM
I'd actually go with something defensive like mirror image or blur.

Kane0
2019-05-03, 09:25 PM
Enlarge/Reduce

PhantomSoul
2019-05-04, 09:27 AM
I'd definitely prioritise (a) a low-level spell [more castings], and (b) a spell that doesn't require concentration [again, you can use this ability more].

(a) you get basically for free, but with the level ranges of my campaigns it means for me I'd aim for levels 1-2, and ideally level 1. It's a bonus if it's a spell that upcasts if that makes sense for the spell, but that's probably less crucial.

Rara1212
2019-05-04, 10:15 AM
Would the spell(s) chosen take spell slots to cast? If so, cantrips might be the best choice as someone here said.

qube
2019-05-04, 10:50 AM
another quick though - perhaps a single attack roll spell. This synergizes nicely with true strike. (you can first cast the cantrip, and then a bonus action spell)

Then, in effect, the boon is "get advantage on attacks with this spell" (of course, other options (like dodge action) are also still open)

Yunru
2019-05-04, 11:03 AM
another quick though - perhaps a single attack roll spell. This synergizes nicely with true strike. (you can first cast the cantrip, and then a bonus action spell)

Then, in effect, the boon is "get advantage on attacks with this spell" (of course, other options (like dodge action) are also still open)

No it's not. True Strike is only on your next turn.

qube
2019-05-04, 11:06 AM
No it's not. True Strike is only on your next turn.well, I'll be. I stand corrected.

(or at least, I'd chance my advice to "run it by your DM first" ;) )

PhantomSoul
2019-05-04, 11:16 AM
Would the spell(s) chosen take spell slots to cast? If so, cantrips might be the best choice as someone here said.

I'm guessing so (that seems like an important thing to specify if not), and the OP does specify levels 1-3 (no mention that cantrips might be allowed... and not fitting the restrictions suggesting they wouldn't be an option).

cZak
2019-05-04, 11:29 AM
I'd keep it simple
Ray o Frost
Doesn't cost a slot if the Boon doesn't make it free
Scales well

Does some nice damage & the rider effect of slowing the creature means using your Action to Disengage is a nice Get out o Trouble card
Even when you're not in a threatened spot, the opportunity to apply a Debuff every round as a Bonus action allows you to:
- maintain concentration on a spell
- cast a level spell with the two spells a round restriction; Level & Cantrip restriction
- limit enemy skirmishers

SolvAnt
2019-05-04, 06:46 PM
Hi playgrounders,
Thanks again for the suggestions. Sadly the boon of quick casting only covers spells from level 1 to level 3 meaning cantrips are out (it's on page 232 of the dungeon master guide). I can ask my DM if he is willing to let me choose a cantrip instead. It would greatly improve the ability tho, with the rule about casting as a bonus action.

And yes I still got to spend a spell slot to do so. Otherwise it would be horribly broken (level18wizardOP)

Yunru
2019-05-04, 08:40 PM
It would greatly improve the ability tho, with the rule about casting as a bonus action.

Actually it'd do the opposite I'm afraid. It's not "if you cast a bonus action spell and a regular action spell, one must be a cantrip" it's "if you cast a bonus action spell, the only other spell you may cast this turn is a cantrip."

ProsecutorGodot
2019-05-04, 09:01 PM
I'm going to go with a nontraditional, and definitely non optimal suggestion, Dispel Magic.

Reason being: You say you're a War Wizard and the 6th level Power Surge feature is, frankly, underwhelming. Why not make dispel magic more accessible so that you can be a better War Mage? This would allow you to collect additional power surges and use them quicker when you otherwise would have had to expend them on a subsequent turn or would have had better uses for your main action.

I think it would be a pretty appropriate choice, even though it's definitely not the best.

SolvAnt
2019-05-05, 05:01 PM
Thanks Yunru, sadly you are right about that rule on casting bonus action spells.

I thought about dispel magic but the power surge feature is so bad its un-redeemable. I use the free point and then forget about it.

What do you guys think about the Thunder step spell ? It becomes a better misty step that causes damage. But it uses 3rd level slots.

Crgaston
2019-05-05, 05:35 PM
What do you guys think about the Thunder step spell ? It becomes a better misty step that causes damage. But it uses 3rd level slots.
Thunder step would be awesome as a BA spell. But yeah, 3rd level slot... It is nicely upcastable, though. Might be a factor depending on how long your game goes.

With regard to True Strike/Attack spell shenanigans, it's doable, but delayed by a round.

Round 1: True strike
Round 2: True Strike and BA Chromatic Orb or what have you.

It's still a horrible cantrip.

What do you think about about something like Grease... A small AOE CC/Debuff that would benefit your melee allies and still let you do some cantrip damage or attack yourself? Also no Concentration, and it lasts a minute.

RSP
2019-05-05, 10:56 PM
Can you still choose to cast whatever spell selected as an Action?

Keep in mind, if not, you can never Counterspell a Counterspell of the selected BA spell.

If you do get to choose a cantrip, Blade Ward could be fun. You’ll get to play your Wizard like a raging Barb. Admittedly, this would be a better pick for a melee caster, like a Bladesinger, who can regularly use the Attack Action in lieu of casting.

Could also go with GFB or BB, and then just cast the other as your Action for two attacks with add ons.