PDA

View Full Version : [RACE] Races of Adolokha (PEACH)

The VP
2007-10-04, 02:40 AM
I'm currently working on a homebrewed world set (Adholoka) whose pantheon consists of a triumvirate of goddesses: Sky, Sea, and Earth. The following three races are the setting's version of planetouched; they're the result of ancestral heritage tying someone to one of the three goddesses, most commonly through an elemental ancestor.

I'm most interested in your opinions as to whether or not they'll work with a +0 LA, and whether they're balanced against each other. They don't necessarily have to be balanced against any of the core races other than humans, as the setting uses humans and six homebrewed races (I'll post the other three once I've finished them).

DIVIJA (SKY-BORN) RACIAL TRAITS
• +2 Strength, -2 Constitution. Divija have powerful muscles but a lighter build than standard humans.
• Divija base land speed is 30 feet.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, Divija have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Wing-Aided Movement: Divija can use their wings to help with movement even if they can’t fly yet. The extra lift from her wings gives a Divija a +10 racial bonus on Jump checks.
• Gliding (Ex): A Divija can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Divija glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if a Divija’s maneuverability improves, she can’t hover while gliding. A Divija can’t glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a Divija becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The Divija descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
• Flight (Ex): When a Divija reaches 5 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). A Divija can’t fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Divija can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they’re fatigued at the end of the flight. Divija are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because Divija can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued).
When they reach 10 Hit Dice, Divija have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 40 feet (good maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A Divija with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the Divija must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A Divija can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A Divija with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.
• Auran Ancestry: Because of her ancestral ties to Sky, Divijan spellcasters cast spells with the air descriptor at +1 caster level.
• Human Blood: For all effects related to race, a Divija is considered a human. Divija are just as vulnerable to special effects that affect humans as humans are, and they can use magic items that are only usable by humans.
• Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Auran.

ARNAVAJA (SEA-BORN) RACIAL TRAITS
• +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength. A Arnavaja’s slim build allows an increased ease of movement at the cost of physical power.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, Arnavaja have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Aquatic: Arnavaja are aquatic humanoids, and have the aquatic and human subtypes.
• Amphibious (Ex): Arnavaja can breathe water or air equally well, without limitation.
• Arnavaja base land speed is 30 feet. Arnavaja base swim speed is 30 feet. Arnavaja have a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. They can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. Arnavaja can use the run action while swimming, provided they swim
in a straight line.
• Aquan Ancestry: Because of her ancestral ties to Sea, Arnavajan spellcasters cast spells with the water descriptor at +1 caster level.
• Human Blood: For all effects related to race, an Arnavaja is considered a human. Arnavaja are just as vulnerable to special effects that affect humans as humans are, and they can use magic items that are only usable by humans.
• Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Aquan.

DHARANIJA (EARTH-BORN) RACIAL TRAITS
• +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity. A Dharanija’s stocky build makes her tougher than her human brethren, but not as nimble.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, Dharanija have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Dharanija base land speed is 30 feet.
• +1 Natural Armor: A Dharanija’s earthen heritage gives her a tougher skin.
• Terran Ancestry: Because of her ancestral ties to Earth, Dharanijan spellcasters cast spells with the earth descriptor at +1 caster level.
• Human Blood: For all effects related to race, a Dharanija is considered a human. Dharanija are just as vulnerable to special effects that affect humans as humans are, and they can use magic items that are only usable by humans.
• Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Terran.

JackMage666
2007-10-04, 10:25 AM
Against each other, they're all fairly balanced, though Dharanija are a bit weak considering they don't really gain much at all. They get -2 Dex (which gives -1 AC, -1 to hit with Ranged, -1 Initiative, -1 several skills), for +2 Str (+1 to hit in melee, +1 Damage, +1 to a few skills), and +1 Natural Armor (Cancelling out the lower AC from Dex). I'd give them some things to boost them up a bit in comparison to the others - Darkvision for one, and possibly a very short ranged Blindsense (10-15 ft).

Against all other races, the Arnavaja *can* be very good, but not always - In an aquatic campaign, it's most definately +1 or +2 LA, due to it's versatility, but in a standard campain where water doesn't come up, it loses most of it's power.

The Divija are just Raptorians. I'm guessing you took the stats straight from them. The only suggestion I can give is don't give flight manueverability better than Average, since Good+ seems to be where the problems lie. With Average maueverability, they either need to pick up some feats, or take a move action every round, if I remember correctly anyway.

The VP
2007-10-04, 11:20 AM
Against each other, they're all fairly balanced, though Dharanija are a bit weak considering they don't really gain much at all. They get -2 Dex (which gives -1 AC, -1 to hit with Ranged, -1 Initiative, -1 several skills), for +2 Str (+1 to hit in melee, +1 Damage, +1 to a few skills), and +1 Natural Armor (Cancelling out the lower AC from Dex). I'd give them some things to boost them up a bit in comparison to the others - Darkvision for one, and possibly a very short ranged Blindsense (10-15 ft).

Thanks, Jack. I never made the connection that their negative dex and natural armour were canceling each other. I like the idea of darkvision and very short blind sense. Its more useful, especially at later levels, then just bumping up the natural armour by one.

The Divija were based around Raptorans, as it was the best way I could find to give them wings without an increase to LA, although looking back at the Raptorans, they have lost Low Light Vision, Unerring Direction, and two bonuses to skills, one of which is one of the most-used skills in most games I'm in, without gaining anything.

I guess I was so worried about overpowering my races that I underpowered them