PDA

View Full Version : Archivist Necromancer

Zombulian
2019-05-05, 01:22 PM
Hey all, I know the Necromancer Handbook says to skip the Archivist because of how campaign dependent their spell list is, but I have a pretty lenient playgroup and I like Archivist mechanics.
That said, how is it best done? It seems like it would be kinda in between Wizard and Cleric since you get Animate Dead as a 3rd level spell, plus Desecrate. You don’t get domains or turning, but you do get access to Command Undead. Access to Magic Fang from Druid makes monstrous undead more viable, etc.
Are there any sneaky divine spells that would make an Archivist Necromancer unique?

Malphegor
2019-05-05, 02:19 PM
If you need turning and a domain, a dip in Contemplative is how I’ve seen Archivists do it. Just claim they saw a zombie angel or something of that sort and that got them thinking differently.

Beyond that... Druids have a spell I forget the name of that lets them use sticks and stones to create a skeleton animated as normal, so as a ‘in a pinch’ moment that works. I think an Archivist Necromancer would mainly do well due to the sheer number of buffs and boosts divine magic brings to the table.

With domain draughts from MIC giving you temporary access to domains you otherwise wouldn’t, you have a lot of otherwise arcane spells transcribeable as permanently known spells, leading to your army being Hasted and suchlike.

Zombulian
2019-05-05, 02:42 PM
If you need turning and a domain, a dip in Contemplative is how I’ve seen Archivists do it. Just claim they saw a zombie angel or something of that sort and that got them thinking differently.

I think I’m planning to go full Archivist. Not sure why I’m choosing to hamstring myself by going without turning or native domains, but I guess I am.

Beyond that... Druids have a spell I forget the name of that lets them use sticks and stones to create a skeleton animated as normal, so as a ‘in a pinch’ moment that works. I think an Archivist Necromancer would mainly do well due to the sheer number of buffs and boosts divine magic brings to the table.

Hm. I’ll take a look for that. But yes I’m looking to really abuse the buffing ability here.

With domain draughts from MIC giving you temporary access to domains you otherwise wouldn’t, you have a lot of otherwise arcane spells transcribeable as permanently known spells, leading to your army being Hasted and suchlike.

Oh that’s a good idea! Less reliant on a scroll of Haste specifically scribed by a Cleric with the Time domain being on the market. Just buy a Time Domain Draught and scribe it myself!

Oberron
2019-05-05, 02:58 PM
Hey all, I know the Necromancer Handbook says to skip the Archivist because of how campaign dependent their spell list is, but I have a pretty lenient playgroup and I like Archivist mechanics.
That said, how is it best done? It seems like it would be kinda in between Wizard and Cleric since you get Animate Dead as a 3rd level spell, plus Desecrate. You don’t get domains or turning, but you do get access to Command Undead. Access to Magic Fang from Druid makes monstrous undead more viable, etc.
Are there any sneaky divine spells that would make an Archivist Necromancer unique?

Magic fang only works on a living creatures.

As for spells fused arms, stone bones, magic vestments, magic stones for early game ranged undead. Are all useful.

Look at the paladin spell list for useful spells I'm sure there are a few gems.

If you really want to abuse buffing your undead I have a wip guide about doing so

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?586132-Fell-Energy-Spell-For-the-copperpinching-Necromancer-wanting-buff-undead

The feat grave born warrior is also good for giving undead a feat of your choice. A small discussion on it here.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?581956-Best-feats-for-Graveborn-Warrior

Thurbane
2019-05-05, 04:54 PM
The Divine Magician ACF opens up Sor/Wiz only spells as divine, which is great for what you're looking for. Also the Hexer PrC basically opens up ALL Sor/Wiz spells as divine.

As you noted, though, this is dependant on the DM.

In fact, an Archivist can happily slot into Hexer, after picking up Lightning Bolt from an Adept, and get the required survival ranks. You sacrifice skill points for full BAB, a bonus Sor/Wiz spell every 2 levels, and a very handy Hex ability.

With our without Hexer, though, I believe an Archivist could make a solid necromancer, with their access to all divine spells...

Zombulian
2019-05-05, 05:53 PM
Magic fang only works on a living creatures.

ACK! Well there goes that plan.

As for spells fused arms, stone bones, magic vestments, magic stones for early game ranged undead. Are all useful.

Look at the paladin spell list for useful spells I'm sure there are a few gems.

If you really want to abuse buffing your undead I have a wip guide about doing so

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?586132-Fell-Energy-Spell-For-the-copperpinching-Necromancer-wanting-buff-undead

I’ll note those and I’ll need to check out Paladin spells. I mean shoot, do Archivists benefit from Battle Blessing? And yes, I’ve already bookmarked your guide :^)

The feat grave born warrior is also good for giving undead a feat of your choice. A small discussion on it here.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?581956-Best-feats-for-Graveborn-Warrior

I’ll take a look at this.

The Divine Magician ACF opens up Sor/Wiz only spells as divine, which is great for what you're looking for. Also the Hexer PrC basically opens up ALL Sor/Wiz spells as divine.

As you noted, though, this is dependant on the DM.

In fact, an Archivist can happily slot into Hexer, after picking up Lightning Bolt from an Adept, and get the required survival ranks. You sacrifice skill points for full BAB, a bonus Sor/Wiz spell every 2 levels, and a very handy Hex ability.

With our without Hexer, though, I believe an Archivist could make a solid necromancer, with their access to all divine spells...

Divine Magician is probably a no go? Maybe if we had one in the group, but just the existence of such an ACF doesn’t necessarily mean it would be in Magic Marts (in my head at least). So I guess that’s a limitation I have, probably personal, as I could probably talk my DM into it.
Hexer is indeed a great nab. Maybe slide in there after 8th to get DK (Foe).

Oberron
2019-05-05, 10:51 PM
I’ll note those and I’ll need to check out Paladin spells. I mean shoot, do Archivists benefit from Battle Blessing? And yes, I’ve already bookmarked your guide :^)

Cool thanks! I'll take a look at off the wall divine classes and spells for the Archivist just for you.