PDA

View Full Version : How good is Amazing World of Gumball?

Magic_Hat
2019-05-05, 06:23 PM
I've seen a few episodes but never really became invested in it. The episodes I have seen are...

-The Console
-The Shell
-The Master

I've enjoyed all these episodes, usually for different reason. The Shell is just a great story with a good message while the console is fun and a good satire/parody of RPGs. Anyway I never really got into Gumball because all the characters have different animation styles. I know that's the point, but for whatever reason I couldn't get into it.

Then I saw this clip which may be the funniest things I've ever seen, and I may not be speaking figuratively:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeAp15OmW2s

"There's a couple of little glitches with certain commands. Like if I try to use the arrow with the balloons, see what happens? [computer explodes] So, yeah, pretty good game. 8/10. Would play again."

So any recommendations? Other great episodes I should check out? Also what episode is that calculator clip from? Because I want to watch the whole thing.

JadedDM
2019-05-05, 06:31 PM
That particular scene is from Season 4's, "The Uploads." The entire episode is sort of a tongue-in-cheek 'take that' to the internet and its culture.

An Enemy Spy
2019-05-05, 06:37 PM
According to the show, it's Amazing.

Magic_Hat
2019-05-05, 06:49 PM
That particular scene is from Season 4's, "The Uploads." The entire episode is sort of a tongue-in-cheek 'take that' to the internet and its culture.

Well I know what I'm watching later.

According to the show, it's Amazing.

They said the same thing about the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man movies, but I respectfully disagree.

An Enemy Spy
2019-05-05, 06:58 PM
I'm sure Andrew Garfield's mom liked them...

Magic_Hat
2019-05-05, 07:03 PM
I'm sure Andrew Garfield's mom liked them...

Moms don't know nothin' about good superhero movies let alone good Spider-Man movies!*:smallannoyed:

*Hopefully my double negative and intentional spelling error will let you know I'm not being serious.

tonberrian
2019-05-06, 01:27 AM
I've watched quite a bit of Gumball, and it definitely earns the Amazing moniker. It's just consistently really good with spikes of EVEN BETTER. Last I checked Hulu had most episodes except for possibly the most recent season. My favorite episodes were the one where Richard loses the kids and he has to backtrack to find them (The Return), and the one where Richard gets a job as a pizza delivery boy (The Job). Richard's my favorite character. He's so delightfully dense.

Magic_Hat
2019-05-06, 01:51 AM
Richard's my favorite character. He's so delightfully dense.

Well he is a great let's player. I checked, and my PC also has a copy of Calcu'lator. I'm tempted to play. Maybe try out that arrow-balloon glitch.

No brains
2019-05-09, 01:16 PM
The show is chaotic energy. It keeps things going, often in weird directions.

I'm sorry if that doesn't really speak to its 'quality', but even just in my own head, a person could find that alternately amazing or annoying. It evens out to a neutral trait, but it is a trait the show always has.

Magic_Hat
2019-05-09, 01:43 PM
The show is chaotic energy. It keeps things going, often in weird directions.

I'm sorry if that doesn't really speak to its 'quality', but even just in my own head, a person could find that alternately amazing or annoying. It evens out to a neutral trait, but it is a trait the show always has.

Well just point me to more clips that are of the same quality as "try[ing] to use the arrow with the balloons."

Aotrs Commander
2019-05-09, 02:26 PM
It's quite adequate Cleaning the Room Telly - which in fairness was several steps above where I expected it was going to be - and it beats seeing even the good Spongebob episodes for the trillionth time.

Grim Portent
2019-05-09, 05:38 PM
Yeah I'd say it's good enough to be worth watching with a few really good episodes. Sometimes an episode doesn't really work for me, but by far most of them have been fun to watch and it has the odd moment of disturbing weirdness that reminds me of some of my favourite childhood cartoons.

The Virus and The Joy are two episodes I recommend, and The Puppy is pretty fantastic. The Sweaters is a fun poke at old cartoons and some old movies.

Magic_Hat
2019-05-09, 07:14 PM
Just saw this clip earlier today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQWb9Jrp8Jo

Wow! This show has an animation budget!

DeadMech
2019-05-09, 10:40 PM
How about a nice song in our kids cartoon about how life is meaningless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LRjHo5lkpk

I don't strive to keep up with this show since it's not continuity focused like most things I follow. But when I do see it it's usually enjoyable.

Magic_Hat
2019-05-10, 07:45 AM
How about a nice song in our kids cartoon about how life is meaningless.

I don't strive to keep up with this show since it's not continuity focused like most things I follow. But when I do see it it's usually enjoyable.

What? Did the people behind Don't Hug Me I'm Scared make that? Nah I'm kidding. I know they actually made this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXhmSnrr4_g

"Count to the funnest number! The fun will never end!"