PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The One Armed Wolf

AlanBruce
2019-05-05, 05:08 AM
Greetings! Having just finished playing the new Fromsoft game, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, I couldn't help but making some d&d comparisons to the titular character's build, as well as those he interacts with (be it as friends or enemies).

If you have seen or played the game, the answer ought to be easy: ninjas and samurais, found in Complete Adventurer and Complete Warrior respectively. However, some of these guys- especially the protagonist- demonstrate a bit more than just what is presented in the rule books.

So, just out of mere curiosity, how would you build these guys? Again, many of their abilities are directly taken off the books mentioned above, but a few include some extra tricks. Also, what alignment would you give each of them, since not all are black and white morality wise.

This thread pertains to the main protagonist, key allies and antagonists. There are a lot of fodder enemies, but they should be easily built with the books at hand, word by word, unless you wish to include any noteworthy foe found while exploring off the beaten path.

The Viscount
2019-05-05, 12:08 PM
Many people in the playground will tell you that if you're looking at making a ninja, but the ninja class just doesn't have all the oomph you want, consider the swordsage. It has a lot of the same flavor, and depending on which schools you choose you can tweak how much your abilities go beyond that off just a very strong and skilled warrior. I'm not an expert in Sekiro, but some of his tricks like teleportation and fire abilities seem easily filled by Shadow Hand and Desert Wind maneuvers (though many will be quick to tell you that they don't like Desert Wind).

The game has many ways to do prosthetic arms, such as Arm of Nyr from Defenders of the Faith, Half-Golem Template, the Mighty Arm graft from Faiths of Eberron, or perhaps even Maug grafts from Fiend Folio if you're willing to refluff a bit. My mind goes to Renegade Mastermaker with it's strong emphasis on a single powerful arm that it helps you upgrade. Entering it would require some planning, and an Artificer splash would both help you enter and give you some more tricks for the modular arm.

His refreshable ability to cheat death is very difficult to replicate without very high level magic, which doesn't seem fitting.

noob
2019-05-05, 12:20 PM
It could be just bluff + having a few thousand hit points thanks to renegade mastermaker.

Particle_Man
2019-05-05, 03:03 PM
Crusaders have a stance that lets them make a fort save not to die from hp loss. Jade Phoenix mages can at high levels simply and instantly come back from the dead once a week.

khadgar567
2019-05-05, 03:10 PM
One class sekiro would be constructed pugilist brawler from pathfinder or jinskian artificer magus

AlanBruce
2019-05-05, 03:54 PM
I can see Sekiro as being a crusader, but only alignment wise- the guy can’t tank hits at all. In fact, he relies on parrying constantly in order to not get hit and die.

That being said, ToB would fit nicely for him based off some of the things his Shinobi Prosthetic can do. And beyond that, he gets a very useful skill early on that is pretty much an immediate counter against certain attacks.

The arm would be a graft, certainly. Not sure if he himself would be a caster, though. Despite using spell like abilities with the prosthetic, teleportation is available through an item.

The resurrection thing is harder for me to translate into d&d, since he does come back, but at less health (not dangerously low), but no level loss.