PDA

View Full Version : Necromancer Boss with 3.5 Feats

kbob
2019-05-05, 09:22 PM
So I have an idea that I wanted to throw at everyone. I am kinda underwhelemed with the Arcane Tradition of the necromancer school for the wizard. I’m especially underwhelmed by it as a boss NPC. I’m creating a wiz8 (necro) VHuman. The school features seem pretty lame to me.
I want to get them to an average level of 6. I don’t want it to be impossible but I do want it to be a challenge. I have warned my players numerous times that PC death is always a possibility, especially with boss battles. I believe that without the chance of PC death there really isn’t a game anymore (especially when most of them are DMs as well and are aware of things like fudging die roles).
But enough about gaming philosophy. So one of my solutions is to use a few 3.5 feats instead of 5e. I’m looking at corpsecrafter, bolster resistance, and chill touch. The boss will obviously have minions to do the damage and slow down the players while he stands back and buffs his pets or attempt batlefield control and throws the occasional direct damage spell. What do you think? Are those feats ok for what im trying to accomplish? Are they too powerful? If ok, how many minions should he have and what kind? We run 4-7 players as it is pick up style (about 3 of them play every session). I am listing the feat benefits below for those that are not familiar.
Thank you all!

-Corpsecrafter: Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and +2 hit points per Hit Die. (I would max strength to 20 in lieu of 5e)
-Bolster Resistance: (prereq.- corpsecrafter)
Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains +4 turn resistance. (Perhaps this could be advantage to save vs turning?)
-Deadly Chill: (prerq.- corpsecrafter)
Each corporeal undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell deals an extra 1d6 points of cold damage with its natural weapons).

P.S. I toyed with the idea of converting the 3.5 “desecrate” cleric spell to a 5e wizard spell necro school specific but thought that may be too much. The players are crafty so I try to make the bosses more powerful than they are as they work well together at coming up with ways to beating the BBEGs but I think that may be too much. But I am open to criticism on that as well for anyone familiar with that spell.
And thanks again.

SuperbDolphin
2019-05-05, 09:29 PM
What type of buffing spells will he use mid-fight?

Kane0
2019-05-05, 09:31 PM
You don't need to use PC building mechanics for making NPCs.

I think Volo's has a necromancer statblock?

SuperbDolphin
2019-05-05, 09:33 PM
You don't need to use PC building mechanics for making NPCs.

I think Volo's has a necromancer statblock?

Volo's does, yes.

DrKerosene
2019-05-05, 09:36 PM
If this is an NPC boss with plenty of prep-time, is there a reason you can prepare a rediculous amount of Glyphs Of Warding? Some would be loaded with Necromancy spells set to trigger on the Necromancer going down (along with a bunch of caged animals near), and others would just be loaded with Animate Dead (and Danse Macabre?) spells so you can ignore Concentration limits.

You Necromancer can be knocked unconcious and most of the undead continue doing thier thing, and then a small caged creature dies to bring back the boss.

kbob
2019-05-05, 10:03 PM
I was not aware of a necromancer in Volos. Thank you ill look him over!
As far as not creating NPCs as PCs, i usually do not. However, for main bosses i do. I try to give them depth and persona and i think it aids in such. The more PC-like they are the more indepth and relatable they are, at least from my perspective. It also gives them advantages that PCs get. The BBEG should be able to have access to things that PCs have (i.e. feats). PCs are exceptional persons but so is a main story villain.
The glyph suggestion is intriguing. Thanks.

R.Shackleford
2019-05-05, 11:02 PM
I was not aware of a necromancer in Volos. Thank you ill look him over!
As far as not creating NPCs as PCs, i usually do not. However, for main bosses i do. I try to give them depth and persona and i think it aids in such. The more PC-like they are the more indepth and relatable they are, at least from my perspective. It also gives them advantages that PCs get. The BBEG should be able to have access to things that PCs have (i.e. feats). PCs are exceptional persons but so is a main story villain.
The glyph suggestion is intriguing. Thanks.

Making them PC like may do that for you as a DM, but the players will see about the same thing... The big difference is that you had to do 10x more work.

Also, 5e parties weren't meant to go up against PCs.

Dungeon-noob
2019-05-06, 05:17 AM
Making them PC like may do that for you as a DM, but the players will see about the same thing... The big difference is that you had to do 10x more work.

Also, 5e parties weren't meant to go up against PCs.
GitP needs an upvote mechanic. I fully second all of the above. Only build NPCs this way if doing so itself is actually fun, otherwise it's not worth it.

kbob
2019-05-06, 09:15 AM
I actually do enjoy making them for major NPCs. It also gives me the advantage of being more familiar with character classes without having to make one for my own play.
But I just wanted to see if the feats listed seemed too OP for play against characters.

Dungeon-noob
2019-05-06, 11:49 AM
Okay, actual feedback on the feats then. Corpsecrafter is terrifying as is, but recalibrated fro 5e shouldn't be a problem. Don't make the buffs as big as they'd be in 3.5, what with bounded accuracy and the exponential impact of minion buffs like that, and shouldn't be a problem. Bolster undead doesn't fit 5e as well corpsecrafter, but doesn't matter much. Advantage works. Deadly chill is just waaaay too much. Corpsecrafter already gives extra damage, and with the extra staying power it gives i don't think the undead need even more striking strength. It doesn't fit the undead flavorwise anyway. I'd either leave it out, or reduce it to +1 damage.

JNAProductions
2019-05-06, 11:52 AM
So, if you add these feats, you're gonna have to recalibrate the CR of the bolstered undead.

You're also going to have to manually calculate the CR of the boss-a PC of level X is not CR X. They're typically somewhere between CR (1/3)X to (2/3)X, but that can vary.

Edit: That being said, I like designing monsters. Whatcha looking for? I could probably whip a thing up.

Rukelnikov
2019-05-07, 10:50 AM
You are missing the most important 3.x Necro feat! Destruction retribution! 1d6 damage (scaling, Ref for half) in 10 ft when an undead you created is destroyed.

Tbh, I think you should make one "Necromancer feat" and give it to your BBEG Necro, in general 5e feats give multiple benefits, take the most important aspects of the feats you mentioned and make them one feat, for example:

"Corpsecrafter:
Requirement: Ability to create undead

Your extensive practice at creating undeads has made you a master of the craft, undead you create are exceptionally powerful.

* Undead you create get +2 Con and +1 to AC
* The damage from CR 1 or higher undead's natural weapons is considered magical for the purpose of overcoming immunity and resistance to nonmagical attacks and damage.
* Undead you create can add your proficiency bonus to their saves against Turn Undead"

Maan
2019-05-07, 10:56 AM
What about giving the necro some "lair actions"?

Things like "A number of undead minions raise from the ground anywhere within 60 feet" could make for a pretty cool scene during a final battle. Well, assuming the PCs fight the necro in their lair, that is.

Rukelnikov
2019-05-07, 11:18 AM
What about giving the necro some "lair actions"?

Things like "A number of undead minions raise from the ground anywhere within 60 feet" could make for a pretty cool scene during a final battle. Well, assuming the PCs fight the necro in their lair, that is.

This is pretty good, Lair Actions are awesome

JNAProductions
2019-05-07, 11:58 AM
I grow weary of this!

Insert Necromantic Name Here
Medium Humanoid, Neutral Evil
Armor Class 16 (Cage Of Bones)
Hit Points 195 (30d8+60)
Speed 30'

Strength
Dexterity
Constitution
Intelligence
Wisdom
Charisma

8 (-1)
12 (+1)
14 (+2)
20 (+5)
14 (+2)
16 (+3)

Saving Throws Constitution +6
Skills Arcana +9, Deception +7, Intimidation +7
Damage Resistances Necrotic, Poison
Senses Darkvision 120', Passive Perception 12
Languages Any
Challenge Aiming For 10
Cage Of Bones The Necromancer has a field of bones constantly surrounding him, in an interlocking mesh of defense. In addition to granting him an AC of 16, it also creates difficult terrain for all foes within 15' of him.

Graveyard Resilience The Necromancer has advantage on saves against poison effects.

Eyes Of Night[/td] The Necromancer can see perfectly within his Darkvision range, in full brightness and color.

Spellcasting The Necromancer may cast the following spells, using Intelligence as his casting stat (+9 to-hit, save DC 17):

Cantrips: Chill Touch, Ray Of Frost, Firebolt-Note that cantrips are treated as being cast by a 10th level caster
1st level (4 slots): Absorb Elements, Shield, False Life, Fog Cloud, Ray Of Sickness
2nd level (4 slots): Blindness/Deafness, Darkness, Mind Spike, Ray of Enfeeblement, Spider Climb, Web
3rd level (3 slots): Bestow Curse, Fear, Fly, Gaseous Form, Sleet Storm, Vampiric Touch, Animate Dead
4th level (2 slots): Blight, Greater Invisibility, Vitriolic Sphere
5th level (2 slots): Cloudkill, Danse Macabre, Enervation, Negative Energy Flood

Actions
Negative Energy Touch Melee Spell Attack: +9 to-hit, reach 5', one target. Hit: 2d8 necrotic damage.

Alternatively, this may be used to heal an undead for 10 HP.

Bonus Actions
Consume Animating Spirit The Necromancer reaches out a spectral hand and devours the animating energies of an undead under his command within 30'. The undead is immediately destroyed, crumpling into a lifeless corpse, and the Necromancer may immediately regain 1d6 HP per 6 HP the undead had left, rounding up. (For instance, a zombie with 10 HP left would allow the Necromancer to roll 2d6 and regain that many HP.)

Reactions
Interpose Minion When targeted for a save or attack, the Necromancer may interpose an adjacent undead under his control, gaining 3/4ths cover against the attack. However, should the attack miss or the save be successful, the undead is subject to it as well, automatically being hit or failing their save.

Legendary Actions
The Necromancer can take 2 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The Necromancer regains spent legendary actions at the start of their turn.

Negative Energy Touch. The Necromancer makes a Negative Energy Touch.
Consume Animating Spirit. The Necromancer uses Consume Animating Spirit.
Spell (costs 2 actions). The Necromancer casts a 3rd level or lower spell.

Lair Actions
At initiative count 20, losing ties, the Necromancer may perform one of the following actions. No action can be taken twice in a row, and Animate Minions may only be used once every four rounds.

Grasping Skeletal Hands
In a 10' radius burst, grasping skeletal hands reach up from the ground. The area requires an additional 3' of movement for every foot traveled through it, and deals 1d4 bludgeoning damage for every 5' traveled through it.

Ghoulish Stench
A 5' radius cloud appears inside the lair, dealing 1d12 poison damage to everyone inside and creating heavy obscurement. The Necromancer can see through the cloud, but still suffers the damage.

Animate Minions
2d3 Zombies or Skeletons rise from the bones and corpses that litter the lair.

Extinguish
All light sources in the lair are extinguished.

Rukelnikov
2019-05-07, 12:38 PM
I grow weary of this!

Really nice monster!

Thoug I seriously doubt its CR 10, its hard to gauge using the DMG guidelines because it has a lot of options and spells, but i'd say its around CR 15, its similar to the Mummy Lord, much more durable, but also far less damaging, so CR 15 sounds appropiate, in its lair maybe an extra CR point would be reasonable.

EDIT: Actually, maybe this Necro is not that much durbale than Mummy Lord, since with its weak saves its exceptionally vulnerable to CC. So maybe CR 14 would be a better fit.

JNAProductions
2019-05-07, 01:07 PM
Really nice monster!

Thoug I seriously doubt its CR 10, its hard to gauge using the DMG guidelines because it has a lot of options and spells, but i'd say its around CR 15, its similar to the Mummy Lord, much more durable, but also far less damaging, so CR 15 sounds appropiate, in its lair maybe an extra CR point would be reasonable.

EDIT: Actually, maybe this Necro is not that much durbale than Mummy Lord, since with its weak saves its exceptionally vulnerable to CC. So maybe CR 14 would be a better fit.

Yeah, I'm bad at balancing with spells.

Maybe cut the AC by a point, halve the HP, and drop to 4th level spells for a more fair fight? I mean, you obviously want a Necromancer to have MINIONS, not just be a solo fight, so for a level 6 party...

Segev
2019-05-07, 02:20 PM
It's worth noting that hte Necromancer class feature for undead minions includes adding his proficiency bonus to their attack and damage, which is a big part of Corpsecrafter's benefits right there.

Maan
2019-05-07, 04:05 PM
I will be SO stealing this. :xykon:

DrKerosene
2019-05-08, 02:46 AM
This is pretty good, Lair Actions are awesome

Yeah, like a some caged animals (or chained up humans) being sacrificed to bring the Necromancer back to consciousness when first taken to 0hp.

Or (a few Glyphs Of Warding) summoning undead to aid the Necromancer when a triggering condition occurs, like Initative Count 20 and there being an unauthorized living creature nearby.

It's worth noting that hte Necromancer class feature for undead minions includes adding his proficiency bonus to their attack and damage, which is a big part of Corpsecrafter's benefits right there.

I’m aware of the 5e Necromancer getting that damage boost to undead, but I think undead only add the proficiency to attacks when you use Danse Macabre.