PDA

View Full Version : Godzilla Vs. Io

Bartmanhomer
2019-05-04, 10:36 PM
Godzilla (Final Wars Version) versus Io (D&D 3.5 Version) creator of dragonkind. This is a very tough fight. I think this is practically a deity himself because he beat every monster in Godzilla and never lost a fight. It is an Intermediate Dragon Deity and he has so many tricks up in his arsenal. I think it could go either way or might be a draw. So who do you think will win this fight?

Forum Explorer
2019-05-04, 11:02 PM
Godzilla (Final Wars Version) versus Io (D&D 3.5 Version) creator of dragonkind. This is a very tough fight. I think this is practically a deity himself because he beat every monster in Godzilla and never lost a fight. It is an Intermediate Dragon Deity and he has so many tricks up in his arsenal. I think it could go either way or might be a draw. So who do you think will win this fight?

Io, because you specified 3.5 and D&D 3.5 dieties have to have level 9 spells, which means they can do stuff like cast Ice Assassin on Godzilla, so the fight is now Io+Godzilla vs Godzilla.

Use the rules for Tiamat from D&D 5e instead though, and it's a much closer fight.

Bartmanhomer
2019-05-04, 11:28 PM
Io, because you specified 3.5 and D&D 3.5 dieties have to have level 9 spells, which means they can do stuff like cast Ice Assassin on Godzilla, so the fight is now Io+Godzilla vs Godzilla.

Use the rules for Tiamat from D&D 5e instead though, and it's a much closer fight.

Godzilla (Final Wars Version) has insane healing ability so Ice Assassin probably won't do much. And as for Tiamat from D&D 5e. I never play D&D 5e. I'm more like a D&D 3.5 type of guy.

The Glyphstone
2019-05-04, 11:39 PM
Godzilla (Final Wars Version) has insane healing ability so Ice Assassin probably won't do much. And as for Tiamat from D&D 5e. I never play D&D 5e. I'm more like a D&D 3.5 type of guy.

That means all of the friendly Godzilla clones Io can summon with Ice Assassin also have insane healing. Can Godzilla defeat Godzilla? Can two Godzillas defeat Godzilla? Can 4 Godzillas defeat Godzilla? Decide how many Godzillas it take to kill Godzilla, and that's how many Godzilla clones Io will create to win a fight with Godzilla.

Bartmanhomer
2019-05-05, 12:11 AM
That means all of the friendly Godzilla clones Io can summon with Ice Assassin also have insane healing. Can Godzilla defeat Godzilla? Can two Godzillas defeat Godzilla? Can 4 Godzillas defeat Godzilla? Decide how many Godzillas it takes to kill Godzilla, and that's how many Godzilla clones Io will create to win a fight with Godzilla.

Oh really? Ice Assassin is that broken huh? I guess Io will win this fight. :smile:

hamishspence
2019-05-05, 12:18 AM
Io, because you specified 3.5 and D&D 3.5 dieties have to have level 9 spells

Strictly speaking they don't - some 3.0-3.5 deities have no caster levels at all.

However, they always have at least 2 domains, which means they always have at least 2 9th level domain spells as spell-like abilities. Ice Assassin isn't on any domain spell list though, so a deity will not normally have it as a spell-like ability.

However, Bahamut and Tiamat both have the casting powers of 20th level clerics and 20th level sorcerers (possibly due to their being dragons) - so it makes sense that Io, a more powerful dragon deity, would have a similar statline.

As a Sorcerer/wizard spell, it would be from their 20th level Sorcerer casting, that it would be drawn, assuming they picked it as one of their Spells Known.

Razade
2019-05-05, 08:08 AM
It's not even a contest. Godzilla is, at most, a high level monster. Io is a god, capable of shaping planes and all sorts of insane crap. Skipping spells. Skipping anything divine, Io wins just by sheer brute force.

hamishspence
2019-05-05, 08:16 AM
Skipping spells. Skipping anything divine, Io wins just by sheer brute force.

In 3.5 Io is only an Intermediate deity. Those have limitations.

Regarding the brute force thing - it is possible that Godzilla is actually physically stronger in the absence of any magic use or divine power use. No deities in D&D have Strengths higher than 50. A Str 50 Colossal quadruped can lift 76.8 short tons over their head as maximum heavy load. They can lift 153.6 short tons off the ground, but can only stagger around with it.

What's the heaviest we see Godzilla lifting in a similar fashion?

lord_khaine
2019-05-05, 08:16 AM
It should either end as a rather onesided stomping, or else as Godzilla being declared a wingless dragon, and by default a subject of Io.
So yeah i agree, what it isnt is any sort of meaningful context. Even without stupid 3.5 cheese.

edit.
And at least some sources i found claim Io is a greater deity.

hamishspence
2019-05-05, 08:21 AM
at least some sources i found claim Io is a greater deity.

In some editions, yes, but not in 3.5, which is what the OP specified.

Razade
2019-05-05, 08:22 AM

Not the sort of limitations that matter.

hamishspence
2019-05-05, 08:27 AM
I will agree that Io's toolbox is enormous if it's anything like either Tiamat's or Bahamut's. It's just in a contest of raw physicality alone that Godzilla might have a chance.

HolyDraconus
2019-05-05, 08:29 AM
In some editions, yes, but not in 3.5, which is what the OP specified.

Its been awhile since I looked, but wasn't one of his domains Magic, giving him access to Ice Assassin?

GloatingSwine
2019-05-05, 08:29 AM

Regarding the brute force thing - it is possible that Godzilla is actually physically stronger in the absence of any magic use or divine power use. No deities in D&D have Strengths higher than 50. A Str 50 Colossal quadruped can lift 76.8 short tons over their head as maximum heavy load. They can lift 153.6 short tons off the ground, but can only stagger around with it.

What's the heaviest we see Godzilla lifting in a similar fashion?

Godzilla routinely lifts things his own size.

For reference, Final Wars Godzilla is 100m tall and 55,000 metric tons. At one point he lifts and throws King Ghidorah, who is easily twice to three times his weight, about half a mile into the air.

(Having to fight evil regenerating clones of yourself is tuesday for Godzilla.)

hamishspence
2019-05-05, 08:40 AM
Its been awhile since I looked, but wasn't one of his domains Magic, giving him access to Ice Assassin?

The Magic domain power for clerics doesn't grant the ability to cast any spell you like.

The Alter Reality power, however, does:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#alterReality

as does the Spontaneous Wizard Spells salient divine ability:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#spontaneousWizardSpells

Dragon deities tend to cast as sorcerers rather than wizards, though.

That said, it would be unusual for an Intermediate Deity not to have Alter Reality.

IMO Godzilla is the Incredible Hulk to Io's Dr Strange.

Fyraltari
2019-05-05, 01:30 PM
I have no context so I just pictured a fight between a thirty meter tall fire-breathing radioactive mutant lizard and an ordinary cow being treated as some kind of highly suspenseful sport event. Thank you.

hamishspence
2019-05-05, 01:37 PM
I have no context so I just pictured a fight between a thirty meter tall fire-breathing radioactive mutant lizard and an ordinary cow being treated as some kind of highly suspenseful sport event.

Thirty stories, not thirty metres. So about 4 times as tall.

The Glyphstone
2019-05-05, 01:40 PM
I have no context so I just pictured a fight between a thirty meter tall fire-breathing radioactive mutant lizard and an ordinary cow being treated as some kind of highly suspenseful sport event. Thank you.

Godzilla has finely honed survival instincts. If he approaches an ordinary looking cow that doesnt seem afraid of him, something fishy is going on.

oudeis
2019-05-05, 08:12 PM
Why would Godzilla be attacking a jovian moon? And how did he get there in the first place?

Bartmanhomer
2019-05-07, 11:40 AM
Why would Godzilla be attacking a jovian moon? And how did he get there in the first place?

A jovian moon? What's a jovian moon? :confused:

Bohandas
2019-05-07, 11:46 AM
Also, even in the absence of the god stuff, isn't he a prismatic dragon? That alone gives him the magic abilities of a level 38 sorcerer

Fyraltari
2019-05-07, 12:13 PM
A jovian moon? What's a jovian moon? :confused:

A satellite (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Io_(moon)) of Jupiter.

lord_khaine
2019-05-07, 01:58 PM

*Slow Clap* Well played.. i missed it at first as well.

HandofShadows
2019-05-07, 03:21 PM
Godzilla has finely honed survival instincts. If he approaches an ordinary looking cow that doesnt seem afraid of him, something fishy is going on.

Well, we know how he reacts to harmless deer (https://youtu.be/5R-rbzcEM8A). :smallbiggrin:

DavidSh
2019-05-07, 04:07 PM
In Invasion of Astro-Monster, Godzilla is transported to Planet X by its inhabitants. Maybe there is a confusion between 'X', '10', and 'Io'?

Bartmanhomer
2019-05-07, 09:21 PM
Also, even in the absence of the god stuff, isn't he a prismatic dragon? That alone gives him the magic abilities of a level 38 sorcerer

Either that or a force dragon or even an very advanced amethyst dragon.