PDA

View Full Version : Making the headless horseman

LordMalrog
2007-10-03, 07:18 PM
Well i've tasked myself recently to build the equivilant of the heshan mercanary (after death). I need an undead with out a head, and something that resembles a free will. I imagine he's a Fighter/barb/tempest mix. I'm just curious what undead type could fit his needs. Any ideas. Please try and post stats of said undead type/template ^^

JackMage666
2007-10-03, 08:56 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58184

It's Homebrew, but it's pretty fitting for what you're lookig for. I can't take credit for it, but it's very, very nice.

DraPrime
2007-10-03, 08:58 PM
Hmmm, well first of all think of how he's going to see without a head. And is he corporeal? What about his horse? As far as the mount goes I just say give a horse the fiendish template. If he has a weakness like not being able to cross a certain bridge, as in the original story, this might affect the CR.

Raolin_Fenix
2007-10-03, 09:05 PM
If he's really high-level, give him a Nightmare for a horse. :P

To fix some of the problems above, find a way to give him Blindsight, or at least Blindsense.

Mewtarthio
2007-10-03, 09:18 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58184

It's Homebrew, but it's pretty fitting for what you're lookig for. I can't take credit for it, but it's very, very nice.

You beat me to it, Jack! Anyway, I heartily second the endorsement, though it would be nice if we had some idea of intended CR.

MeklorIlavator
2007-10-03, 09:22 PM
I suggest a monk/kensia. Kensia can enchant a signature weapon. It specifically says that natural weapons count. A monk can make attacks with any part of thier body, such as the head. Therefor, you can enchant the head with Throwing and returning, and you have the perfect image.

Toliudar
2007-10-03, 09:48 PM
IIRC, nowhere in RAW does a creature require eyes to see. While this sounds dumb, there are lots of things that probably don't have eyes (oozes come to mind) that aren't treated as blind by RAW. Having an undead character that sees without a head isn't a particular stretch from, say, a skeleton, which doesn't have eyes.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-03, 09:51 PM
It could be a Ghost riding a Lesser Nightmare (It doesnt't have to be evil it could be a Paladin Variant Sacred Watcher or Spectral Harper (Both are basically Ghost variants)) that can not be put to rest who roams the highways and can not rest until it it's head is found or restored.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghost.htm

mostlyharmful
2007-10-04, 04:53 AM
Use the Death Knight template, take away his followers and spell-like abilities, add in immunity to gaze attacks, blindsight, immunity to the vorpal property and some knid of find person ability for whoever he's trying to kill. Pretty much spot on as far as i can see.

LordMalrog
2007-10-04, 02:26 PM
Use the Death Knight template, take away his followers and spell-like abilities, add in immunity to gaze attacks, blindsight, immunity to the vorpal property and some knid of find person ability for whoever he's trying to kill. Pretty much spot on as far as i can see.

LOL that's exactly what i did! I'm still going to look into that other one though ^^ thanks (by the way, i'm going for a sort of, Sleepy hallow remake, the one with johney depp horseman):smallsmile:

Abjurer
2007-10-04, 02:35 PM
If by "heshan" you mean "german mercenary", it's spelled "hessian"... and that's redundant.

No need to thank me, citizen. The grammar nazi is always here to help in the times you least want me. I now depart, to better drive crazy other poor souls with my obnoxious and unnecessary presence. :smallamused: Farewell!

Runolfr
2007-10-04, 02:49 PM
I think that both the Death Knight and Swordwraith templates are in the Fiend Folio. Either would probably work. Just assume that by whatever curse it unlives, it's also able to function without a head.

mostlyharmful
2007-10-04, 03:10 PM
LOL that's exactly what i did! I'm still going to look into that other one though ^^ thanks (by the way, i'm going for a sort of, Sleepy hallow remake, the one with johney depp horseman):smallsmile:

Great minds and all that...

Oh and the horseman was the guy that played Darth Maul, sooooo much cooler than the bumbling co-star:smallbiggrin:

alexi
2007-10-04, 08:52 PM
If by "heshan" you mean "german mercenary", it's spelled "hessian"... and that's redundant.

beat me to it, except whats with the redundent part?:smallconfused:

there were multiple German states that mercenarys came from. And just to point out most Hessians were not not mercenarys in the truest sense. Their prince collected the money from good (insane) King George, and then the prince forced conscripts to come over and fight. A good many then promptly diserted and fought for the US.