PDA

View Full Version : Guidance, Bardic Inspiration and Portent.....

mephiztopheleze
2019-05-04, 08:47 PM
Can the bonus dice from Guidance and Bardic Inspiration be added to a Portent roll by the Divination Wizard?

Basically, when the Wizard wakes up and makes their day's Fortelling Rolls can they add Guidance/Bardic Inspiration to determine their actual Portent die?

eg: Guidance gives me 2 points (as an example), I roll a 12 on one of my Fortelling dice, can that now be a 14?

Is Portent considered an 'ability' and the time I make those rolls the 'ability check'?

Or is this an ask your DM style of thing.

JNAProductions
2019-05-04, 08:51 PM
Nothing can be added to the Portent roll at the time of rolling. It’s straight d20.

You can add to the roll when it’s used though. So you could Guidance a 20 when it’s used to pick a lock, for instance.

mephiztopheleze
2019-05-04, 08:56 PM
Nothing can be added to the Portent roll at the time of rolling. It’s straight d20.

is that written down anywhere or just an interpretation?

JackPhoenix
2019-05-04, 08:57 PM
No, Portent rolls aren't ability checks, attack rolls or saves when you make them, so you can't add anything to them.

But as JNAProductions said, you can add the bonus when it is used for a check later.

mephiztopheleze
2019-05-04, 09:02 PM
i thought that was probably the case.

oh well.....

Keravath
2019-05-04, 09:03 PM
is that written down anywhere or just an interpretation?

Yes. It is written down in the description of portent:

"PORTENT
Starting at 2nd level when you choose this school, glimpses of the future begin to press in on your awareness. When you finish a long rest, roll two d20s and record the numbers rolled. You can replace any attack roll, saving throw, or ability check made by you or a creature that you can see with one of these foretelling rolls."

It explicitly says roll 2 d20s and record the numbers rolled. They aren't ability checks, saving throws or attack rolls to which guidance/resistance/bardic inspiration can be applied. They are just d20 rolls that can later be substituted for such checks. When the actual save, ability check or attack roll is made THEN guidance/resistance/bardic inspiration can be applied to the die roll (which is replaced by the portent die roll).

Chronos
2019-05-05, 06:56 AM
And it has to be that way, because you don't know what they'll be used for when you roll them. What would happen if you added a Guidance to a portent when you rolled it, but then you ended up using that roll for an attack? Guidance doesn't give a bonus to attacks.