PDA

View Full Version : Grappling and Movement - More complicated than it first appears?

Greywander
2019-05-06, 01:48 AM
Okay, so when you grapple a creature, their speed becomes 0. Simple enough. They can't move. Not by themselves, anyway. So what about when you move? Or when you move them? Here's the relevant excerpt:

Moving a Grappled Creature. When you move, you can drag or carry the grappled creature with you, but your speed is halved, unless the creature is two or more sizes smaller than you.
At first, this also seems straightforward: when you move while grappling, it costs double movement (or rather, your speed is halved, which is only relevant if the grapple ends during your turn). But hold on, this only considers the scenario in which you are both moving. In fact, there are three distinct movement scenarios in which the half movement may or may not come into play:

Both creatures move.
The grappler moves the grappled creature around them, but remains stationary.
The grappler moves around the grappled creature, but holds them in place.

The first one is the situation that has already been addressed: you move and drag the grappled creature behind you. Let's look at the other two.

So let's consider an example where you grab a creature, and then want to move them to the other side of you (perhaps so your allies can gather around and beat them up). You remain stationary, but the enemy is moved 10 feet. Does this cost movement? If so, is your movement speed halved for this movement? Is this type of movement even allowed? The rules don't actually say anything about moving a creature unless you, yourself are moving.

Then, there's the example in which you grab a creature and then move around them while holding them in place. Obviously, since you are moving, this will cost movement. But is your speed halved?

We can try to rationalize what's going on in order to derive a more universal rule, but we quickly run into some issues.

You have to spend movement to move the grappled creature. Thus, if you are both moving, it costs double movement. If you move the creature around you, you only need to pay for their movement.
Your movement costs double while you are grappling. You can move a grappled creature without spending movement, but if you move it always costs double, even if they don't move.
Your movement costs double when both of you move, but not if only you move. You can move the grappled creature without spending movement, and move around the creature at full speed.

Each of these have some issues. In the first case, what happens if you grapple two creatures? You do, after all, have two hands. Or, you could shapechange into a kraken and grapple 10 creatures. Do you have to pay for the movement of all 10, plus yourself?

In the second case, being able to move a creature without spending movement is just asking to get them dragged repeatedly through a Spike Growth until they expire, all on the same turn they get grappled. This is probably why most such environmental hazard spells only deal damage once per turn/round, instead of every time a creature enters the area on a given turn.

In the third case, you can just move around the creature at normal speed, move them around you for free, move around them at normal speed, etc. basically dragging them wherever at normal speed instead of half speed.

Honestly, I feel like the best solution to this whole headache is to ignore the half speed while grappling and just use variant encumbrance (if the grappled creature is heavy enough, you'll slow down). Even this doesn't say anything about moving another creature (or object) without moving yourself. Dragging might imply that you have to move ahead of them, but if a creature is light enough you can just lift them up and spin around.

R.Shackleford
2019-05-06, 01:53 AM
Specific beats general, specifically for grappling you move at half your speed.

Using basic english, this means you drag the creature as you move.

It isn't complicated at all.

Greywander
2019-05-06, 02:26 AM
What if you want to move the creature you are grappling, while you stay in one spot? Does that cost movement? How much?

Unoriginal
2019-05-06, 02:32 AM
What if you want to move the creature you are grappling, while you stay in one spot? Does that cost movement? How much?

The rules don't cover it. It implies that they'd rather have you move and drag the creature to reposition them.

If you want to allow that option, you can decide how it goes yourself.

BurgerBeast
2019-05-06, 02:33 AM
I’m AFB, but isn’t it the case that grappler and grapplee occupy the same space? So there is no ability to move the grapplee. If you move, and the grapplee is grappled (i.e. in your space), you can release and move normally, or maintain and move at half speed (or whatever).

Unoriginal
2019-05-06, 02:34 AM
I’m AFB, but isn’t it the case that grappler and grapplee occupy the same space? So there is no ability to move the grapplee. If you move, and the grapplee is grappled (i.e. in your space), you can release and move normally, or maintain and move at half speed (or whatever).

Pretty sure you still occupy separate spaces. Unless it's a creature like a Smothering Rug doing it.

Klaus Teufel
2019-05-06, 02:34 AM
Hmm. It doesn't say this, but I always read it that once you grappled something, it was in the same square as you. Therefore, since 5e doesn't have facing, anyone else could hit it from any side.

2019-05-06, 03:10 AM
This has come up at our table a lot.

So let's consider an example where you grab a creature, and then want to move them to the other side of you (perhaps so your allies can gather around and beat them up). You remain stationary, but the enemy is moved 10 feet. Does this cost movement? If so, is your movement speed halved for this movement? Is this type of movement even allowed?

My house call [this isn't official in any way outside of our own gaming table] is this:

Staying stationary and dragging the enemy 10 feet around you costs you 20 feet of, uh, "movement".

Keeping the enemy stationary and moving 10 feet around them costs you 10 feet of movement. It's easier.

To me, I didn't feel like I had to give a lot of thought to this; it seemed like the obvious call. Now, some of my "obvious calls" in the past have ended up being wrong as Sage Advice etc ticks in. But it's my job as referee & DM to try to make these calls to the best of my ability.:smalleek:

Greywander
2019-05-06, 03:13 AM
A few different grappling tactics rely on holding the target in a damage zone (such as Spike Growth or Create Bonfire). These would be much less useful if the grappler also had to subject themselves to that damage. It seems a number of people other than myself have already taken for granted that you could move grappled creatures around in ways other than dragging them behind you (such as dragging them beside you, or just repositioning them into a damage zone).

Even the text for lifting and dragging objects doesn't really say anything about moving objects around like this, let alone grappled creatures.

Greywander
2019-05-06, 03:17 AM
Now, some of my "obvious calls" in the past have ended up being wrong as Sage Advice etc ticks in.
Sage Advice can be wrong, too (and often is, depending on who you ask).

Your houserule looks like a good way to handle it. It keeps things running and doesn't unbalance anything or open up loopholes. My only question would be to wonder why it costs just as much movement to move a creature around you (they move, you don't) as it does to drag them behind you (you both move), but it does kind of make sense. The act of moving itself assists with the dragging, so it might not cost extra movement.

R.Shackleford
2019-05-06, 03:28 AM
The rules don't cover it. It implies that they'd rather have you move and drag the creature to reposition them.

If you want to allow that option, you can decide how it goes yourself.

DMG has Shove Aside rules that could work for this... Same with pushing the creature back, tripping, ot anything other than drag behind.

greenstone
2019-05-06, 10:01 PM

That's covered by the Shove and Shove aside rules.

Coffee_Dragon
2019-05-07, 06:20 AM
I would say that under normal circumstances, "drag" means the grapplee moves into the space the grappler vacated. "Dragging" someone sideways or in some kind of orbit would not be effective.

Mjolnirbear
2019-05-08, 02:51 AM
You can move, or you can be moved.

You can't move if your speed is zero, but your movement speed only counts when you, the owner of said move speed, chooses to expend movement or stand up or mount a horse. Which you do on your turn.

If the fire breathing princess grabs the meek delicate dragon and flies away, it's not using the dragons movement,so doesn't matter if the dragon has a move of 0