PDA

View Full Version : Vestige metamagic and quicken spell

Kaleph
2019-05-06, 01:25 PM
Can you use the vestige metamagic feature of the anima mage to fuel the quicken spell feat?

The first time I've read it, it looked like a legitimate use of the class ability, but then I've noticed that you need a swift action to activate it, and, as far as I've understood, a quickened spell counts also as a quickened action in the same round.

So, am I missing something or it simply doesn't work?

Psyren
2019-05-06, 02:11 PM
Normally you wouldn't be able to use this on Quicken since you only get one swift. However, there is a trick you can do to make this work by RAW. Because you can ready a swift action (RC 110), this lets you trade your standard action in to get a second swift action that round - one being the normal one you get on your turn, and one after your turn ends (but before the round is over). Use the first one on Vestige Metamagic (Quicken), then use your standard to ready a swift, which you'll spend on the now-quickened-for-free spell. Because this all happens in the same round, you satisfy the condition for VMM.

Kaleph
2019-05-06, 03:30 PM
Normally you wouldn't be able to use this on Quicken since you only get one swift. However, there is a trick you can do to make this work by RAW. Because you can ready a swift action (RC 110), this lets you trade your standard action in to get a second swift action that round - one being the normal one you get on your turn, and one after your turn ends (but before the round is over). Use the first one on Vestige Metamagic (Quicken), then use your standard to ready a swift, which you'll spend on the now-quickened-for-free spell. Because this all happens in the same round, you satisfy the condition for VMM.

I can follow, but then you would lose the advantage of quicken spell. So, technically yes (or at least maybe), but unfortunately you still spend a standard action to cast the spell.

tyckspoon
2019-05-06, 03:51 PM
I can follow, but then you would lose the advantage of quicken spell. So, technically yes (or at least maybe), but unfortunately you still spend a standard action to cast the spell.

There's one narrow application where that would still be useful - spells with a '1 round' casting time. Quickening them into a Readied Swift would still shorten the casting time compared to normally and potentially allow some useful functions by casting if off-turn/as an interrupt with a readied trigger. I'm thinking the Summon Monster/Summon Nature's Ally kind of spells as the most prominent, here; you could drop a squad of summons in response to an ally moving into a potential flank, drop charge-blockers across an enemy's line of attack, surround a caster with a surprise batch of disposable minions so they no longer have a safe place to cast from.. anything where you might want to say 'You triggered my trap card, and now a bunch of celestial hippogriffs want to eat your face.'

Psyren
2019-05-06, 07:01 PM

As mentioned, this works on full-round spells too, meaning you'd have a net gain of a move action. Also, quickened spells don't provoke, which lets you cast a spell in some otherwise tricky situations.

Kaleph
2019-05-07, 08:18 AM
Understood, thank you