PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Tiamat manifests in Faerun(Sword coast)

Pinjata
2019-05-06, 05:25 AM
Heyya, guys,

I have a simple question fro you. What would Faerun be like, if Tiamat manifested in it and started taking over? What would such a setting be like?

Wizard_Lizard
2019-05-06, 05:32 AM
apocalyptic

Pinjata
2019-05-06, 05:36 AM
Well ... as far as I could tell, she is just a big bad dragon with lots of charisma. I'd say she'd assemble a nice array of dragon-priests, but this would not be apocalyptic. You'd have entire cities bending to her will, but I think her going would be slow and not nearly as genocidal, as some may think.

Unoriginal
2019-05-06, 05:37 AM
Well, first nearly all the Chromatic Dragons, Kobolds and Lizardfolks would unite under her banner. Then she would battle the various heroes and villains of the Realms, probably slaughtering most of them but being kept at bay for a while.

Biggest question is: what does she want? Logically, she would gain much more going to the planes and forging a new domain in, say, Gehena, now that she's free from Avernus.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-05-06, 05:38 AM
Tiamat would probably assemble an army of evil dragonborn and kobolds.

Unoriginal
2019-05-06, 05:40 AM
Well ... as far as I could tell, she is just a big bad dragon with lots of charisma. I'd say she'd assemble a nice array of dragon-priests, but this would not be apocalyptic. You'd have entire cities bending to her will, but I think her going would be slow and not nearly as genocidal, as some may think.

She's not a big bad dragon. She is THE Big Bad Dragon.

She might have no interest in genocide, but wanton destruction, hedonistic mayhem and large-scale pillaging would definitively be on her menu if she stays.

Unoriginal
2019-05-06, 05:42 AM
Tiamat would probably assemble an army of evil dragonborn and kobolds.

Faerun's Dragonborns are mostly anti-dragon. They're descendants from dragons' slaves.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-05-06, 05:46 AM
Faerun's Dragonborns are mostly anti-dragon. They're descendants from dragons' slaves.

Oh, thanks, I didn't know that : )

Pinjata
2019-05-06, 05:50 AM
Well, first nearly all the Chromatic Dragons, Kobolds and Lizardfolks would unite under her banner. Then she would battle the various heroes and villains of the Realms, probably slaughtering most of them but being kept at bay for a while.

Biggest question is: what does she want? Logically, she would gain much more going to the planes and forging a new domain in, say, Gehena, now that she's free from Avernus.

This is an EXCCELENT point. But how difficult is for her to travel to Gehena? With 5e, I'd guess she'd have to find a proper portal and het through. Also, why would she prefer antoher plane ofer Faerun? She can accumulate gold here all day, all millenia. I'd say her goal is infinite accumulation of wealth.

Unoriginal
2019-05-06, 06:06 AM
This is an EXCCELENT point. But how difficult is for her to travel to Gehena? With 5e, I'd guess she'd have to find a proper portal and het through. Also, why would she prefer antoher plane ofer Faerun? She can accumulate gold here all day, all millenia. I'd say her goal is infinite accumulation of wealth.

Faerun is a tiny speck of dust in a Crystal Sphere in the Material Plane.

Planes are more or less infinite and filled with Fiends she can subjugate.

The money she can get from Faerun is vastly inferior to what she can get from becoming ruler of her own Planar Domain.

Also, acquiring another planar Domain would prevent her from going back to Avernus if she's killed. Which is important to her.

As for going to the plane, Tiamat is a goddess. She can easily empower one of her priest to Gate her there.

Can't just do it herself, though, or else Ao will triple German Suplex her into oblivion. I think, at least. Ao made clear gods weren't to use their divine might directly and in person in the FR.

Interesting point of trivia: according to the 5e writers, one of the most noticeable traits of Tiamat is her ego/vainglory. She doesn't get why anyone wouldn't want her as their goddess and queen.

Pinjata
2019-05-06, 07:18 AM
Splendid analysis, @Unoriginal.

Pinjata
2019-05-06, 07:31 AM
One more question, maybe.

- Finish Rise of Tiamat
- Tiamat is banished
>Suddenly, there is Smaug-tier hoard there, surrounded by a bunch of wannabe paladins, druids, assassins, Harper meddlers, metallic dragons, devils, giants, good and evil wizards, evil mercenaries, cultists ...

How would you pull off post-Well-of-dragons session?

JackPhoenix
2019-05-06, 08:51 AM
Elminster or one of other Greenwood's self inserts would kick her scaly ass back to where she crawled from in a trilogy of novels that would be made canon in the next edition's fluff.

Kurt Kurageous
2019-05-06, 09:28 AM
Elminster or one of other Greenwood's self inserts would kick her scaly ass back to where she crawled from in a trilogy of novels that would be made canon in the next edition's fluff.

JP likely has the best answer.

But if the Op had phrased it, "If you were DMing for everybody..."

Tiamat calls forth all chromatic dragons to her court so they may grovel/register with her and offer gifts if they are so inclined. Civil war among the dragons, their followers, and the pathetic cult of the dragon breaks out. Anything caught between the sides of this Pro-T and AnT war probably gets ruined. Eventually all the chrome dragons wise up, betray T, win, banish her, and fight among themselves to divide the treasure. Adventurers could be called in to attack, defend, contain, negotiate, or whatever. Smart players invest in building supply manufacturers.

Net winner, metalic dragons. You see, it was Bahamut who started the whole "cult of the dragon raise Tiamat thing when he appeared as a wise old man to whatshisface (AFB) who had the new vision for the Cult.

Great Dragon
2019-05-06, 09:52 AM

- Finish Rise of Tiamat
- Tiamat is banished
>Suddenly, there is Smaug-tier hoard there, surrounded by a bunch of wannabe paladins, druids, assassins, Harper meddlers, metallic dragons, devils, giants, good and evil wizards, evil mercenaries, cultists ...

Um... Plan a Faerun version of The Battle of (5) Armies, with more skullduggery and shinagines. PCs are the PoV and have some effect on what happens to whom.

The main question being: who can either both get to and defend the Horde; OR how much each Faction can carry off?

Great Dragon
2019-05-06, 09:55 AM

- Finish Rise of Tiamat
- Tiamat is banished

Um... Plan a Faerun version of The Battle of (5) Armies, with more skullduggery and shinagines. PCs are the PoV and have some effect on what happens to whom.

The main question being: who can either both get to - and defend - the Horde; OR how much can each Faction carry off?

Great Dragon
2019-05-06, 09:58 AM

- Finish Rise of Tiamat
- Tiamat is banished

The main question being: who can either both get to - and defend - the Horde; OR how much can each Faction carry off?

As far as Elminster (etc) getting involved, perhaps they need to directly deal with Zas Tam and company to prevent Thay from getting the super wealth of the Horde.