PDA

View Full Version : Multiclass Ideas

Name2020
2019-05-05, 01:28 PM
Starting a campaign in High School and wanted to try to multi-class. Was thinking of trying Whispers Bard/Assassin Rogue or something to that degree. Would like to hear some other ideas that could be interesting. Personally I prefer a combat based play style. But I don't want full Murder Hobo or Min/Max builds as my last campaign I went full Murder Hobo.

nickl_2000
2019-05-05, 01:32 PM
Are you looking for the best way to make that combination work?

1) Are you looking for a certain type of character and what some suggestions?
2) Are you looking for fun multiclasses to see what happens?

Also, what level are you starting and going to, any clue?

If you are looking for a skilled edgelord type character a Vengence Paladin 7/College of Whisper X Bard would be pretty darn edgy and scary as a character.

Name2020
2019-05-05, 01:38 PM
Are you looking for the best way to make that combination work?

1) Are you looking for a certain type of character and what some suggestions?
2) Are you looking for fun multiclasses to see what happens?

Also, what level are you starting and going to, any clue?

1) Looking for some fun role-play ideas not edgy per-say but just interesting.
2) Yes
3) Don't know exactly probably 1-3 but we are doing it over 4 years so we will have time to level up.

KyleG
2019-05-05, 05:18 PM
Im working o a gypsy whispers bard / rogue thief or swashbuckler. Quick and cunning

CTurbo
2019-05-05, 06:08 PM
Whisper Bard/Swashbuckler Rogue would go nicely together. The "problem" is you'd really want 5 levels in each for best effect, and 3 levels of each minimum for the idea to "come online" good.

I would probably start and take 5 straight levels of one, then 5 straight levels of the other. By then, if you hit level 11, you'd know which path you'd want to take from there. Rogue if more combat oriented, Bard if more spell/utility oriented.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-06, 12:03 PM
Whispers Bard is probably the best choice as a ranged attacking Bard. The ability it provides you has no melee range requirement, and Ranged > Melee when given a choice.

If you want more melee combat, I'd recommend either the Valor Bard or the Swords Bard.

If you really want to multiclass with Rogue, you want to pay attention to a these things:

Whispers lets you spend a Bonus Action to dramatically increase your attack damage.
Rogues often use their Bonus Actions for a feature.

So we'll be looking for a Rogue archetype that doesn't care about using a Bonus Action at the same time that you're attacking.

Swashbuckler is probably out, as it's best used with Two Weapon Fighting, which directly competes with your Bonus Action.
Mastermind is out, due to its primary feature requiring use of the Bonus Action. Bit of a shame, due to how interesting the combination would be.
Thief is probably out, as it'll be hard to combine the features of both classes coherently.
Arcane Trickster could work. You don't usually use your Hand in combat, and you don't actually need Intelligence as an Arcane Trickster. Just recognize that you'll do most of your cool tricks out of combat.
Scout could work. Scout usually works best with some kind of close-ranged option (like Crossbow Expert and a Hand Crossbow), but it'd work just fine for a Whispers Bard who likes to get up close and personal with throwing daggers or something.
Inquisitive might work, as you only need to use the Bonus Action effect from the Inquisitive once per target.
Assassin could work, actually! You could Frighten someone to get them to isolate themselves, then kill them while they're alone! Or tack on your Psychic blades to a critical hit and double their value!

Honestly, though, I'd recommend swapping out one of the two classes for Warlock. The Warlock gives so many tools to either the Bard or the Rogue, but doesn't use its Bonus Action very much, leaving it very open for using your multiclass' features. Whispers Bard + 2 levels into Warlock (For the Mask of Many Faces invocation) is incredibly powerful and fun.

Crgaston
2019-05-06, 12:51 PM
Whispers Bard is probably the best choice as a ranged attacking Bard. The ability it provides you has no melee range requirement, and Ranged > Melee when given a choice.

If you want more melee combat, I'd recommend either the Valor Bard or the Swords Bard.

If you really want to multiclass with Rogue, you want to pay attention to a these things:

Whispers lets you spend a Bonus Action to dramatically increase your attack damage.
Rogues often use their Bonus Actions for a feature.

So we'll be looking for a Rogue archetype that doesn't care about using a Bonus Action at the same time that you're attacking.

Swashbuckler is probably out, as it's best used with Two Weapon Fighting, which directly competes with your Bonus Action.
Mastermind is out, due to its primary feature requiring use of the Bonus Action. Bit of a shame, due to how interesting the combination would be.
Thief is probably out, as it'll be hard to combine the features of both classes coherently.
Arcane Trickster could work. You don't usually use your Hand in combat, and you don't actually need Intelligence as an Arcane Trickster. Just recognize that you'll do most of your cool tricks out of combat.
Scout could work. Scout usually works best with some kind of close-ranged option (like Crossbow Expert and a Hand Crossbow), but it'd work just fine for a Whispers Bard who likes to get up close and personal with throwing daggers or something.
Inquisitive might work, as you only need to use the Bonus Action effect from the Inquisitive once per target.

Honestly, though, I'd recommend swapping out one of the two classes for Warlock. The Warlock gives so many tools to either the Bard or the Rogue, but doesn't use its Bonus Action very much, leaving it very open for using your multiclass' features. Whispers Bard + 2 levels into Warlock (For the Mask of Many Faces invocation) is incredibly powerful and fun.

Great analysis! I'll be Devil's Advocate for Mastermind, though. As a Whispers Bard, you're only likely to have 3-4 uses per day for your Psychic Blades feature until you hit L5, whereupon it switches to a Short Rest recharge cycle. And you can't use it on turns when you cast a spell.

That's A LOT of turns that you won't be using Psychic Blades, especially if you go Rogue 5 first.

If you have a heavy hitter in the party, giving them Advantage with your bonus action can be quite potent, and you don't ever run out of those.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-06, 01:09 PM
Great analysis! I'll be Devil's Advocate for Mastermind, though. As a Whispers Bard, you're only likely to have 3-4 uses per day for your Psychic Blades feature until you hit L5, whereupon it switches to a Short Rest recharge cycle. And you can't use it on turns when you cast a spell.

That's A LOT of turns that you won't be using Psychic Blades, especially if you go Rogue 5 first.

If you have a heavy hitter in the party, giving them Advantage with your bonus action can be quite potent, and you don't ever run out of those.

Maybe? But I'd say that your Psychic Blades attack would probably make you the team's heavy hitter. If damage output was the primary concern, two more levels into Bard would give a lot more than 3 levels into Rogue.

But you do make a good point. I do think that the Mastermind would perform better with another Bard type though (Lore would do well), which is a damn shame.

Crgaston
2019-05-07, 01:09 AM
Maybe? But I'd say that your Psychic Blades attack would probably make you the team's heavy hitter. If damage output was the primary concern, two more levels into Bard would give a lot more than 3 levels into Rogue.

But you do make a good point. I do think that the Mastermind would perform better with another Bard type though (Lore would do well), which is a damn shame.

Lore Bard is an awesome combo with Mastermind for the action economy pwnage alone.

If I were building this character, I'd start as a Rogue for the extra skill, Expertise in Stealth and Persuasion, and Int over Cha save proficiency. Your Cha will be pretty high already, might as well spread the love.
L2 would be Rogue, because Cunning Action is that good.
L3-7 would be Bard. This brings you Spellcasting, more Expertise + archetype, and eventually a d8 for your inspiration, +3d6 Psychic Blades on a Short Rest, and 3rd level spells.

L 8 is where you'd have to decide on Rogue Archetype. Only... that's not entirely true. If I were leaning towards the Inquisitive archetype, I'd want to make sure to put one of my Expertises in Insight back at Bard 3 (CL5). Otherwise I'd probably pick one Cha skill (Persuasion or Deception) and one physical skill (Athletics or Acrobatics).

Mastermind would be good if you feel like you can make use of the non-combat fluff (which does pair beautifully with Whispers) and/or if you have a GWM character, Paladin, and/or a straight Rogue in your party. Keep in mind that you don't get to use PB when you cast a spell, so on rounds that you wouldn't be using it anyway, you can still give a teammate Advantage. And even if it isn't optimal, giving your allies Advantage is fun for everyone. It feels good when someone hits instead of misses because of you.

Arcane Trickster, on the other hand, would give you some more cantrips and 1st level spells known. Probably Disguise Self, Silent Image, and either Find Familiar or Shield.

If you can pick up Booming Blade, your hits with BB, a short sword, Sneak Attack and Psychic Blades will be doing 1d8+1d6+2d6+3d6 + Dex. Plus another 2d8 if they move. That's a fair amount ... ~30 average without the rider damage.

As tempting as the ASI and Uncanny Dodge are, I'm not sure I would cut into Bardic spell progression any deeper than Rogue 3.

As to RP concepts, He'd be a hustler driven to rise above his station who met up with an educated mentor (or group) who encouraged him to explore his abilities. It'd be up to him to decide how he used those abilities.

Or maybe he's a scout/spy for a large mercenary company. The old Sergeant Major sees something in him and teaches him in the ways of subtly influencing his superiors and being quietly effective in combat.

Agent-KI7KO
2019-05-08, 10:09 AM
I would like to recommend Glamour 6, Archfey 1.

The two features combine to get really good synergy.

Go Archfey 2 for invocations if you took Eldritch Blast.

strangebloke
2019-05-08, 03:32 PM
Starting a campaign in High School and wanted to try to multi-class. Was thinking of trying Whispers Bard/Assassin Rogue or something to that degree. Would like to hear some other ideas that could be interesting. Personally I prefer a combat based play style. But I don't want full Murder Hobo or Min/Max builds as my last campaign I went full Murder Hobo.
Hi!

First of all, it's possible to build a min maxed character without going murder hobo.

Secondly, Rogue multiclasses well with nearly everything... Except bard. They both like to use their bonus action and they both get lots of skill boosts. My advice would be to pick either whispers bard or Rogue as Base, take five levels in that class, and then multiclass.

Here's one way this could look:
Half elf assassin rogue 5 / fey warlock x

As you gain levels you can use your powerful stealth ability to set up devastating criticals. At warlock level 2 you can grab devil's sight and mask of many faces to complement your high charisma stealthy character. Warlocks never run out of gas and you can cast tons of out of combat magic.