PDA

View Full Version : Gloves of Endless Javelins and iterative attacks

schreier
2019-05-05, 10:47 PM
Do you need to have quickdraw as a feat to do iterative attacks with javelins if you have the gloves of endless javelins? It is a free action (activation) to cause a +1 javelin of pure force to appear in your hand. Based on the intent of the gloves, I believe it should effectively supersede the need to have quickdraw, but wanted to confirm.

Thanks!
schreier

ericgrau
2019-05-05, 11:06 PM
Do you need to have quickdraw as a feat to do iterative attacks with javelins if you have the gloves of endless javelins? It is a free action (activation) to cause a +1 javelin of pure force to appear in your hand. Based on the intent of the gloves, I believe it should effectively supersede the need to have quickdraw, but wanted to confirm.

Thanks!
schreier

Yes you may do multiple free actions in the same turn, the javelin appears in your hand, and therefore you can full attack with the gloves. The DM may impose a limit on what he considers an excessive number of free actions, but compared to other free actions it's not a lot. For example a PC might draw ammo for a full attack, talk and 5 foot step all in the same round without any special abilities.

Kayblis
2019-05-06, 12:55 AM
Yes, if it's a free action to create the javelin it can be used in a full-attack. It's the same case as drawing an arrow, it's a free action done as part of an attack(firing with a bow).

schreier
2019-05-06, 06:15 AM
Thanks! That was my guess ... I don't know of any way to get further enchantments onto the gloves easily - does anyone else?

Bracers of Lightning would allow you to add shocking to the javelins as a swift action. Any other ways that people know of?

It seems challenging from a calculation to figure out the cost of adding magical properties to an unlimited number of force javelins, so that seems like a definite "negotiate with your DM" situation. As such, I am looking for definite, acceptable by RAW with clear pricing possibilities.

Thanks again!

ericgrau
2019-05-06, 07:50 AM
It seems challenging from a calculation to figure out the cost of adding magical properties to an unlimited number of force javelins, so that seems like a definite "negotiate with your DM" situation. As such, I am looking for definite, acceptable by RAW with clear pricing possibilities.
There's a prestige class called stormlord that will buff your javelins. It's medium BAB and full divine casting progression, so you might try cleric or favored soul entry. Due to the medium BAB, unless you are cheesing out DMM persisted Codzilla buffs, you may want (less cheesy) ways to boost your attack bonus. Boots of speed, being a halfling (+1 thrown, +1 dex, +1 size => +3), precise shot and far shot are some ways. Some American cheese ("is it really cheese?") is ranged weapon mastery (PHBII) and improved rapid shot (Complete Warrior). But if bracers of lightning are allowed and your group routinely gets several other similar items from MIC then these feats are probably no big deal. I was actually in a group that allowed belt of battle but not much else super powerful. Or at least players didn't bother finding more than 1 or 2 strong items and abilities. And so taking feats like these made my archer too strong. So that's the only reason I bring it up at all. Compared to other cheese you can find online these feats are nothing.

Bracers of lightning affect all your attacks for 1 round, so they work on a full attack. I don't see a limit on uses so you could activate it every round.

Other than that yeah you can talk to the DM about what a fair price would be for a custom item. A +1 frost weapon for example is 8,000 gp, so it probably should be something more than that. Probably more than a a +1 returning frost weapon too since you can full attack. But already the gloves of endless javelins and the bracers of lightning are better than core weapons, so you guys don't want to be too harsh on pricing. I mean gloves of endless javelins + bracers of lightning = 18,000 gp. While a +1 returning shocking javelin is also 18,000 gp and is much worse. True the bracers use your swift action and the weapon doesn't, but in core there likewise aren't a lot of uses for swift actions on martial characters. So it all depends how much your DM allows and you should talk to him about it.

Thurbane
2019-05-06, 05:54 PM
One piece of advice: as a command word item, beware Silence spells (or anything else that stops you from speaking)...

schreier
2019-05-07, 12:04 AM
That would be rough - you're right ...

Thanks everyone for the feedback!