PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Out-of-combat Warlock build?

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-03, 02:56 PM
So say I'm a Shadow Sorcerer 3, Hexblade X Warlock as a flying Tiefling.

I've built my character around using Agonizing Blasts, Repelling Blasts, Hexblade's Curse, Quickened Spell and the occasional Super Darkness from Sorcerer. I don't really NEED my Warlock spell slots all that much. So I decide to just use them for non-combat utility.

The intent is to cast a high leveled spell or two to solve some problem or get into trouble, taking Short Rests in between major events. What spells would you guys grab?

pragma
2019-05-03, 03:02 PM
Gaseous Form, all day every day.

Xetheral
2019-05-03, 03:50 PM
Phantasmal Force is amazing for social situations, particularly intimidation or distraction. If the illusion is of a constricting iron band around the target's neck you can pull a Darth Vader. Burrowing scarab beetles are also nasty.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-05-03, 04:15 PM
Don't forget that Hex is useful out of combat. Causing disadvantage to an ability check with no save has all kinds of uses; it can ruin a victim's social skills (CHA), or prevent them from following you (WIS), or make it harder for them to hide from you (DEX).

My go-to spell for difficult situations out of combat is Suggestion. But it's extremely dependent on DM fiat. A properly worded Suggestion should be able to convince anyone to do anything that "sounds reasonable" and isn't "obviously harmful" but not everyone agrees on how broadly to interpret that.

On a related note: if the DM rules that Suggestion works well for your character, NPC spellcasters will be able to use it equally well against your group. Proceed with caution.

I've found Tongues is massively useful; language barriers become a non-issue when you've got this spell.

Dimension Door is the lowest level teleport that doesn't require line of sight. It'll get you into/out of almost anywhere. It's also a life saver if a monster swallows your character.

Other non-combat spells my current Warlock character likes to use: Hallucinatory Terrain (he hides our campsite with it), Dream (information gathering), and Scrying (even more information gathering)

Rukelnikov
2019-05-03, 07:04 PM
Detect Thoughts and Suggestion. Note that Detect Thoughts doesn't allow a save if you just read surface thoughts.

Enemies Abound is also a great chaos creating tool.