PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 3.5 Winter Wolf Totemist

DragonsAion
2019-05-07, 10:30 AM
So I'm playing a winter wolf totemist in a PBP gestalt game and I'm getting the feeling that I'm not playing him to his best potential. The Winter Wolf is the oslecamo monster class version and I'm thinking of going Scout or Dragonfire Adept after I finish that side of the gestalt then going into the Umbral disciple PRC from Magic of incarnum. I'll be retraining at lest two of his feats out, the ones that give extra HP, but not sure what to replace them with. Any feed back you can give would be helpful.

Link to character sheet (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1170274)

DragonsAion
2019-05-10, 12:20 PM
*bump: 1 of 3*

Glimbur
2019-05-10, 09:02 PM
Is Totem avatar really your best choice? You have a bite attack, but adding 4 claws from girallion arms would make you much punchier. Or get Heart of fire for more damage on that one attack. Or pick up flight or dimension door or a breath weapon. Wormtail belt is a nice AC boost.

Longer term, I would suggest rogue to pair with totemist. Sneak attack with 5 natural weapons is pretty good. Dragonfire adept also takes standard actions to use so it does not pair well with totemist. Scout would be ok except you really want full attacks which are non-trivial to skirmish with.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-05-10, 10:09 PM
Scout would be ok except you really want full attacks which are non-trivial to skirmish with.

Once you get up to 5th level in Totemist (well, 6th level really so you have 2 binds available) you can bind Sphinx Claws to your hands for Pounce. At that point, Scout would be a great idea.

Is Dragon Magazine allowed? If so, Chaos Roc's Span is noteworthy for giving you two natural weapons just for shaping it. Nonlethal 1d4, but still.

EDIT: If you do decide to go Girallon Arms, I'd recommend taking Improved Unarmed Strike to give you a few extra attacks. Unarmed strikes count as natural weapons for soulmelds that boost all natural weapons (like Heart of Fire or Dread Carapace). The Multiattack feat would also probably be a good idea at some point, and the bonus to hit also makes Dread Carapace better.

DragonsAion
2019-05-13, 05:28 PM
Longer term, I would suggest rogue to pair with totemist. Sneak attack with 5 natural weapons is pretty good. Dragonfire adept also takes standard actions to use so it does not pair well with totemist. Scout would be ok except you really want full attacks which are non-trivial to skirmish with.

Rogue seemed so basic, but I see where you are coming from and the monster class will give me a breath weapon next level so there is that.

Is Dragon Magazine allowed?

All official D&D content is allowed. This is my first time with incarnum so I'm not sure how the other soulmelds work with races that already have natural attacks. I know that for the totemist there are ones that grant extra natural attacks, enhance them, or replace them altogether.

I'll look into Girallon Arms.