PDA

View Full Version : Rules on summoning

creepyeye
2019-05-06, 09:37 PM
Was wondering how summoning works. Does my dm actually pick the monsters I summon or do I do that? I know I can choose the CR though but what about the nature of my summons is what I’m talking about. For example I wanted to summon 8 steam mephits but instead my dm told me I’m getting mud mephits instead, is that right?

PhantomSoul
2019-05-06, 10:26 PM
Check with your DM since it varies by table, but officially:

When you cast a spell like conjure woodland beings,
does the spellcaster or the DM choose the creatures that
are conjured? A number of spells in the game let you summon creatures. Conjure animals, conjure celestial, conjure
minor elementals, and conjure woodland beings are just a
few examples.
Some spells of this sort specify that the spellcaster
chooses the creature conjured. For example, find familiar
gives the caster a list of animals to choose from.
Other spells of this sort let the spellcaster choose from
among several broad options. For example, conjure minor
elementals offers four options. Here are the first two:
• One elemental of challenge rating 2 or lower
• Two elementals of challenge rating 1 or lower
The design intent for options like these is that the spellcaster chooses one of them, and then the DM decides what
creatures appear that fit the chosen option. For example,
if you pick the second option, the DM chooses the two elementals that have a challenge rating of 1 or lower.
A spellcaster can certainly express a preference for what
creatures shows up, but it’s up to the DM to determine if
they do. The DM will often choose creatures that are appropriate for the campaign and that will be fun to introduce
in a scene.

(https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/SA-Compendium.pdf)

MaxWilson
2019-05-06, 10:32 PM
Was wondering how summoning works. Does my dm actually pick the monsters I summon or do I do that? I know I can choose the CR though but what about the nature of my summons is what I’m talking about. For example I wanted to summon 8 steam mephits but instead my dm told me I’m getting mud mephits instead, is that right?

The DM chooses, but that just means "ask your DM how he chooses." It's pretty common for DMs to basically not care and let you summon anything that you happen to have the stats written out for already. Other DMs use random tables.

sithlordnergal
2019-05-06, 11:52 PM
Technically, you don't even get to choose the CR on a lot of summon spells. For example, with Conjure Animals, you can ask for "One CR 2 or lower beast", the DM can absolutely give you a single CR 0 beast. Its a **** move, and I'd never play with a DM that does that, but technically the player has little to no input outside of how many they get.

Darkstar952
2019-05-07, 04:15 AM
As others have said its entirely the DM's call, though most I have played with (and how I DM) have been pretty permissive as long as you weren't trying anything like the pixie polymorph cheese.

Some exceptions may come where I feel a particular creature is more fitting for the situation/environment and I will strongly suggest the player take that option but won't rule out them sticking with their original request.