PDA

View Full Version : Command our of a bind

username1
2019-05-04, 11:35 AM
I知 going to be running a session today or tomorrow and when we last left off two of my players are bound to a tree by frost giants, and the other player is in the wilds looking for them. The only spell this player found he can use is command, and we left off last time with him about to cast it. He speaks giant, so he should be able to command the Giants. This player is extremely smart when it comes to words, and I知 sure he has the perfect word that could help him get untied. What are some words you guys think might work here? I知 trying to think ahead so I don稚 have to spend ages thinking. Thanks

zinycor
2019-05-04, 11:38 AM
I知 going to be running a session today or tomorrow and when we last left off two of my players are bound to a tree by frost giants, and the other player is in the wilds looking for them. The only spell this player found he can use is command, and we left off last time with him about to cast it. He speaks giant, so he should be able to command the Giants. This player is extremely smart when it comes to words, and I知 sure he has the perfect word that could help him get untied. What are some words you guys think might work here? I知 trying to think ahead so I don稚 have to spend ages thinking. Thanks

Well.... That's for him to find out... How many uses does he have?

Mercurias
2019-05-04, 04:30 PM
Command is a powerful spell, especially against a Frost Giant with a whopping +0 to save against the spell.

The big limitation on the spell is that it's a single word, and you're wanting that one word to describe a specific action (Untying) on a specific target (you and your friend) in a specific manner (without killing your character).

You can try "Release" and see where it gets you, but if I were your DM I would make the giant release its bladder or drop whatever it was holding. If it were "Untie" then I'd have the frost giant undo its belt. "Attack" might be fun, but if I were the DM I would have it directly assault whatever it's focused on when you say it.

You could try and talk one of them into examining the tree the two players are tied to and then using "Push" to make it push the gree over, but then they'd still be tied.

I would settle for "Roar", "Yell", "Shout", or "Scream". It may not get the character untied directly, but a sound as loud as a giant roaring could allow the character's friend to reach them and rescue them.

Lunali
2019-05-04, 04:37 PM
"Betray" is always fun, but getting out of the ropes is actually rather difficult as in addition to being only one word, the duration is very short, anything about untying the ropes will probably take too long.

Ganryu
2019-05-04, 06:24 PM
I'd have him start untying the rope and command 'help', but that's me.

sophontteks
2019-05-04, 07:03 PM
It's a pity Leeroy Jenkins is two words.