PDA

View Full Version : Would this work? Faerie dragon green star adept

Particle_Man
2019-05-06, 01:48 PM
Could a faerie dragon get all 10 levels of green star adept pre-epic? If so do they get any bonus hp at the last level? Does their spellcasting progress? Can they still fly and use their breath weapon?

I suspect it is suboptimal but is it rules legal?

Rijan_Sai
2019-05-06, 03:52 PM
Could a faerie dragon get all 10 levels of green star adept pre-epic? If so do they get any bonus hp at the last level? Does their spellcasting progress? Can they still fly and use their breath weapon?

I suspect it is suboptimal but is it rules legal?

So, I checked and it doesn't seem like there is (much of) anything preventing it!

1) A faerie dragon has 8 HD, (though if this is for a PC you would have to add the +2 LA,) so no problem there (see *Below*);

2) FD is small, so you would get the bonus HP as listed;

3) They don't really have any spellcasting ability to begin with, so there is nothing to advance;

4) Nothing in either the Greenstar Adept PrC, or the general construct type prohibit these, so yes, it would keep both flight (at full speed) and the breath weapon!

*Below*
The biggest problem is going to be qualifying for the class in the first place! They need ranks in four different Knowledge skills, as well as Decipher Script and the Combat Casting feat... for a PC, a permissible DM might allow them to re-select the skills and feats from what is listed (keeping in mind that any skill not listed would be cross-class...) Also, most likely allowing for a different stat array...(maybe?)
In the same way, a DM building this as an encounter is free to rearrange the skills as desired.

So, while it would need some adjusting* to have the skills/feat needed to get into the class, once that's done it is entirely rules legal and may even offer some benefits!

*On the other hand, if you're looking at just the off-the-page faerie dragon, 2 levels of either Bard or Factotum would give just enough skill points (and have everything you need as class skills) to get in at 11, thus allowing you to complete it at 20! (There may be other classes with 6+Int skill points that have all 5 skills in class... I didn't look that hard.)
For a PC it would require LA Buy-off rules, but that would still be doable!
(Yeah... I realized this last part after I had typed out all the rest...)

Thurbane
2019-05-06, 05:51 PM
For the skills reqs of GSA (Decipher Script 2 ranks , Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks , Knowledge (architecture and engineering) 2 ranks , Knowledge (geography) 2 ranks , Knowledge (history) 2 ranks); the Faerie Dragon has 8 RHD, meaning it's class skill max ranks are 11, and cross class of 5 (.5).

This means everything except Knowledge (arcana) can be purchased as cross-class ranks.

For Knowledge (arcana), there are several options here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?491181) for getting it as a class skills, including the Education or Knowledge Devotion feats.

Mr Adventurer
2019-05-07, 02:16 AM
I guess Faerie Dragons aren't True Dragons? If they were, all Knowledge skills would be class skill for their racial hit dice.

Rijan_Sai
2019-05-07, 01:02 PM
I guess Faerie Dragons aren't True Dragons? If they were, all Knowledge skills would be class skill for their racial hit dice.

Actually, according to Races of the Dragon, they are not... unless there is an update after that I am not aware of, (a very big possibility...)

RotD states:

HALF-DRAGONS BEYOND THE MONSTER MANUAL
The half-dragon template presents special attacks and special qualities for half-dragon versions of the ten varieties of true dragons described in the Monster Manual. The information here expands that list to include all true dragons published in DUNGEONS & DRAGONS products to date. It supersedes any other previously published information on this topic (such as from Draconomicon).
Bolded for emphasis
The list of true dragons does not include faerie dragons...
Unless I am mistaken, (again, very possible,) I believe that means they would have to default to the general monster rule that:

Skills
This line gives the creature’s skills, along with each skill’s modifier (including adjustments for ability scores, armor check penalties, and any bonuses from feats or racial traits). All listed skills are class skills, unless the creature has a character class (noted in the entry). A creature’s type and Intelligence score determine the number of skill points it has.
This means that even if they took 2 more Dragon HD, (6+int skill points,) they would still only be able to buy the ranks needed at cross-class cost, and thus would need to take levels in a class that add all 5 as class skills...