PDA

View Full Version : What type of item would a "Speak with Dead" magic item be?

Klaus Teufel
2019-05-06, 09:15 PM
Is there any pattern to what type of spell is contained in which item? If so, what would a "Speak with Dead" item be?
Also ideas towards flavour, and how big a difference would "at will" vs "x times per day" be? Would "once a day" be Uncommon, for example?

Kane0
2019-05-06, 09:21 PM
Once per day sounds appropriate for uncommon, yes. At will would take it up to rare, maybe more depending on how much use you expect it to get.

No real pattern as to what items hold what spells, i'd personally choose something thematic like an enchanted jawbone or gold tooth.

PastorofMuppets
2019-05-06, 09:34 PM
I would make it a mask. You lay it on the face of deceased that you plan to speak with and say the command words to awaken the spirit.

Laserlight
2019-05-06, 09:44 PM
I'd make it a brazier, and the ghost speaks from the smoke rising from the coals. Might make it a ritual item.

Unoriginal
2019-05-07, 02:27 AM
Two coins to place on the dead person's eyes.

Klaus Teufel
2019-05-07, 02:37 AM
Two coins to place on the dead person's eyes.Ooh, I like this one!

diplomancer
2019-05-07, 02:53 AM
An ouija board, naturally ;)

Wizard_Lizard
2019-05-07, 04:24 AM
The obvious answer is a dial phone.
Ring Ring
"Hello, this is the arcadia afterlife reception, who would you like to be put through to?"

Spore
2019-05-07, 05:09 AM
Going very stereotypical but a skull medaillon that pulls a part of the soul of the deceased back for a short interrogation? Obvs. you don't wear it yourself but put it around the corpse.

But I don't really like "single use niche items" because combat focussed characters (and their players) will always try to trade it for something helpful in battle so maybe give it a bonus for combat too? Like 1/day Protection from Evil and Good (Undead) use too.

(Similarly I don't like weapons/armor that lack an out of combat trait like fur armor protecting you from the cold, a plate armor giving advantage on social rolls or a weapon that protects its wearer from heat)

Wraith
2019-05-07, 05:29 AM
Is there any pattern to what type of spell is contained in which item? If so, what would a "Speak with Dead" item be?

Would it be in poor taste if I were to suggest a ventriloquist's dummy? :smalltongue:

Coffee_Dragon
2019-05-07, 06:32 AM
A live parrot. It tends to exchange random nouns in the dead person's utterances with "cracker".

nickl_2000
2019-05-07, 06:49 AM
A death mask or death shroud would be appropriate as well.

Arkhios
2019-05-07, 07:06 AM
Wrought-iron tongs. Ominously rusted at the jaws.

...you know, the classic torture method to make one more talkative *devilish grin*

No brains
2019-05-07, 08:03 AM
Two coins to place on the dead person's eyes.

Ooh, I like this one!

Isn't the act of putting coins on eyes reserved for sending a soul away? Sure it could be a return fare, but if you want to play with the idea of a return fare/ payment dispute, the item could be a strip of paper that looks like a cross between a Japanese talisman and a sales receipt.

Another item could be a cross between a defibrillator and a telephone. You shock the corpse's chest and then answer the paddle phone.

On the function of the item, Speak With Dead has its own built-in limitations. While limiting the spell to 1/day would limit the number of corpses one could interrogate, opportunity costs for magic items, narrative availability of corpses, the time required to cast and question all corpses, and the spell's implication that the dead's replies can be obtuse already balance that out. Though limiting the item to 3/day keeps players from telemarketing to the dead all session.

Also consider theme/ importance of the item. A 1/day item says, "Don't worry about preparing this spell". An at-will item says, "This is an important tool that can change the way PCs approach a problem".

Vogie
2019-05-07, 08:15 AM
If you like a Torchwood reference, it'd be a gauntlet

If it's an item from the Raven Queen, Morrigan or similar quasi-deity, it may be a onyx raven statue, or raven-head pommel on a cane or dagger, or a book that answers the question in its pages.

If it's an item from Hades, or another God of the dead, it could be coins, an oar, a bow, or a scythe/sickle

If it's a gravedigger- or grave robber-style item, it'd be a shovel with the blade that is shaped like a theatre mask which is placed over the face of the corpse, or a veil made from coffin lining.

Sigreid
2019-05-07, 08:17 AM
A mummified tongue.

Klaus Teufel
2019-05-07, 09:32 AM
My character is a necromancer school wizard. Perhaps something related to Wee Jas's symbolism would work?

Asmotherion
2019-05-07, 09:40 AM
Best incarnation of this i've seen was in a PF horror campain were we got a Ouija board.

Mercurias
2019-05-07, 09:48 AM
I would make it a silver bell. Ring it next to the ear of the deceased once per day to rouse it and communicate as the Speak to the Dead spell.

trollballz
2019-05-07, 10:05 AM
How about some dentures that you have to wind up and put in the corpses mouth.

RedMage125
2019-05-07, 10:24 AM
My character is a necromancer school wizard. Perhaps something related to Wee Jas's symbolism would work?

Wee Jas is not only a goddess of death and magic, but a lesser part of her portfolio is beauty/vanity.

A beautiful mask would be appropriate. If we're going really fancy, it would be made of ruby, or encrusted with them.

Brookshw
2019-05-07, 10:29 AM
A tiny gramaphone might be fun/creepy, the ghostly voice comes out of it sounding tinny.

Sigreid
2019-05-07, 10:42 AM
A tiny gramaphone might be fun/creepy, the ghostly voice comes out of it sounding tinny.

Similarly, a music box that has their distant, ghostly voice sing the answers as the crank is turned.

xroads
2019-05-07, 10:47 AM
What about a magical censer or a thurible?

Bonus points if the thurible can be attached to a flail chain and grant the user a +1 bonus to attack & damage rolls. :smallbiggrin:

Tiadoppler
2019-05-07, 11:21 AM
Two cups connected by a string. You hold one cup up to the corpse's mouth, and the other up to your ear. (a kid's toy telephone)

A quill or pen that can be placed in the corpse's hand, allowing it to write.

A potion of false healing. You pour it down their throat and they can talk for a few minutes, but they believe that they're alive and are going to be okay.

saucerhead
2019-05-07, 12:13 PM
I would make it a silver bell. Ring it next to the ear of the deceased once per day to rouse it and communicate as the Speak to the Dead spell.

I like this one. It's a kind of like a reverse toll the dead. Bonus points if it is a little counter top style bell that you ring with your palm.

nickl_2000
2019-05-07, 12:48 PM
I like this one. It's a kind of like a reverse toll the dead. Bonus points if it is a little counter top style bell that you ring with your palm.

Bonus points if the magical item is named Dyrim

Kurt Kurageous
2019-05-07, 01:09 PM
What? NOBODY said a bellows to inflate their lungs???

Princess Bride - Miracle Max gets Wesley to say "true love" from beyond the grave.

xroads
2019-05-07, 01:31 PM
What? NOBODY said a bellows to inflate their lungs???

Princess Bride - Miracle Max gets Wesley to say "true love" from beyond the grave.

Good one.

It's been awhile since I've seen that movie. I need to see that again. :smallbiggrin: