PDA

View Full Version : The 7 deadly sins trope

Sindal
2019-05-04, 01:24 PM
Hi yall.

So this is just a random forum post for fun:

"Which of the 7 deadly sins does your current (or last played) character embody the most?"

Obviously your character doesn't need to be a literal embodiment, this is more a question of which of them is most prevalent in your dude.

For my half orc ranger...He's not greedy, he's not excessively lustful (sometimes people are kinda cute ok?), he's not a glutton nor lazy and envious
looking through the list...it's either pride or wrath.

Probably wrath is the closest. He gets 'annoyed' when people hurt his friends or things he likes. Orc shines through during those moments.

Lets hear everyone's sin

noob
2019-05-04, 02:01 PM
Probably wrath for all my characters: they are likely to harm opponents or flee.

GooeyChewie
2019-05-04, 02:23 PM
This Wednesday we played Dungeons & Doggies. My doggie was such a good boy! So proud to be a good boy!

So... Pride.

Mercurias
2019-05-04, 04:03 PM
My Wild Magic Sorc is definitely greedy. He grew up with practically nothing, so he used his spells and a little cunning to earn his way. the fallout from errantly snatching an ugly wooden symbol of Pelor that had fallen from someone's pouch led him to adventuring in the first place, as well as a bounty on his head. Sometimes holy relics look pretty plain, y'all.

Danielqueue1
2019-05-04, 05:14 PM
pride for both my current characters, but on opposite ends of the spectrum. one shows pride by considering himself responsible for the safety of the party. (most of the party are tanks so they don't really need protecting but he wants to anyway) the other shows pride more openly because we are playing an epic campaign above level 20 (currently 24) so things like NPC: "we don't have time to talk about [plot point], we are dealing with a siege right now:" PC "we broke the siege because we wanted to use the front gates and your enemy was in our way." are pretty common. occurrences. (boss fights are against aspects/avatars of gods/beings from other planes etc)

R.Shackleford
2019-05-04, 06:36 PM
Hi yall.

So this is just a random forum post for fun:

"Which of the 7 deadly sins does your current (or last played) character embody the most?"

Obviously your character doesn't need to be a literal embodiment, this is more a question of which of them is most prevalent in your dude.

For my half orc ranger...He's not greedy, he's not excessively lustful (sometimes people are kinda cute ok?), he's not a glutton nor lazy and envious
looking through the list...it's either pride or wrath.

Probably wrath is the closest. He gets 'annoyed' when people hurt his friends or things he likes. Orc shines through during those moments.

Lets hear everyone's sin

Yes. As in, all of them.

Even when I play a Lawful Good Cleric of Life, I throw in as many sins as possible.

Said cleric...

Jealousy: The Paladin had an awesome sword and could do neat things in battle... My character multiclassed barbarian.

Wrath: If you needlessly hurt people, my character would fly into a rage. Eventually this rage was mechanically supported, see previous note on jealousy.

Lust: He would do anything for love (of the pope figure), he would even do **that**. Meatloaf ain't got nothing on him.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-05-04, 07:00 PM
Pride seems pretty common in all adventurers.

For my Paladin, Pride would be the most applicable. I'm not sure I'd label him as particularly Prideful of his own worth but he holds himself to such a high standard of keeping others safe and believes that failing to do that would be an utter failure. He's failed in that way once and it's had a literal tangible impact on his soul. Hard to gauge this one since his most defining characteristics are that he's far too sacrificing and strives for too much.

For my Blood Hunter, Wrath seems most apt. He plays a similar role to my Paladin but where my Paladin would rather keep violence to a minimum on both ends, my Blood Hunter would much rather cut the problem out of the equation without risking harm to himself or his allies. Small hints of Gluttony, in terms of acquiring magical knowledge. He developed a strong affinity for magic and has chased that path ever since.

For my Rogue, I'd say Greed. Not in the typical sense, as he's not particularly materialistic. What he's gained since the start of the campaign is a Home (literally and figuratively), the respect of his idols and colleagues, as well as the career he'd always dreamed of having. He would do anything to make sure that those things are never taken away from him and losing any one of them would hurt him deeply.

Trask
2019-05-04, 08:31 PM
I had a Sorcerer who was the soul of gluttony. Wanted to experience everything, BE everything. Lived well beyond his means in almost every outlandish way.

Spriteless
2019-05-04, 08:36 PM
Oh my gosh I can hardly remember the last game I played instead of ran.

Oh, right, it was Mage. Probably Lust, but not in a sex way, but a living for thrills instead of Prudence. Probably the stereotype for the Cult of Ecstasy, though.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-05-04, 09:45 PM
My Fey Warlock's sin is most definitely pride.

2D8HP
2019-05-04, 09:49 PM
Sloth.

Definitely sloth.

Oh wait, that's my PC's player.

I'll need to rest on that.

A long rest.

GreyBlack
2019-05-04, 10:10 PM
My last character was a survivalist lizardfolk tempest Cleric who frequently enjoyed taking the fingers from his enemies for a snack later. Maybe even cooking the fallen; can't let that go to waste!

So.... gluttony?

NecessaryWeevil
2019-05-05, 01:26 AM
Interesting you should ask. My gaming group has been going for...wow...over half a decade, and one guy is working through the seven, choosing a different sin as the defining character trait for each new character. It's neat to see a character designed and played with deliberate flaws.

For myself, we're currently playing D&D-in-space and I'm playing a bizarre alien whose motivation is curiosity: to meet strange and interesting new beings and if possible take them apart to understand their biology. So...greed? I guess?

Agent-KI7KO
2019-05-05, 05:05 AM
Hmmm...

May O’Nays is a Scholar first, Bard second. She lives on the outskirts of Elf City, the daughter of a well-off merchant-class family. She was taught since young on how to be careful with your material wealth. They had a lot of antiques, and her father taught his children how to spot, secure, maintain, and trade such things.

She was marked by all kinds of Fey who either help her, play with her, or bully, and extort her ever since she was a child. She wants to know why, and this is why she chose to pursue a bard’s education. Along the way, she developed an obsession for knowledge (and stories), to the point where she gained access, and is now a frequent visitor of “The Wanderers Library” (google it). Nothing feels as wonderful to her, as learning a new fact, story, song, poem, or even hearing an elaborate lie.

Humans living in or around Elf country have inherited Elvish physical features. Some say that they are actually Elves but did not actually inherit an Elf soul, and thus end up Human. May had particularly long ears, even by Elf standards, and is frequently mistaken for one. She resents this very much, because in her eyes, she is unable to crack her curse with a human’s short lifespan... and that elves sleep for half as long. (Four extra hours of reading/copying per day!)

So, in no particular order we have:
- Envy towards Elves
- Lust for Knowledge/Stories
- Greed for Gold and Artefacts, but mostly anything that has monetary worth.

Skadi
2019-05-05, 07:42 AM
Gandalf the Fabulous? Definitely lust, pride is a close second.

My Halfling druid on the other hand? Not sure, thinking sloth but then he is not so much lazy as he is easy going, then again he did turn into a giant toad and finished off the Bandit leader threatening a town by eating him, so gluttony maybe?

KorvinStarmast
2019-05-05, 02:37 PM
Sloth.

Definitely sloth.

Oh wait, that's my PC's player.

I'll need to rest on that.
A long rest.
Wins thread. :smallbiggrin:

Just so that everyone knows what the OP is referring to, The Seven Deadly Sins (from RL Christian tradition) are the sins of:
Pride, Covetousness, Lust, Anger, Gluttony, Envy, and Sloth.

I have played a lot of thieves, and a lot of rogues. Adveturer's are as a class Treasure Hunters. I put it to you, Playground, that if Pride is not the most common among Adventurers of these then Covetousness is:

Hey, see that dragon in that cave? We want his treasure.
See that old temple? We want its old artifact.
See that Magical Sword in that old ruin? Want Sword! Must Have! :smalltongue:

It certainly was the core impulse for all of those thieves and rogues I have played over the years. And rangers. And Fighters. And Magic Users. And wizards.
But monks, clerics, and druids? Not so much.

dragoeniex
2019-05-05, 03:50 PM
Envy. A warlock who could understand and even teach wizard magic, but had some physical block keeping him from casting himself. He grew increasingly bitter, as his experiments to enable casting only helped struggling students and never himself.

Instead of focusing on the research and breakthroughs he could definitely still accomplish, or leaving the field when it became clear he'd never fix himself... He let the resentment fester. A massive inferiority superiority complex is what drove him to seek out and make a pact.

He hates the crap out of sorcerers.

"I worked for decades to get this far. Mystra sneezed, and you happened."

nickl_2000
2019-05-05, 05:05 PM
My current character suffers from Envy, he envies the animals of nature and is trying to be one of them. Hence why he is a Moon Druid and has the ability to communicate with animals at will. Ironically the 7 deadly sins came up as a major piece of the current campaign we are in too.

My next character is likely going to be gluttony. He works hard during the day be very much believes in celebrating at nighttime. Is his backstory he even has a few taverns where he is not welcome in after over imbibing and getting a little to rowdy with 18 strength.

Rebecca-47
2019-05-05, 06:41 PM
Let's be real, pretty much all d&d characters are wrath. 😂