PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What Should I Do At Level 8?

SuperbDolphin
2019-05-05, 08:59 PM
I'm currently playing in an epic fantasy, high magic style campaign as a Mountain Dwarf Zealot Barbarian. I just reached level 7 last session, and want to take a feat at level 8. Here is his current rundown:
STR
22 (Manual of Gainful Exercise)
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
13 (I know, lots of thirteens.)
Already has Great Weapon Master
Folk Hero Background
Uses a +1 Warhammer of displacement(DC 10 +1d4 lightning damage)
Half Plate Armor (16 AC then +3 from handy homebrew animated shield.
79 Hp
Figurine of wondrous power (Giant Fly)
This world is very technologically advanced, with airships and sometimes guns, and the party is currently in Underdark, searching for a captured dwarven clan currently imprisoned by Duergar.
Please Reply With Feat Reccomendations

nickl_2000
2019-05-05, 09:21 PM
I would vote for resilient wisdom. It evens out your wisdom score, and gives you proficiency in saves. Which is always a problem with barbarians.

It may not be the most flashy, but it's darn useful

SuperbDolphin
2019-05-05, 09:25 PM
This is a really great option! I have had lots of problems with saves in the past, so this could be really helpful! Thanks

Teaguethebean
2019-05-05, 10:14 PM
I second resilient wis as if a lv 14 zealot gets held or something than that could end their rage in any way could literally be the difference between life and death.

SuperbDolphin
2019-05-05, 10:34 PM
I second resilient wis as if a lv 14 zealot gets held or something than that could end their rage in any way could literally be the difference between life and death.
Thanks for the insight!

R.Shackleford
2019-05-05, 10:58 PM
I'm currently playing in an epic fantasy, high magic style campaign as a Mountain Dwarf Zealot Barbarian. I just reached level 7 last session, and want to take a feat at level 8. Here is his current rundown:
STR
22 (Manual of Gainful Exercise)
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
13 (I know, lots of thirteens.)
Already has Great Weapon Master
Folk Hero Background
Uses a +1 Warhammer of displacement(DC 10 +1d4 lightning damage)
Half Plate Armor (16 AC then +3 from handy homebrew animated shield.
79 Hp
Figurine of wondrous power (Giant Fly)
This world is very technologically advanced, with airships and sometimes guns, and the party is currently in Underdark, searching for a captured dwarven clan currently imprisoned by Duergar.
Please Reply With Feat Reccomendations

You do enough damage and wis saves are nice... But if a DM is throwing wis saving throws at you, it can be fun to let them connect to boil up some tension or turn on your allies, really roleplay it.

You need something fun.

Ritual Caster. Don't tell your allies

Fimd out what rituals the casters have, if any, and pick up different ones. Tell them you're gaining then to send to a family member...

Work with the DM on having this feature be needed... Like being stuck in a room with slowly rising water. When all hope is lost, your character sits down and starts mumbling. He didn't want to have to do this but... *casts water breathing as a ritual*.

The rest of the party will be all :smalleek: while you're over there all :smallamused:

CheddarChampion
2019-05-05, 11:07 PM
I'd boost Dex and Con by 1 each.
+1 AC, dex skills, saves, initiative
+8 HP for now, +1 Con saves

Wearing no armor will now give you the same AC as half plate, but no disadvantage to stealth.

What is a warhammer of displacement? (And I imagine you can't use GWM with it, being a warhammer?)

R.Shackleford
2019-05-05, 11:09 PM
What is a warhammer of displacement?

Well, if it's anything like my hammer in the garage, it displaces itself when I put it down for two seconds and only comes back when I don't need it.

CTurbo
2019-05-06, 04:52 AM
Definitely Res(Wis) or Ritual Caster!!!

darknite
2019-05-06, 07:24 AM
Yeah, Resilience (Wis) is a good choice. Just realize that that's the only Resilience you'll get.

Otherwise the +1 Dex (to max out your medium armor bonus) and +1 Con (for 8 more HP) are good.

If anything else, I'd consider Tough because HP are the currency of D&D and more is always good. But the other two are probably better.

SuperbDolphin
2019-05-06, 08:00 AM
You do enough damage and wis saves are nice... But if a DM is throwing wis saving throws at you, it can be fun to let them connect to boil up some tension or turn on your allies, really roleplay it.

You need something fun.

Ritual Caster. Don't tell your allies

Fimd out what rituals the casters have, if any, and pick up different ones. Tell them you're gaining then to send to a family member...

Work with the DM on having this feature be needed... Like being stuck in a room with slowly rising water. When all hope is lost, your character sits down and starts mumbling. He didn't want to have to do this but... *casts water breathing as a ritual*.

The rest of the party will be all :smalleek: while you're over there all :smallamused:

I love this idea! My group would love this kind of thing once they find out the secret!

SuperbDolphin
2019-05-06, 10:37 AM
Well, if it's anything like my hammer in the garage, it displaces itself when I put it down for two seconds and only comes back when I don't need it.
Lol. It's actually a regular plus 1 Warhammer but if creature fails a flat d20 roll (DC 10), then I they have disadvantage to hit me.