PDA

View Full Version : Beast Master, Hunter's Mark, Fighting Styles, and starting equipment

Xayah
2019-05-07, 03:54 AM
While I am well aware the Beast Master isn't really... a good archetype... at all... I still really like its concept and flavor, and think I have a decent build for it. Specifically, I'll be running a Wildhunt Shifter with a Wolf as my companion, focusing on melee damage. I have a couple questions about it though.

First off is the question of Hunter's Mark. Obviously, it's THE core Ranger spell, but due to clunky stuff, by RAW, I don't believe my Wolf would proc its bonus damage until Share Spells comes online (and honestly, I don't think it works even then by RAW). So my question is, how do you go about utilizing its damage? In tier 2 and onward you get to attack with your Beast, so at least it does something then, but do you use it at all before then? How?

Second is the matter of Fighting Styles. Now, honestly, I like TWF, but I feel like with the low AC it offers me and the fact I have to be in melee, it doesn't feel right. Archery keeps me out of melee but results in me not abusing the Wolf's Pack Tactics and Prone status, making the synergy questionable at best and downright contradictory at worst. This leaves me at Dueling, which I'd be entirely fine with. Running in with a Rapier and a Shield should work fine with me, if not for one problem: actually obtaining those items. The Ranger's starting equipment doesn't include an option for either of those, and the gold I get at the start would most likely leave me unable to obtain it for a while. So my question is, as a DM, would you allow a Ranger to start with Rapier + Shield instead of the Shortswords? And if not, would you recommend I just stick to TWF/Archery until I can get access to them, picking the Dueling Fighting Style regardless?

diplomancer
2019-05-07, 04:08 AM
You can choose to roll 5d4X10 gold pieces to buy your starting equipment, giving up the equipment from your class and background. That should give you all the money you will need for your character, unless you are very unlucky.

Xayah
2019-05-07, 04:40 AM
You can choose to roll 5d4X10 gold pieces to buy your starting equipment, giving up the equipment from your class and background. That should give you all the money you will need for your character, unless you are very unlucky.
I knew about this, but have never done it, though it would be a solution. Would have to discuss with my DM as well, but that should be fine, thanks.

diplomancer
2019-05-07, 05:22 AM
You are welcome :)

It's always good to talk to your DM, of course, but I believe that this is as much a player choice as is the choice of spells, classes, subclasses, etc. It is not an alternative rule (I would argue it is less of an alternative rule than Dragon-born and Tieflings, for instance).

It is not AL legal, I think, but that is because AL has to be standardized through different tables, and rolling for starting wealth goes against its philosophy.

chando
2019-05-07, 01:40 PM
dont feel locked in hunters mark to do damage. yes its a nice spell especially with lots of attacks, but you haven't lots of attacks or lots of spells fot that matter...
a couple of nice ranger 1st level spells that you might be intersted (about half of them are from Xanatar's gude to everything):

Absorb Elements (wait a couple levels for when you have more slots and elemental damage starts to show up more)
Animal Friendship (get another friend for 24h)
Ensnaring Strike
Beast Bond (from Elemental Evil Players Companion, gives advantage to your companion attacks or other beast you befriend, as long as the enemy is within 5feet of you)
Zephyr Strike (great mobility and bonus action cast too, with some extra damage at least 1/cast)

2nd level brings Healing Spirit, Pass without Trace, Silence, Spike Growth, thats a lot you can do with those alone.

A good feat to have in mind if going melee is sentinel so you can punish people when they attack your companion, Defense is a great Figthing style regardless of your weapon of choice, as +1 AC while 'boring' is always effective, shield or no shield, archery or twf, and you can change depending on your circustance and magic weapons found without feeling bad that you 'took the wrong FS for this'.
The beastmaster has basically an extra bag of HP, that can provide battlefield control, extra Attacks of Opportunity, prone enemies with a save in the case of the wolf. While it have its limitations, its good at being different than other rangers, that more or less attack and do damage, it gives alternative ways to tank. the sentinel and defense FS also help you with that.
remember the beast can have some healing potions or other equips with it (while it can't deliver them, your allies sure can reach in to a bag and help themselfs)

NaughtyTiger
2019-05-07, 02:28 PM
BM is fine. and a lot of fun.

if you weren't wolf pet, i would suggest beast bond, ensnaring strike.
with wolf, advantage is easier to come by: absorb elements, zephyr strike, fog cloud

TWF is a problem!!!
By a strict reading, the BM can't use TWF with beast attack.
Most DMs are okay with a loose read, but be warned.
(You don't take attack action. instead you direct the beast to attack, and may also attack if you have extra attack. Doesn't proc TWF)

if UA is allowed, i really like Mariner fighting style (climb + swim speed)
otherwise, dueling is nice.
AC isn't that big a deal.

gear is easy to come by, so shield and short sword are available after your first fight.

Xayah
2019-05-07, 03:11 PM
dont feel locked in hunters mark to do damage. yes its a nice spell especially with lots of attacks, but you haven't lots of attacks or lots of spells fot that matter...
a couple of nice ranger 1st level spells that you might be intersted (about half of them are from Xanatar's gude to everything):

Absorb Elements (wait a couple levels for when you have more slots and elemental damage starts to show up more)
Animal Friendship (get another friend for 24h)
Ensnaring Strike
Beast Bond (from Elemental Evil Players Companion, gives advantage to your companion attacks or other beast you befriend, as long as the enemy is within 5feet of you)
Zephyr Strike (great mobility and bonus action cast too, with some extra damage at least 1/cast)

2nd level brings Healing Spirit, Pass without Trace, Silence, Spike Growth, thats a lot you can do with those alone.

A good feat to have in mind if going melee is sentinel so you can punish people when they attack your companion, Defense is a great Figthing style regardless of your weapon of choice, as +1 AC while 'boring' is always effective, shield or no shield, archery or twf, and you can change depending on your circustance and magic weapons found without feeling bad that you 'took the wrong FS for this'.
The beastmaster has basically an extra bag of HP, that can provide battlefield control, extra Attacks of Opportunity, prone enemies with a save in the case of the wolf. While it have its limitations, its good at being different than other rangers, that more or less attack and do damage, it gives alternative ways to tank. the sentinel and defense FS also help you with that.
remember the beast can have some healing potions or other equips with it (while it can't deliver them, your allies sure can reach in to a bag and help themselfs)
Thank you for the advice! Zephyr Strike looks especially nice, and Absorb Elements is neat later on. Sentinel is definitely pretty cool too, also allows me to keep people locked down next to me and my Wolf. Beast Bond doesn't look ideal due to Pack Tactics, but thanks regardless!

One question, would you suggest taking Hunter's Mark for the first few levels and then switch it out once I get my Wolf and start attacking with that, switching to something like Goodberry/Absorb Elements? Like, for my first spells (at lvl 2), I'd get something like Hunter's Mark and Zephyr Strike, and then swap out Hunter's Mark to Goodberry and taking Absorb Elements (or Speak With Animals for effective scouting with my Wolf) at lvl 3? On paper it seems like it could work.