PDA

View Full Version : Most fun magic items for Monk?

ToastyTobasco
2019-05-06, 10:35 PM
So we just finished Dragon Heist and got a handful of nice loot. I am a Kobold Open Hand Monk with 18 dex and 14 Wis. I wound up with some bronze dragonscale bracers to up my Ki and to hit as well as a Ring of Protection and a Ring of Warmth. We were informed that we would be earning treasure points to spend on Magic Items through Mad Mage and I am curious what items I can get the most mileage out of.

Current tables of Loot available in the DMG are A,B,C,D,F.

I really like the idea of getting one or two immovable rods for shenanigans, a decanter of endless water and maybe slippers of spider climbing so far for fun items.

As for more combat oriented, regularly getting necklaces of fireballs, a bag of devouring, gauntlets of ogre strength to turn my 6 str into 19 and just powerbomb a guy at lvl 9 and that is all I can think of right now that I think we will have access to for now. I dont really need magic weapons since my fists will go magical in one level and I cant find anything that could up my wisdom at all in the DMG.

DM has really fired an arrow at me so the missile catching gloves would kinda be wasted if the abilities stacked since they arent exactly the same. I really want a variant where I could catch a cantrip or spell and throw it back. (Mostly to throw our Druid's Ice Knives back at his face for hitting me so much with them.

Anyway, any recommendations for items to look forward to or creative uses for the ones I have listed?

Lunali
2019-05-06, 11:10 PM
winged boots, cloak of the manta ray, bag of devouring, Nolzur's marvelous pigments

Yakmala
2019-05-07, 12:33 AM
I have a Tier 3 Long Death Monk I play fairly regularly in AL games. Here are some of my favorites:

Boots of Speed: Combined with a Monk's boosted movement speed and either Step of the Wind or better yet, Mobile, you get in land your blows and get out. You're the ultimate skirmisher.

Ring of Evasion: Once you hit Level 7 and have the Evasion ability, this ring will make you cocky as hell! Fireball? Dragon breath? Meteor storm? No problem! If you miss your Dexterity save, use a charge from the ring and simply say you made the save after all. Zero damage!

Weapon of Warning: You can't be surprised. But more importantly, Advantage on initiative rolls! For extra shenanigans, pick up the Alert feat. Going first + highly mobile + Stunning Strike = BBEG might not even get a chance to act during the encounter (or at worst, is burning through his legendary saves super fast).

CTurbo
2019-05-07, 01:15 AM
Bracers of Defense - gives you +2 AC
Bracers of Striking - unarmed strikes gain +2 damage
Ring of Evasion - awesome as mentioned above

One of the popular magic staffs-

Staff of Power
Staff of Striking
Staff of Defense
Staff of Healing
Staff of Thunder and Lightning
Staff of Swarming Insects

Rara1212
2019-05-07, 02:50 AM
Bracers of Striking - unarmed strikes gain +2 damage
Staff of Healing

I can't find these two items in the DMG, are they from another source or has someone cast Blindness on me?

darknite
2019-05-07, 12:34 PM
I've got a Goblin Monk who wears Winged Boots and a Belt of Giant Strength.

"It's a bird! It's a hippogriff! It's Suuuper Grot!"

th3g0dc0mp13x
2019-05-07, 04:17 PM
I can't find these two items in the DMG, are they from another source or has someone cast Blindness on me?

Staff of healing is DMG PG 202
The bracers appear to be homebrew. The closest thing to them is insignia of claws from hoard of the dragon queen.

CTurbo
2019-05-08, 05:53 AM

Sorry Bracers of Mighty Striking were an older edition magic item. I didn't realize they didn't exist in 5e yet.

Spieldog20
2019-05-08, 04:22 PM
Homebrew some actual monk relevant weapons, like anything that will give a bonus to unarmed strike (I don't see any official items that do) or many even somehow work with/store Ki.

Monks are woefully under-itemized compared to all other classes (even Warlocks get a Rod to up their DC and spell attacks).

Cyan Wisp
2019-05-12, 02:48 PM
Not sure if it's your thing, but boy did I (unexpectedly) enjoy my Gauntlets of Ogre Power! I only took 'em because no one else needed them. Suddenly, grappling became an option- and a versatile one.

I started grappling things and dragging them off into the hallways to beat them up. Big movement meant I could just grab problematic foes from a melee, take them "outside" and stun-smash them, then come back for another. Kind of like a bouncer at a club, I guess.

I used the tactic quite a lot on my own party to get them out of trouble, though I spared them the bashing in the hallway. :smallcool:

TyGuy
2019-05-13, 09:29 AM
Homebrew some actual monk relevant weapons, like anything that will give a bonus to unarmed strike (I don't see any official items that do) or many even somehow work with/store Ki.

Monks are woefully under-itemized compared to all other classes (even Warlocks get a Rod to up their DC and spell attacks).

I thumbed through the DMG looking for items that were extra tailored for monks. I found two. Two.

Bracers of defense
Staff of striking

For an open hand monk I would politely ask for gloves/knuckles of striking and that they can be used with martial arts/flurry attacks.