PDA

View Full Version : Where'd Unearthed Arcana go?

Ganryu
2019-05-07, 12:38 PM
(Coudn't find a thread for this)

I know they said after Artificer they'd be doing unearthed arcana when it was done, but it's been 3 months. Is there any word on what's going on at all? I used to love it because it spices up my game adding things from it, and I can't find any information on it whatsoever. Anyone know more than I do?

Waterdeep Merch
2019-05-07, 12:39 PM
They decided to stop making it a regular, scheduled thing. It's not on hiatus as much as no one will ever know when they do it again.

strangebloke
2019-05-07, 12:40 PM
(Coudn't find a thread for this)

I know they said after Artificer they'd be doing unearthed arcana when it was done, but it's been 3 months. Is there any word on what's going on at all? I used to love it because it spices up my game adding things from it, and I can't find any information on it whatsoever. Anyone know more than I do?

Can't find a thread? You joking?

There's threads like this every week.

Presumably, they'll make something whenever they feel like it and not a moment sooner. "Whenever we feel like it" is their new release schedule.

Misterwhisper
2019-05-07, 12:44 PM

Presumably, they'll make something whenever they feel like it and not a moment sooner. "Whenever we feel like it" is their new release schedule.

Or more accurately:

"This was nothing but the junk Mike Mearls made that we threw out every once in a while. However, he is not working anymore and nobody else cares enough, so it will be a while."

Ganryu
2019-05-07, 01:28 PM

I'm not, searched it, their was a total of one similiar one like a month ago.

A guy could hope though. But, yeah, seems like Unearthed Arcana was mostly one guy who's kinda hushed right now (contracts are great), but I was hoping there'd be any say on it. Oh well, guess I'll miss Unearthed Arcana.

Imbalance
2019-05-07, 01:33 PM
All the arcana has been re-earthed. Sorry. Do try the new Dehydrated Contemporaries, however.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-07, 01:44 PM
Or more accurately:

"This was nothing but the junk Mike Mearls made that we threw out every once in a while. However, he is not working anymore and nobody else cares enough, so it will be a while."

Which is really quite sad. They could have gotten a lot of popularity by hosting contests of admissions rather than one guy outputting a lot of stuff. Then just doctor up the contest winner and release it as a full-fledged UA at the same time you start the next contest. Do it exactly how we do our homebrew contests.

The only thing they'd have to do is include an agreement that you forfeit any rights to anything you post as part of the contest so that they can potentially sell it on a book later. People would still make tons of submissions, if just for ego and self-satisfaction.

Misterwhisper
2019-05-07, 02:19 PM
Which is really quite sad. They could have gotten a lot of popularity by hosting contests of admissions rather than one guy outputting a lot of stuff. Then just doctor up the contest winner and release it as a full-fledged UA at the same time you start the next contest. Do it exactly how we do our homebrew contests.

The only thing they'd have to do is include an agreement that you forfeit any rights to anything you post as part of the contest so that they can potentially sell it on a book later. People would still make tons of submissions, if just for ego and self-satisfaction.

Paizo used to have a contest for that every year.

I came in second twice.

jaappleton
2019-05-07, 03:32 PM
Just so EVERYONE is aware:

It is now May.

There’s been ONE article of Unearthed Arcana in 2019.

strangebloke
2019-05-07, 03:50 PM
I'm not, searched it, their was a total of one similiar one like a month ago.

A guy could hope though. But, yeah, seems like Unearthed Arcana was mostly one guy who's kinda hushed right now (contracts are great), but I was hoping there'd be any say on it. Oh well, guess I'll miss Unearthed Arcana.

Just so EVERYONE is aware:

It is now May.

There’s been ONE article of Unearthed Arcana in 2019.

This was my point: there's been almost no UA's for a year now, and yet somehow we have these threads every single month.

Its like, we haven't had monthly UA since, what, 2017? Why do people still make these threads?

jaappleton
2019-05-07, 04:21 PM
This was my point: there's been almost no UA's for a year now, and yet somehow we have these threads every single month.

Its like, we haven't had monthly UA since, what, 2017? Why do people still make these threads?

The weekly UAs were an abnormality: Those we’re in prep for XGtE.

Beyond that, they were monthly. And to say there’s been none in a full year is simply incorrect. December gave us Sidekicks, and before that we had Order Domain and Inventor Wizard, as well as Spores Druid.

Now, moving on:

Jeremy Crawford just told me that they’re finishing up Ghosts of Saltmarsh, and prepping for the Descent event next week.

But the next UA IS, in fact, on the horizon.

My summation? MAYBE the end of May, but likely June.

strangebloke
2019-05-07, 10:40 PM
The weekly UAs were an abnormality: Those we’re in prep for XGtE.

Beyond that, they were monthly. And to say there’s been none in a full year is simply incorrect. December gave us Sidekicks, and before that we had Order Domain and Inventor Wizard, as well as Spores Druid.

Now, moving on:

Jeremy Crawford just told me that they’re finishing up Ghosts of Saltmarsh, and prepping for the Descent event next week.

But the next UA IS, in fact, on the horizon.

My summation? MAYBE the end of May, but likely June.

But that's still less than 1 ua for every three months.

I don't want to sound ungrateful. I'm really really not. I'm just a little perplexed by how everyone seems shocked when no UA's shows up in a given month.