PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Realization: Hedge Magician doesn't let you craft any faster

The Kool
2019-05-08, 04:40 AM
Now, bear with me. I know everyone lists this in their calculations of time reductions for magic crafting, but it doesn't apply.

Cost to create an item is derived from the base price, not the other way around. A change in the base price will affect the cost to create, but not vice versa.
Hedge Magician (and Spark of Creation) do not affect the base price. They affect the cost to create.
Time to create is not derived from the cost to create, but rather, just like the cost, the time is derived from the base price.
Therefore: reducing the cost to create has no impact on the time to create.

Did I miss anything?

Firechanter
2019-05-08, 07:16 AM
That sounds right to me. The main point about Hedge Magician is not to save time, but to be able to make a little bit of money. IIRC you can craft 1000GP of Base Price per day, and so with H.M. you pay 450GP in materials. So basically that means you can make 50GP per day by selling off your crafted stuff to the next vendor. Hooray! xD

As far as I know, Hedge Magician is the _only_ cost reducer in Pathfinder. As opposed to the plethora of such options in 3.5, which imho were never intended to be combined with each other.

noob
2019-05-08, 07:18 AM
That sounds right to me. The main point about Hedge Magician is not to save time, but to be able to make a little bit of money. IIRC you can craft 1000GP of Base Price per day, and so with H.M. you pay 450GP in materials. So basically that means you can make 50GP per day by selling off your crafted stuff to the next vendor. Hooray! xD

As far as I know, Hedge Magician is the _only_ cost reducer in Pathfinder. As opposed to the plethora of such options in 3.5, which imho were never intended to be combined with each other.

there is some others such as using animal parts and a specific feat or yet using souls(which are otherwise sold to evil people).
non sapients have souls too so you do not have to steal commoner souls for crafting your items.

The Kool
2019-05-08, 07:20 AM
As far as I know, Hedge Magician is the _only_ cost reducer in Pathfinder.

Well, there's Spark of Creation too, but those are impossible to stack because they're the same trait type. Everything else I've seen is a time reducer, not a cost reducer.

noob
2019-05-08, 07:28 AM
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/item-creation-feats/harvest-parts-item-creation/
Use it on animals that are cheap for their cr to get money for your magic items.

Jack_Simth
2019-05-08, 07:30 AM
Not entirely. Haunt Scavenger (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/item-creation-feats/haunt-scavenger-item-creation) for instance.

Firechanter
2019-05-08, 10:10 AM
Not entirely. Haunt Scavenger (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/item-creation-feats/haunt-scavenger-item-creation) for instance.

Well, I didn't know that one, but let's see. It's from a rather obscure splatbook and it shows. Basically a feat to get a bit more loot out of an encounter. You can gain the benefit only from very particular monsters (so for most campaigns outside the scope of the splatbook it simply will never be useful) and only for very limited applications (like, it's worth nothing for anything _other_ than Enchantment or Necromancy items).
Under ideal conditions, you make an extra 50GP per hour, for as many CRs as you have destroyed. Considering that Standard Treasure for increasing CRs is accelerating, the returns of the feat are actually diminishing. A lot of Incorporeal creatures have Treasure: None, so while having this feat makes fighting them not a total loss, it's definitely not worth it hunting them on purpose. I mean, a Wraith may yield 250GP worth of residue, but if you had fought a Troll instead, you could expect 1550GP worth of treasure instead. That's a lot more crafting you can do.

So in short, if your entire campaign is centered on busting ghosts and unhaunting haunts, then it may be an okay feat, but for everyone else it's simply not worth the opportunity cost.

noob
2019-05-08, 11:20 AM
Well, I didn't know that one, but let's see. It's from a rather obscure splatbook and it shows. Basically a feat to get a bit more loot out of an encounter. You can gain the benefit only from very particular monsters (so for most campaigns outside the scope of the splatbook it simply will never be useful) and only for very limited applications (like, it's worth nothing for anything _other_ than Enchantment or Necromancy items).
Under ideal conditions, you make an extra 50GP per hour, for as many CRs as you have destroyed. Considering that Standard Treasure for increasing CRs is accelerating, the returns of the feat are actually diminishing. A lot of Incorporeal creatures have Treasure: None, so while having this feat makes fighting them not a total loss, it's definitely not worth it hunting them on purpose. I mean, a Wraith may yield 250GP worth of residue, but if you had fought a Troll instead, you could expect 1550GP worth of treasure instead. That's a lot more crafting you can do.

So in short, if your entire campaign is centered on busting ghosts and unhaunting haunts, then it may be an okay feat, but for everyone else it's simply not worth the opportunity cost.

Harvest part which I mentioned is essentially like this feat but better.