PDA

View Full Version : Is a fighter 2/ warlock x ok

Whit
2019-05-07, 04:58 PM
Fighter 2 with 2 weapon style would get me at lvl 5 hexblade (7 total) thirsting blade 2 attack plus 1 bonus attack.
3 cantrips 6 spells lvl <3 3 invocation.

Or is lvl 2 warlock lvl 5 fighter two weapon style better
2 cantrips 3 spells lvl 1 2 invocations.

Fighter 2 attacks plus 1 bonus attack.
And if so should I go what sub. Champion seems redundant on crits. But how’s battle master or samurai

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-07, 05:04 PM
Fighter 2 with 2 weapon style would get me at lvl 5 hexblade (7 total) thirsting blade 2 attack plus 1 bonus attack.
3 cantrips 6 spells lvl <3 3 invocation.

Or is lvl 2 warlock lvl 5 fighter two weapon style better
2 cantrips 3 spells lvl 1 2 invocations.

Fighter 2 attacks plus 1 bonus attack.
And if so should I go what sub. Champion seems redundant on crits. But how’s battle master or samurai

2 Fighter, 5 Warlock would get you Action Surge, and you'd be able to do some really cool Warlock bursty stuff. Hexblade's Curse, Eldritch Blast, Eldritch Blast, and melt someone in a single turn kind of stuff. Or use Shadow Blade and go to town.

2 Warlock, 5 Fighter is a little more consistent, but a lot less magical. Samurai is the choice you want here, as that bumps your crit chance to almost 20% per attack. Toss in Elven Accuracy and it's bumped to 27%. With just two attacks, that's a 50% chance to crit each turn.

Personally, my recommendation is to go Fighter 2, Warlock 5. Devil's Sight or Shadow Blade can do a lot of heavy lifting with this build. Two Weapon Fighting becomes less valuable the more attacks you have, and so you'll probably want to use Action Surge to cast a Concentration spell immediately.

nickl_2000
2019-05-07, 05:08 PM
Absolutely fighter 2/warlock is okay. Although you need to be at least a tiny bit careful.

1) You would need warcaster (be able to cast with hands full) and Improved Pact Weapon (pact weapon is casting focus) to be able to cast while wielding two weapons.
2) You would need to take Bladelock to be able to use charisma for hit and damage for weapons in both hands. Until then, you will only be able to use charisma for hit/damage with one of your weapons.

Fighter 2 grants you action surge, which can be extremely good for nova damage.

Whit
2019-05-08, 08:05 PM
From what I read when I use the hex warrior ability to use charisma it’s only fir one weapon. Which means the bonus attack weapon will use dex or str.
So at fighter 2 hexblade 5. And cha 18 dex or are 16
I would have hex weapon 1d8+4 x2 and 1d8+3 with hex spell +1d6 per hit and hexblade curse crit 19-20
And then action surge for another above

LordNibbler
2019-05-08, 10:19 PM
From what I read when I use the hex warrior ability to use charisma it’s only fir one weapon. Which means the bonus attack weapon will use dex or str.
So at fighter 2 hexblade 5. And cha 18 dex or are 16
I would have hex weapon 1d8+4 x2 and 1d8+3 with hex spell +1d6 per hit and hexblade curse crit 19-20
And then action surge for another above
Once you have 3 levels in warlock, you can use Cha for your pact weapon and one one-handed weapon you touch after a long rest.

KyleG
2019-05-09, 02:26 AM
2 Fighter, 5 Warlock would get you Action Surge, and you'd be able to do some really cool Warlock bursty stuff. Hexblade's Curse, Eldritch Blast, Eldritch Blast, and melt someone in a single turn kind of stuff. Or use Shadow Blade and go to town.

2 Warlock, 5 Fighter is a little more consistent, but a lot less magical. Samurai is the choice you want here, as that bumps your crit chance to almost 20% per attack. Toss in Elven Accuracy and it's bumped to 27%. With just two attacks, that's a 50% chance to crit each turn.

Personally, my recommendation is to go Fighter 2, Warlock 5. Devil's Sight or Shadow Blade can do a lot of heavy lifting with this build. Two Weapon Fighting becomes less valuable the more attacks you have, and so you'll probably want to use Action Surge to cast a Concentration spell immediately.

Would either build work ok with the warlock class as the first taken, picking up fighter for the 5 or 2 only after at least 1 warlock.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-09, 12:14 PM
Would either build work ok with the warlock class as the first taken, picking up fighter for the 5 or 2 only after at least 1 warlock.

You'll get more value out of starting out as a Fighter. Not only do you start with +2 more HP, but you also get Constitution as a proficient Saving Throw, meaning you'll be able to sustain your powerful Concentration spells a lot better.

KyleG
2019-05-09, 02:04 PM
You'll get more value out of starting out as a Fighter. Not only do you start with +2 more HP, but you also get Constitution as a proficient Saving Throw, meaning you'll be able to sustain your powerful Concentration spells a lot better.

Campaign has begun unfortunately. At the time I'd considered it but didnt fit the character I don't think. it is what it is now.