PDA

View Full Version : Time Stop help

HamsterKun
2019-05-05, 12:36 PM
If my Wizard were to cast Time Stop, would I be able to have like [THE WORLD] and throw a couple dozen daggers, and then resume time so all of them hit my target at once?

stoutstien
2019-05-05, 12:39 PM
Raw no, I would allow it personally and still a weak pick for the slot cost

HamsterKun
2019-05-05, 12:40 PM
Raw no, I would allow it personally and still a weak pick for the slot cost

“Weak pick”?

Lunali
2019-05-05, 12:43 PM
There are other, more effective things you could do with the time or the 9th level slot, making taking 1d4+1 turns to throw daggers a fairly weak choice.

stoutstien
2019-05-05, 12:44 PM
“Weak pick”?

We're talkin about level 9 spells. We got wish, true polymorph, mass polymorph, shape change, foresight, but mostly wish.

Time stop is more on par with a 6 or maybe 7th lv spell

nickl_2000
2019-05-05, 12:46 PM
“Weak pick”?

It would be a pretty weak use of the time stop spell. You are casting a ninth level spell to throw some daggers and have them all hit at once.

Considering that timestop allows for 1d4+1 turns, I am not sure how you would throw a couple dozen daggers through. If you have two attacks per round (bladesinger) I would certainly let you throw two daggers per round and have them all hit at once. Compared to the other 9th level spells, it kind of stinks.

stoutstien
2019-05-05, 12:51 PM
Better off casting animate object with the slot. 18ish daggers hitting at once I think.

nickl_2000
2019-05-05, 12:56 PM
Better off casting animate object with the slot. 18ish daggers hitting at once I think.

That's a good way to bring a battle to a complete and utter standstill. :)

Keravath
2019-05-05, 01:38 PM
“Weak pick”?

I think folks consider it weak because it is much more limited than in the previous editions.

"This spell ends if one of the actions you use during this period, or any effects that you create during this period, affects a creature other than you or an object being worn or carried by someone other than you."

Basically, you are limited to spells that do not affect other creatures until your last round of time stop. At which point it will end. This allows you to get a number of beneficial spells in place in one round but you can't cast 1d4+1 fireballs or throw 2x (1d4+1) daggers for example since they would be affecting another creature. Some DMs might allow it due to the concept of "time stop" and the interpretation that time has stopped could allow any actions to be taken but that is not RAW.

As such, time stop is pretty limited unless you have decent imagination and the right spells.

You could conjure or summon allies, cast defensive spells, move to a more tactical location for the combat, create an illusion of a prison around the opponents and make it real if you are an illusionist. Cast a delayed blast fireball and follow it up with a second fireball to end the time stop. However, keep in mind that you are limited to one concentration spell and most of these useful spells require concentration.

As a result, time stop may be a "weaker" option than Wish which can accomplish any 8th level or lower spell in a single action or perhaps Meteor swarm that can do a lot of damage to a lot of targets.

HamsterKun
2019-05-05, 02:44 PM
Time stop is more on par with a 6 or maybe 7th lv spell

So maybe 1d4+1 rounds at Lv6 and an extra 1d4+1 for each level after that?

stoutstien
2019-05-05, 02:50 PM
So maybe 1d4+1 rounds at Lv6 and an extra 1d4+1 for each level after that?
Just spitballing I'd say 1d4+1 +1 per lv upcast.

HamsterKun
2019-05-05, 02:53 PM
Just spitballing I'd say 1d4+1 +1 per lv upcast.

Then what should we do?

Aquillion
2019-05-05, 02:54 PM
That's a good way to bring a battle to a complete and utter standstill. :)IIRC the DMG suggests making one roll for large groups of identical creatures. This is almost obligatory for mass animation of tiny objects.

I think folks consider it weak because it is much more limited than in the previous editions.

"This spell ends if one of the actions you use during this period, or any effects that you create during this period, affects a creature other than you or an object being worn or carried by someone other than you."
That's not the main reason. The main reason Time Stop is weak in 5e is external to the spell itself - it's because of the Concentration change.

In 3.5e, the best way to use Time Stop was to stop time and cast a bunch of buffs or battlefield control - you still wouldn't usually target people directly. In 5e, most of the stuff worth casting like that has a concentration requirement, so there's no advantage to stopping time and trying to cast a bunch at once.

That said, Faithful Hound several times + a final Forcecage or somesuch can be fun (and way more effective than throwing daggers.)

sithlordnergal
2019-05-05, 03:08 PM
Hehehe, I see what you're doing there. If you want to play Sakuya, I'd actually go Monk and ask if you can get a special subclass that allows you to throw as many weapons as you have attacks, followed by a Time Stop equivalent as the subclass' capstone.