PDA

View Full Version : The Bounty Hunter: Remake of the Ranger

Justdamohr
2007-10-03, 08:56 PM
All righty; so I've always envisioned the Ranger as being more of a h Bounty Hunter since they are specifically trained in combating certain types of foes. So I decided to focus on that aspect of the Ranger, removing the spell abilities because frankly that never made sense to me, and also adding a few skills and a few class abilities. JUST AS A WARNING: most of the stuff is pretty much the SAME. However I tweaked a few things here and there to make the class a little more flexible so that it can be used both in NATURAL and URBAN terrains. But tell me what you think about it. D. :smallbiggrin:

The Bounty Hunter

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d8

Class Skills:
Balance (Dex), Climb (Str) , Concentration (Con) , Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha.), Handle Animal (Cha) , Heal (Wis) , Hide (Dex) , Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering), Knowledge(geography) (Int), Knowledge(local) (Int), Listen (Wis) , Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex) , Search (Int) , Spot (Wis) , Survival (Wis) , Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex)

Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A ranger is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor and shields (except tower shields).

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Studied Targets, Trailing

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Targeting +1d4, Combat Style

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1| Endurance, Striding +1, 10%

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1| Tracking Companion

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1| Studied Targets

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+2|Targeting + 2d4, Improved Combat Style

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+2|Merciful Strike, Striding + 2, 30%

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+2|Swift Tracker

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+3|Evasion

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+3|Targeting + 3d4, Studied Targets

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|
+3|Combat Style Mastery, Striding + 3, 50%

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+4|Blending

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+4|Survival of the Fittest

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|
+4|Numbing Hit, Targeting + 4d4, Studied Targets

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+5| Striding + 4, 70%, Natural Resilience

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+10|
+5|Hide In Plain Sight

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5| Infallible Tracker

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|Targeting + 5d4,

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6| Striding + 5, 90%

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|Studied Targets, Deadly Aim

[/table]

Studied Targets:
Bounty Hunters are essentially fighters that specifically train to combat a designated species, race, etc. Being the case, they attain Studied Targets, races, species, etc...that they have studied for the sake of gaining an advantage in combating them. As a result, starting at 1st level Bounty Hunters gain one species, race, etc. as a Studied Target. (See page 47 for list of types of Targets to choose from.) Whenever the Bounty Hunter encounters this species, race, etc. they gain bonuses on a varied array of combat and non-combat skills. The initial bonus for any Studied Target is a + 1. However each time the Bounty Hunter attains a new Studied Target, they a + 2 against that new species, race, etc. in addition to points equal to their Int. Modifier which they may distribute amongst their old and new Studied Targets. For instance a 5th level Bounty Hunter has two Studied Targets. Their first has a + 2, and their second a + 2, however they have an 18 Int. which means they gain + 4 points when acquiring their second Studied Target. These points can be added to the + 2's of either Studied Targets as the player sees fit, i.e. they can place all 4 points on one, or 3 on one and 1 on the other or 2 on both.

Bonuses apply to the following Skills when used against the Studied Targets:
Bluff
Disguise
Hide
Intimidate
Gather Information
Listen
Move Silently
Sense Motive
Spot (includes Trailing)

To attack bonuses made against the studied targets.

To AC when fighting against the studied targets.

The bonus reduces the Critical Range on Weapons used against the studied targets; i.e. if a Bounty Hunter has a + 4 against Orcs and they’re using a Short Sword against them which has a Critical Range of 19-20/2x; the new critical range is 15-20/2x when fighting against the Orcs. THIS DOES NOT STACK TO THE BONUSES OF KEEN WEAPONS. ONLY THE ORIGINAL CRITICAL RANGE OF THE WEAPON.

Trailing:
Bounty Hunters gain the benefits of the Track feat however rather than Survival as the skill check, it relies on Spot. Also they gain a + 1 synergy bonus for every 5 ranks in Knowledge (Geography) for trailing in Nature and + 1 for every 5 ranks in Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) when trailing in Urban terrain.

Targeting
By taking a full round action to study one designated foe, Bounty Hunters can inflict additional damage against that target that lasts rounds equal to the Bounty Hunter's Int. Modifier. At 2nd level the damage is +1d4, by 6th the damage increases to + 2d4, by 10th it becomes +3d4, by 14th it becomes + 4d4 and lastly by 18th it becomes + 5d4. This damage applies to melee attacks and ranged attacks made within 30ft of the target. A Bounty Hunter may only apply this to one target at a time and the bonus remains only as long as they maintain focus on that target. If they study a target for one round, attack them and then decide to attack another target, the additional damage no longer applies. They would then have to study another round to regain the damage against that foe. A Bounty Hunter can do this a number of times per an encounter as they apply one round of study each time. This requires COMPLETE CONCENTRATION while they are studying for one round. If they are attacked they must make a Concentration Check DC of 10 + Damage Taken. If they fail, they have to start all over again.

Combat Style
At 2nd level Bounty Hunters gain the class ability of Combat Style. See page 48 of the PHB 3.5 under Ranger.

Endurance
By 3rd level, Bounty Hunters gain the benefits of the Endurance Feat. See page 93 of PHB 3.5.

Striding
At 3rd level Bounty Hunters grow accustomed to varied terrain especially when trailing after targets. As a result, they gain a + 1 to overcoming impediments that might affect skills such as Balance, Climb, Jump, Swim, etc. Also when moving through such terrain that would affect their movement speed, they have a 10% chance of negating such effects, thus moving at their normal speed. The player rolls to see if that applies each time they enter terrain that would impose such an impediment. These bonuses increase at 7th level to + 2, and 30%, + 3 with a 50% chance at 11th , + 4 with a 70% chance at 15th and finally + 5 with a 90% chance at 19th. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO IMPEDIMENTS IMPOSED BY MAGIC such as SPIKE STONES or ENTANGLE.

Tracking Companion
At 4th level, Bounty Hunters may attain a Tracking Companion. This mimics the Animal Companion class ability on page 93 of PHB 3.5. However, the Tracking Companion gains bonuses on Spot and Listen against the Bounty Hunter’s Studied Targets, equal to those of the Bounty Hunter. For instance if a 5th level Bounty Hunter has Elves and Orcs as their Studied Targets with a + 3 and + 3 respectfully, the Tracking Companion gains those bonuses on Spot and Listen when using them against such targets.

Improved Combat Style
At 6th level, Bounty Hunters gain the Improved Combat Style class ability, see page 48 of the PHB 3.5 under Ranger.

Swift Tracker
Also at 8th, Bounty Hungers gain the Swift Tracking class ability. See page 48 of the PHB 3.5 under Ranger.

Evasion
At 9th level, Bounty Hunters gain the Evasion class ability. See page 48 of the PHB 3.5 under Ranger.

Merciful Strike
By targeting a foe for 1 full round action, a Bounty Hunter may strike them to deliver a potent blow to render them disabled. They need to make a successful melee or ranged attack (30 ft range) for this to work after 1 round. The victim has to make a Fort Save DC = 10 + 1/2 the Bounty Hunter's Level + Int. Modifier. If they succeed they suffer no effects. If they fail, they suffer the effects of DISABLED for rounds equal to the Bounty Hunter's Int. + 1d4 rounds. THIS REQUIRES COMPLETE CONCENTRATION. If the Bounty Hunter is attacked while Targeting , they must make a CONCENTRATION CHECK equal to 10 + Damage. If they fail, they have to start all over again. THEY CAN MAKE MOVE ACTIONS ONLY WHILE STUDYING THE TARGET. THIS EFFECTS ONLY CREATURES WITH DISCERNIBLE ANATOMY: Undead, Constructs, Oozes, Plants and Incorporeal Creatures are immune to this ability.

Combat Style Mastery
At 11th level, Bounty Hunters gain the Combat Style Mastery class ability. See page 48 of the PHB 3.5 under Ranger.

Blending
By 12th level, whenever a Bounty Hunter decides to hide in terrain, with or without concealment, they may add their ranks in Knowledge (Geography) to their Hide Checks in Natural Terrain, and their ranks in Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) to their Hide Checks in Urban Areas (i.e. streets, buildings, etc.)

Survival of the Fittest
By 13th level, a Bounty Hunter's knowledge of the terrain enables them to combat the forces of nature more readily. A Bounty Hunter may add their ranks in Knowledge (Geography) to Survival Checks made to combat natural elements such as heat, cold, rain, storm, snow...etc.

Numbing Hit
By 14th level a Bounty Hunter may attack a Targeted Foe to paralyze them. They must Target them for 2 full rounds. After which they must make a successful attack with a Melee or ranged attack at 30ft. If they do the victim must make a Fortitude Save equal to 10 + 1/2 the Bounty Hunter's Level + Int. Modifier. If they succeed they suffer -1 on all attacks and saves for rounds equal to the Bounty Hunter's Int. Bonus.If they fail, they are paralyzed for rounds equal to the Bounty Hunter's Int. Bonus + 1d4 rounds. THIS REQUIRES COMPLETE CONCENTRATION. If the Bounty Hunter is attacked while Targeting , they must make a CONCENTRATION CHECK equal to 10 + Damage. If they fail, they have to start all over again. THEY CAN MAKE MOVE ACTIONS ONLY WHILE STUDYING THE TARGET. THIS EFFECTS ONLY CREATURES WITH DISCERNIBLE ANATOMY: Undead, Constructs, Oozes, Plants and Incorporeal Creatures are immune to this ability.

Learned Resilience
By 15th level whenever a Bounty Hunter must make a Fortitude Save against Poison or Disease, they may add their Survival Skill Ranks to their Fort Save.

Hide In Plain Sight
By 16th level, a Bounty Hunter gains the Hide in Plain Sight Class ability.

Infallible Tracker
At 17th level, a Bounty Hunter suffers no penalties when moving twice their speed during Trailing.

Deadly Aim
By 20th level a Bounty Hunter may attack a Targeted Foe to render them useless. They must Target them for 3 full rounds. After which they must make a successful melee or ranged attack at 30ft. If they do the victim must make a Fortitude Save equal to 10 + 1/2 the Bounty Hunter's Level + Int. Modifier. If they succeed they are stunned for rounds equal to the Bounty Hunter's Int. Mod. If they fail, they fall unconscious as if dropped to 0, however they cannot be healed or smacked away, they remain in this state for rounds equal to the Bounty Hunter's Int. Bonus + 1d4 rounds. THIS REQUIRES COMPLETE CONCENTRATION. If the Bounty Hunter is attacked while Targeting , they must make a CONCENTRATION CHECK equal to 10 + Damage. If they fail, they have to start all over again.THEY CAN MAKE MOVE ACTIONS ONLY WHILE STUDYING THE TARGET. THIS EFFECTS ONLY CREATURES WITH DISCERNIBLE ANATOMY: Undead, Constructs, Oozes, Plants and Incorporeal Creatures are immune to this ability.

Dullyanna
2007-10-03, 09:34 PM
Looks nice to me. The only thing is, the way that studied targets work isn't very clear, IMO.

JackMage666
2007-10-03, 09:36 PM
I wasn't aware there was much of a problem with the Ranger, as is.

vivi
2007-10-03, 09:52 PM
Nice class. Maybe adding death attack might work good, but i don't know what that will do to how balanced the class is.

Justdamohr
2007-10-03, 09:58 PM
Looks nice to me. The only thing is, the way that studied targets work isn't very clear, IMO.

Thanks, I adjusted the Studied Targets description to make it more clear. I hope it is. But thanks for reviewing the class. :smallbiggrin:

Justdamohr
2007-10-03, 10:04 PM
Nice class. Maybe adding death attack might work good, but i don't know what that will do to how balanced the class is.

I had considered that considering they DO have the Targeting class feature. It would only make sense but I figured it would completely dwarf the Assassin Prestige class which I now made more readily available to the Ranger class anyway by simply adding the Disguise skill. I mean I could just make it the same with 3 rounds targeting a character, make a Fort save equal 10 + 1/2 the Bounty Hunter's Level + Int. Modifier. Maybe I'll do that cause it would make sense, anyway. I was also considering adding a merciful strike where if they studied a target, they would have to make a Fort save equal to 10 + 1/2 the Bounty Hunter's Level + Int. Modifier or be rendered unconscious. You know what I'll do it why not? Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Dullyanna
2007-10-03, 10:53 PM
I'd say, keep the merciful strike but limit it to melee, and remove the deadly strike. I know that it has a lower save DC than an assassin's death strike, but the assassin has to attack with a melee weapon to make one. The fact that you get disguise as a class skill makes it easy enough for bounty hunters to become assassins (Not to mention 6+int skill points). I do like the merciful strike, since it makes sense fluff wise, but maybe you should raise the DC if the Bounty hunter is using a blunt weapon.... maybe. That might unbalance things.

Justdamohr
2007-10-03, 11:45 PM
I'd say, keep the merciful strike but limit it to melee, and remove the deadly strike. I know that it has a lower save DC than an assassin's death strike, but the assassin has to attack with a melee weapon to make one. The fact that you get disguise as a class skill makes it easy enough for bounty hunters to become assassins (Not to mention 6+int skill points). I do like the merciful strike, since it makes sense fluff wise, but maybe you should raise the DC if the Bounty hunter is using a blunt weapon.... maybe. That might unbalance things.

Okay so I dropped the death attack, but I just changed a few of the abilities. I kept the ranged attack because after all its one attack, its a save or miss. PLUS the Assassin is allowed to do other things while studying an opponent, the Bounty Hunter HAS to commit a FULL ROUND, 2 FULL ROUNDS and 3 FULL ROUNDS doing nothing else but targeting a foe to use any of these abilities which at any time can be thwarted. Making it a 30ft ranged attack isn't so bad, especially since some people may take the Ranged Combat class abilities. So this is applicable to them. But tell me what you think about the abilities. :smallsmile:

Dullyanna
2007-10-04, 07:35 AM
Cool. I understand why it can be done with ranged attacks now. Furthermore, the pseudo-death attacks allow the class to cover more archetypes. In other words, the class is called bounty hunter, but it fits the idea of a big game hunter pretty well. Also, targeting is an interesting alternative to sneak attack, sudden strike, or skirmish (At least I think so).

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-04, 09:59 PM
What happened to the ranger's precious full BAB?

Justdamohr
2007-10-04, 10:08 PM
What happened to the ranger's precious full BAB?

Its really funny you noticed that cause just last time I looked at it, I was like, um...there's something missing. I don't know what it is but I have a feeling somethings missing. I really did. And you know bam, there it was right in front of me all along. LOLOL. Seriously, I must have been looking at the wrong document when I was transferring it over. LOLOL. Thank you though. It looks better now, much much better. :smallbiggrin:

Hawriel
2007-10-05, 08:20 PM
I fail to see how having knowledge of architecture makes some one better at tailing or tracking some one in a crowed or urben enviorment. I do think that tracking some one could use the spot and or search skill. Id just leave it as is and use servival. Tracking or tailing pritty much is the same thing as in a city or a forest. Just a different enviornemts. Same skill just need adapt to an urben setting, like tracking some one in a swamp vs a desert. However you can use gather information to intervew peaple to find them.