PDA

View Full Version : Innovation

Krugg
2007-10-03, 07:54 PM
Making a 2nd level BBN. Need something innovative, something other than a big half orc with a greataxe. Any ideas?

Also, I'd prefer to make it for the fluff around the edges than for total obliteration of all my enemies

Neon Knight
2007-10-03, 08:00 PM
BBN?

This is kind of vague. Can we get some more details, please?

Krugg
2007-10-03, 08:05 PM
BBN?

This is kind of vague. Can we get some more details, please?

BBN = Barbarian.. It's in the PHB, man lol

But yeah

Well I've rolled unecessarily high on my ability scores:
18, 14, 16, 18, 13, 11

And it's basic Greyhawk setting..

Uhhhmmmm... I think that's about it

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-10-03, 08:08 PM
um... I would make a build that throws greatswords, but it only works once you reach level 3 or 4.

Neon Knight
2007-10-03, 08:13 PM
*shrug* Acronyms are for people who don"t have too much time on their hands.
And I've got too much time on my hands! Yes, it's hard to believe such a calamity....

Barbarians are pretty much straightforward. Power Attack, rage, get close to stuff and kill it in such a way it cannot be unkilled. Not much room for innovation.

I'd go 18 STR for sure. The other 18 can be given to either CON or DEX. INT should be next in priority. WIS and CHA are up to you in priority.

EDIT: You could try a Barbarian based entirely around throwing spears and such. Get Brutal Throw and Power throw from Complete Adventurer.

Quellian-dyrae
2007-10-03, 08:15 PM
Hmm...you could do a wood elf barbarian, put your 18s to Strength and Dex, grab a {glaive is more effective/longspear probably has the most fitting flavor/spiked chain rules if you take a flaw so you can get proficiency} and Combat Reflexes, max Listen, I think there's some sort of rage variant on the WoTC site that boosts Str and Dex rather than Str and Con, and basically be a sort of tribal guardian. Maybe even take Hide and Move Silently cross-class? Combat Reflexes is especially effective at the lower levels, you can snag the usual Power Attack/Leap Attack bits as you advance (maybe items to enlarge you as well to keep Combat Reflexes competitive), so you get the different fluff without sacrificing any of your main barbarian advantages.

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-03, 08:16 PM
Wow...never heard BBN before. It just begs the question, why? Why not type out Barbarian or Barb? I understand not wnating to type "Big Bad Evil Guy" or something, but Barbarian? that's just too lazy for me.

Anyway, how about a Halfling Barb with the substitution levels? It seems like a lot of fun and I've never seen or heard of one played. I just like the idea of a halfling screaming as it chops off an orc's legs with a greatsword twice his height! (I think I'm reading it right and Halfling Rage lets you weild a medium weapon, otherwise it's not that great). Of course there are lots of varients for barb in UA and Dragon, you might want inspiration from those.

Another possibility is to go with an elf barb who wields a courtblade and focuses on dex more than strength. Then use the Implacable varient to boost dex instead of strength. Unfortunately, you can't get dex to damage with a courtblade.

Edit: If you take the above elven build I would suggest your stats be something like: Str 16 Dex 18[20] Con 18[16] and Int, Wis, Cha whatever.

RTGoodman
2007-10-03, 08:32 PM
*shrug* Acronyms are for people who don"t have too much time on their hands.
And I've got too much time on my hands! Yes, it's hard to believe such a calamity....

Hooray Styx!

Anyway, you could play your barbarian as a normal guy that just gets really angry sometimes. Or a guy who, once he joins battle, lets his adrenaline take over. That way it's less of a "rage" and more of a "battle focus."

Alternatively, I think a Dwarf Barbarian would be a pretty good idea. You can bump Con up to a 20 (for more raging goodness!), put the other 18 and 16 in Str and Dex (which ever you want), and you've got the stats to even prevent that -2 Cha from giving you a penalty when all is said and done. Then make sure you fight with a Dwarven Waraxe, and say that your Dwarven ancestral might is what powers your rage.

Or, I totally support Quellian's ideas. I mean, it may not be the most innovative character mechanically (you can make the flavor fit however you want), but Leap Attack/Shock Trooper/etc. is still a deadly feat combo.

Krugg
2007-10-03, 08:38 PM
um... I would make a build that throws greatswords, but it only works once you reach level 3 or 4.

Throwing greatswords... That's the coolest idea evar! Lulz

Raolin_Fenix
2007-10-03, 09:30 PM
Play a barbarian with heavy Int and Wisdom, take the Combat Focus tree.

Thrawn183
2007-10-03, 09:35 PM
Take the unarmed strike tree and make the unarmed raging psycopath to counter all the super wise monks running around out there.

Tallis
2007-10-03, 09:46 PM
Make a midget barbarian. Not a halfling or a dwarf, just a human or half-orc midget. Put your 18s in dex and con. Wield a scythe (not the best damage, but the 4X crits will be fun). He's a farmboy who was picked on constantly as a youth. Over time his rage built up inside him and he learned to fight. Now he's altered a scythe from the farm for use as a weapon. Don't cross him or all that pent up anger will be unleashed on you. Nobody picks on him anymore.

slexlollar89
2007-10-03, 10:20 PM
I mad an elf barbarian that used dex and str during rage (my DM liked the concept) and used two balanced speedy longswords (AKA greatswords) in fights, and frequently threw a ounding greatsword.
He was the only BBN i have ever played, nd he was great.

2007-10-03, 10:38 PM
I second the throwing greatswords idea.