PDA

View Full Version : Rod of Security

nickl_2000
2019-05-05, 12:55 PM
My level 17 Druid/Ranger just picked up a Rod of Security in a dragon hoard in the campaign we are playing. He mostly wants it so that he will have a nice summer home away from towns (and well, people). The rest of the party is pretty well set on items, so there were no complaints about my character taking it.

As a note, we are nearing the end of campaign with an estimated 3 session left before we are completely finished. I'm sure we will be fighting the BBEG in an epic battle soon. So, I'm trying to think of uses for this Rod of Security besides a nice summer home and can't come up with a lot.

An emergency get out of jail free card if an ally is in a bad place and needs dispelling, healing,etc
A way to burn a magic users spell slots, by waiting until they cast a high level concentration spell and then porting out of that plane of existance
A safe place for a long rest and a heroes feast for ourselves and our allies prior to the BBEG fight.
A safe place to set up non-concentration buffs before BBEG fight (freedom of movement, longstrider, etc)

I'm not used to having this high powered magical item, so I haven't thought it through as much as the uncommon and rare magical items.

Ventruenox
2019-05-06, 05:37 AM
The best strategic use idea I got is to hire an friendly NPC Bard or similar spellcaster to create an illusion of the BBEG. Then have it proclaim to a large number of it's minions that your party would have otherwise had to fight through, "You have served me well. Drink up as a reward." Then have your NPC activate the Rod of Security to whisk them off to a pub till after the final battle.

Otherwise, it makes for a good epilogue with your character. "You've just killed the BBEG and saved the world. What are you going to do now?" "I'm going to Disney World!"

Wizard_Lizard
2019-05-06, 05:48 AM
The best strategic use idea I got is to hire an friendly NPC Bard or similar spellcaster to create an illusion of the BBEG. Then have it proclaim to a large number of it's minions that your party would have otherwise had to fight through, "You have served me well. Drink up as a reward." Then have your NPC activate the Rod of Security to whisk them off to a pub till after the final battle.

Otherwise, it makes for a good epilogue with your character. "You've just killed the BBEG and saved the world. What are you going to do now?" "I'm going to Disney World!"

That'd be hilarious

Vogie
2019-05-06, 08:02 PM
I mean, it's not a permanent home - IIRC, he can only use it for 200 consecutive days, then has to wait for its 10 day cooldown before going back.

However, your DM may allow you to pair the Rod of Security with an actual coastal village, thus allow the Ranger to hearthstone back there whenever.

nickl_2000
2019-05-07, 06:33 AM
I mean, it's not a permanent home - IIRC, he can only use it for 200 consecutive days, then has to wait for its 10 day cooldown before going back.

However, your DM may allow you to pair the Rod of Security with an actual coastal village, thus allow the Ranger to hearthstone back there whenever.

That's why I called it my Druid/Ranger's summer home. Besides the fact, the campaign will be wrapped up and be over. I'm not really all that worried about what the DM will allow and not allow for that character (besides the character is a Moon Druid, I've spent enough time asking if things are allowed).

Coffee_Dragon
2019-05-07, 12:19 PM
Those who would give up a Rod of Liberty for a Rod of Security deserve neither Rod of Liberty nor Rod of Security.

Ventruenox
2019-05-07, 01:35 PM
Can I award you the Rod of Franklin?