WIS 12 (+1)
CHA 17(+3)

Damage Vulnerabilities Radiant, Fire
Damage Immunities cold, necrotic, poison
Senses darkvision 60 ft.
Skills Persuasion +3, Insight +1, Stealth +4
Languages any languages it´s owner knows
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Damage Resistances acid, thunder, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained
Ethereal Sight. The Spook can see 60 ft. into the Ethereal Plane when it is on the Material Plane, and vice versa.
Incorporeal Movement. The Spook can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. It takes 5 (1d10) force damage if it ends its turn inside an object.
Variant: Familiar. The spook can serve another creature as a familiar, forming a telepathic bond with its willing master. While the two are bonded, the master can sense what the spook's senses as long as they are within 1 mile of each other. While the spook is within 10 feet of its master, the master shares the spook's Ethereal Sight trait. At any time and for any reason, the spook can end its service as a familiar, ending the telepathic bond.

Actions
Withering Touch. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4 + 1) necrotic damage.
Etherealness. The Spook enters the Ethereal Plane from the Material Plane, or vice versa. It is visible on the Material Plane while it is in the Border Ethereal, and vice versa, yet it can’t affect or be affected by anything on the other plane.
Horrifying Visage. Each non-undead creature within 30 ft. of the Spook (of its choice) that can see it must succeed on a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 1 minute. A frightened target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the frightened condition on itself on a success. If a target’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the target is immune to this Spook’s Horrifying Visage for the next 24 hours.

This seem reasonable? Little weaker in combat but has a bit more scouting potential. Would the telepathy work between Ethereal Plane and the Material Plane?

Unfamiliar Familiars (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?580839-Unfamiliar-Familiars)- Quick plug of my other unFamiliar works

Great Dragon
2019-05-10, 07:41 AM
I like this.

Makes an appropriate and awesome Undying Patron Chainlock Familiar.
I'd suggest either one (or two) less Resistances and (at least one) Vulnerability:

First, give it Vulnerablity to Radiant damage. Fits with the 5e Undead theme.

Next, talking a little from LotR: spirits are hurt by Fire, and intelligent ones are afraid of it. Making the Spook Vulnerable to Fire could really show this. But two Vulnerabilities might be a bit much, so maybe just Normal damage?
Allowing telepathic communication across dimensions is tricky. Allowing this is very abusable, especially when combined with Voice of the Chain Master

Now the Chainlocks have an ability to spy from any distance, and remain nearly undetectable.

But, allow that Telepathy (in the border etherial) if you put in that the Spook gives off a dim glow while in dim light and non-magical darkness?

sleepyhead
2019-05-10, 10:56 AM
I like this.
Most praise I ever got for a homebrewed familiar! thanks :D

I'd suggest either one (or two) less Resistances
Figure that removing fire and lighting seems reasonable if we don't want them scared of fire

and (at least one) Vulnerability:

First, give it Vulnerablity to Radiant damage. Fits with the 5e Undead theme.
Seems reasonable and I'll put in that fire as well

But two Vulnerabilities might be a bit much, so maybe just Normal damage?
What do you mean normal damage? Like swords?

Allowing telepathic communication across dimensions is tricky. Allowing this is very abusable, especially when combined with Voice of the Chain Master
Now the Chainlocks have an ability to spy from any distance, and remain nearly undetectable.

But, allow that Telepathy (in the border etherial) if you put in that the Spook gives off a dim glow while in dim light and non-magical darkness?
Might just not allow you to see through the Spooks eyes/thoughts while it's in the ethereal plane. Guess you could just cast invisibility on it sense it can go through walls.

Great Dragon
2019-05-10, 07:54 PM
Most praise I ever got for a homebrewed familiar! thanks :D
Your welcome.

Figure that removing fire and lighting seems reasonable if we don't want them scared of fire

Seems reasonable and I'll put in that fire as well
See below.

What do you mean normal damage? Like swords?
No, normal damage from Fire.
Neither Resistant or Vulnerabile.

But, you were thinking Vulnerabile to both Fire and Radiant?
(You had Resistant to non-magical physical damage)

Might just not allow you to see through the Spooks eyes/thoughts while it's in the ethereal plane.

Ah, Voice can only "see/speak" when Spook is on material plane. Good.

But, master still knows location of the Spook, and can have it Shift as desired.

I'd also add that the Spook shifting between Material and Ethereal planes is an Action.

Guess you could just cast invisibility on it sense it can go through walls.

Well, I was picturing a faintly glowing tiny “Casper” whenever the Spook was not in bright light (where it is see-through instead) to live up to the name “Spook”. To be funny, when the master casts Invisibility on the Spook, any living creature within 10 feet of the Spook makes a Wis Save (DC 13) or “feels cold”. (Mostly harmless)