PDA

View Full Version : Elf sorclock question

a_rtif_act
2019-05-05, 06:32 AM
I have a few questions regarding an elf Sorcerer Warlock multiclass. I'm sorry if this has been answered before. If so, I'd appreciate a link.
Under the current rules an elf can finish a long rest in 4 hours. As a sorclock, you can convert Pact Magic slots into sorcery points and those back to normal slots, then take a short rest to replenish. So, can an elf do that after they finish their long rest in 4 hours?
How tired do you have to be in order to make a short rest? Do you have to do some strenuous activity between short rests so that they are considered separate and not just one 4-hour short rest? If you do, how long does it have to be? Do you get fewer short rests as a result?
Picture this. My elf meditates for 4 hours. Then they do pushups for 20 minutes and rest 1 hour. Then repeat it two more times, and you have 8 hours in total passed as 4 hours of long rest, 3 one-hour short rests and 1 hour of pushups. The question is, how many pushups do you really have to do?

I want to make it very clear that I do not intend to skip long rests. Please, do not suggest Aspect of the Moon or the XGtE rule for exhaustion saves after missed long rests. This is a different topic.

JackPhoenix
2019-05-05, 06:37 AM
It's entirely up to the GM.

nickl_2000
2019-05-05, 06:38 AM
I don't know the RAW answer here or if there is one, but the real answer is going to be "Ask your DM."

EDIT: shadowmonked :)

Personally, I wouldn't allow this at any table I am DMing, ever. However, I wouldn't allow any form of coffeelock at my table.

Mikal
2019-05-05, 07:13 AM
You don’t have to do any strenuous activity to have a short rest.

RAW you just declare to the DM “while everyone is doing a long rest I’ll do my four hour rest, then four short rests and convert my spell slots to sorcery points”.

And personally I would allow this at my table because I’m not scared of a sorlock having extra sorcery points at the start of the day.

Keravath
2019-05-05, 10:21 AM
As the others have said it is entirely up to the DM.

The rules say that the elf will fulfill the requirements to complete a long rest and restore resources in 4 hours. However, a long rest isn't limited to the time to restore resources. Sometimes parties will rest 8, 10, 12 hours depending on what they are waiting for. They still only have one long rest.

In a similar way, a DM could say that if you are sitting around with the party at one camp site hanging out then however, long the block of time might be constitutes one long rest.

Could a group take consecutive short rests? Again up to the DM. They fulfill the requirements of a short rest in one hour but if they decide to rest for two a DM could just say that is still one short rest since it doesn't fulfill the requirements for a long rest and the rules give no upper time limit for long or short rests.