PDA

View Full Version : Half-Orc Knowledge Cleric

Sparky McDibben
2019-05-07, 09:47 AM
Hey all,

I'm looking to make a new character in a very small game. There are only two players, so each character has to do more. The other player is an Oath of Ancients Paladin, so she's got healing and tankiness already covered. That leaves magic, skills, and sociability. I'm going for two out of three, assuming that her charisma is going to be good enough for the "face" role most of the time.

Looking for:

Advice on spell progression - if I'm not healing, what should I be using those slots for?
Tactical roles in combat
Multiclassing options (that are not wizard)
RP Hooks or character build inspiration
Any other advice or nonsense y'all want to throw at me

Thanks!

Mercurias
2019-05-07, 10:34 AM
I would keep at least Healing Word on-hand. Even if the Pally is going to primary heal, having something prepared to bail them out is always useful, and minor miracles can always impress NPCs.

Knowledge Clerics tend to be stronger Cantrip casters than melee combatants based on their bonuses, but Cantrips like Toll the Bell and Sacred Flame work off of DC checks and don’t suffer disadvantage in melee. I would personally use Toll the Bell and one other Cantrip for offense in combat, stick next to the Paladin, and use spells like Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians. Keeping enemies close will help the Pally smite, and Spirit Guardians scales very well while lasting a long time.

Warcaster would be a good choice for this character, as would Resilient (Con).

As far as multiclassing goes, You could possibly take a dip into Rogue to get a little more versatility and expertise, but that would affect your spell progression. I’d personally take 3 levels of Coast Druid, which would give you additional combat Cantrips, an extra 1st level spell slot recovered during a short rest, and some really nice spells a Cleric wouldn’t otherwise have access too.

In terms of roleplay, I don’t have much to go on with which to give ideas. For fun, I would suggest the character is from Kara-tur and carries himself like a Japanese Monk, with robes over his armor, a woven straw hat, and a Khakkhara as a symbol of faith. Worshipping the Eight Million Gods could make for any number of Cleric domains, too. She or he could be traveling with the Paladin due to an omen, or maybe to recover a religious artifact that was stolen centuries ago.

Sparky McDibben
2019-05-07, 11:50 AM
Thanks, friend!

saucerhead
2019-05-07, 11:53 AM
I get that you are looking to cover skills and spells, while the pally covers social, healing and tank. I am wondering how you picked to half-orc cleric as a starting point? You obviously aren't interested in wizard class, but rogue and bard have skills and spells. Even ranger and druid do to some extent, but I'm just curious about your choice.

Sparky McDibben
2019-05-07, 12:23 PM
I wanted to play a half-orc! :)

I've played bards and paladins a lot the last few campaigns, so I didn't want to go that route. And I haven't played a cleric for a while, so I wanted to see if I could stretch the concept. I kind of see this individual in a lore-dispenser role in addition to covering skill and tool proficiencies (which is why I didn't want to double-down by multi-classing wizard).

strangebloke
2019-05-07, 12:48 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking to make a new character in a very small game. There are only two players, so each character has to do more. The other player is an Oath of Ancients Paladin, so she's got healing and tankiness already covered. That leaves magic, skills, and sociability. I'm going for two out of three, assuming that her charisma is going to be good enough for the "face" role most of the time.

Looking for:

Advice on spell progression - if I'm not healing, what should I be using those slots for?
Tactical roles in combat
Multiclassing options (that are not wizard)
RP Hooks or character build inspiration
Any other advice or nonsense y'all want to throw at me

Thanks!

spell progression for the first five levels or so is pretty easy. Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians are your gotos. Beyond that, try to have a few pre-pepared lists. One for when you are going to have a combat heavy day, one that's more heavy in combat. Remember that bless isn't so good now and you're better off with shield of faith for a first level concentration spell.
paladin can't deal with crowds. You sorta can, so if there's a lot of enemies, that's your job. Unfortunately neither of you is good at range, so, uh... try not to fight outdoors if you can help it? Beyond that, you're one step behind her most of the time.
don't multiclass, honestly, it isn't worth it. Maybe rogue to get all the expertise? Specifically grab insight and perception for loads of fun.
Half Orc Knowledge cleric. Taken as a baby by a paladin crusading against orcs, raised in a monastery. Very pure and good... but also completely inexperienced. Likes to wax long and often about the evil darkness that we all must fight. Both the darkness in the world and the darkness in ourselves. For the build, make a true all-rounder with lots of 14's. Maybe take prodigy at some point? Overall you should be fine. Clerics are pretty much SAD.
Don't do school and stay in drugs.

saucerhead
2019-05-07, 12:48 PM
It seems you will be behind the pally in combat, splitting your time between keeping the bad guys off of you and keeping your tank upright. Sanctuary or command don't need concentration to keep guys off of you, meaning you can keep a bless going. Alternatively, blindness or hold person will help the pally hit and keep guys from attacking you.

Sounds good. I think playing against type is interesting. I have been playing with the idea of a half-orc EK.

napoleon_in_rag
2019-05-07, 03:11 PM
Sounds good. I think playing against type is interesting. I have been playing with the idea of a half-orc EK.

I have been playing a Half Orc EK for about a year. It's a lot of fun. Generally with an EK, you don't need a super high Int.

He was raised by a gnomish illusionist and considers himself to be a "half-gnome". Lots of fun roleplaying him.