PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Monk???

Krugg
2007-10-03, 08:10 PM
Hey I'm a huge fan of Barbarians, and I've always fancied the idea of this massive nutcase of a Half Orc charging out of the woods, and instead of being clad in some form of light-ish armour and wielding a giant axe, he runs out, unarmoured and umarmed, dodging attacks and pummeling people with his bare hands.

Basically a barbarian with the Monk's AC stuff and the Monk's unarmed strike...

Any way that this could be possible? As in.. what stuff would need to be dropped from the normal Barbarian's specials list?

SurlySeraph
2007-10-03, 08:13 PM
Well, first you'd have to drop either the Barbarian's non-lawful requirement or the Monk's Lawful requirement.

I think there's a base class somewhere that's basically an unarmed-based Barbarian. I'll look for it.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-10-03, 08:13 PM
Be a half-orc monk with half-orc paragon levels from UA; it's in the SRD. You get rage, but still can be lawful. Then, multiclass into something like Bear Warrior from Complete Warrior and take the Extra Rage feat.
There's also some pretty sweet stuff from Oriental Adventures, but I'm not too well versed in the stuff in that book. It's also 3.0.

Edit: If I'm not mistaken, there also is a raging chaotic monk that was a varient found in Dragon magazine. I don't have the data though.

Dr. Weasel
2007-10-03, 08:15 PM
Or just take your monk levels first and prestige class quickly.

If you go Monk 2/Lion Totem Barbarian 3/Half-Orc Paragon 3/Frenzied Berzerker X you would be pretty scary.

Krugg
2007-10-03, 08:17 PM
Nar, I'm talking, a whole new class

Unless it's too hard/pointless

Da Beast
2007-10-03, 08:17 PM
You could multiclass Barbarian and Sword Sage. I think that Sword Sage has some alignment restrictions, but not ones that interfere with the Barbarian's.

Neon Knight
2007-10-03, 08:19 PM
You could multiclass Barbarian and Sword Sage. I think that Sword Sage has some alignment restrictions, but not ones that interfere with the Barbarian's.

Swordsage has no alignment restrictions.

Thinker
2007-10-03, 08:39 PM
If you're starting at a high enough level check out Frostrager from the Frostburn supplement. Its a raging unarmed character.

Arbitrarity
2007-10-03, 08:45 PM
Somebody homebrewed a "Brawler" around here. You might try searching for it, though the original was pretty broken.

Hadrian_Emrys
2007-10-03, 08:48 PM
If you are trying to get a DM to agree to a barb with the monk unarmed attack progression and unarmed ac, just tell him you aren't proficient with shields or armor and only simple weapons. Should be fine then.

If that gets the go ahead, use the whirling frenzy class feature variant (Str and Dex instead of Str and Con while raging). From there, stuff like the lion totem barb levels and feats like snap kick and what have you will serve you well.

Krugg
2007-10-03, 08:53 PM
If you are trying to get a DM to agree to a barb with the monk unarmed attack progression and unarmed ac, just tell him you aren't proficient with shields or armor and only simple weapons. Should be fine then.

If that gets the go ahead, use the whirling frenzy class feature variant (Str and Dex instead of Str and Con while raging). From there, stuff like the lion totem barb levels and feats like snap kick and what have you will serve you well.

Oki doki.. But I think that's a bit overpowered still... Like would I have to drop maybe DR or something?? Or maybe Uncanny Dodge or Trap Sense?

I just want it to be balanced lol

DraPrime
2007-10-03, 08:56 PM
This is a really weird idea. Like the others, I'm gonna recommend the orc paragon thing.

Drider
2007-10-03, 08:57 PM
Oki doki.. But I think that's a bit overpowered still... Like would I have to drop maybe DR or something?? Or maybe Uncanny Dodge or Trap Sense?

I just want it to be balanced lol

Switch trap sense with movement, and it would be kinda even, Plus NO magic weapons, unless you homebrew sleeves of X

Hadrian_Emrys
2007-10-03, 09:21 PM
Compared to a monk, yes it's overpowered. Compared to a barb with a two hander like a great sword... I'd allow it in a game I ran.

Person_Man
2007-10-04, 08:51 AM
Monk/Anything is a pretty weak build. If you do it for fluff reasons that's great, but no build with Monk in it ever has to worry about being overpowered.

Everyone else has already made most of the good suggestions. Swordsage, Half-Orc Paragon, or Chaos Monk. I would also add my Frozen Dwarf Hulk Smash build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50588). You can also be a Psychic Warrior (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psychicWarrior.htm). Inertial Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/inertialArmor.htm) is one of the best sources of AC in the game. It lasts for hours, has no armor check penalty, no max Dex bonus, no encumbrance, no spell failure, works with a Monk's belt and similar items/abilities, is a force effect, and scales upwards with your manifester level, topping out at +13 at 19th level. And Psychic Warrior powers in general scale a lot better then Rage and/or Monk unarmed strike damage.

Darkforge
2007-10-04, 09:06 AM
If you want to make a custom class with the attributes of both monk and barbarian, then try the Homebrew forum, they've come up with a lot of interesting classes that are quite well balanced.

Techonce
2007-10-04, 10:09 AM
Well, first you'd have to drop either the Barbarian's non-lawful requirement or the Monk's Lawful requirement.

I think there's a base class somewhere that's basically an unarmed-based Barbarian. I'll look for it.

Pit Fighter from City Works is a 3.0 Unarmed Barabrian. It's being played by a PC in my campaign right now and seems to not be broken.

City Works is in the Legends and Liars line of books.