PDA

View Full Version : Slam attacks and large winged green star adepts

Particle_Man
2019-05-08, 05:54 AM
I have an idea for a half dragon (green, naturally) half ogre (other half human) green star adept. As a half dragon I would get two claws and a bite as natural attacks. A green star adept eventually gets slam attacks. Under natural attacks it says a large creature with slam attack gets two of them. True dragons can make slam attacks with their wings even when flying.

So can I put that all together to get two claw attacks as primary natural attacks and a bite and two slam attacks as secondary natural attacks for a total of five natural attacks per round? Or can I at least kick as a slam attack in addition to a claw claw bite routine? Or must I choose between claw and slam but not use both in the same round?

Mr Adventurer
2019-05-08, 05:58 AM
It says Large creatures can make a slam with each arm.

Particle_Man
2019-05-08, 06:14 AM
But even medium dragons can make slam attacks with their wings. So could a winged green star adept do so?

Mr Adventurer
2019-05-08, 06:45 AM
No, that's a feature of the True Dragons.

I am however unclear as to whether you can "wield" more than one natural weapon on the same limb, or not. You might be able to make a claw attack and a slam attack with each arm.

Buufreak
2019-05-08, 08:20 AM
Limbs don't matter. If something grants you a natural attack, by RAW it wouldn't matter. You can have 5 claws on the same hand and use them all, for example.

Psyren
2019-05-08, 08:47 AM
Slams can use limbs but they don't have to. Even dolphins and gelatinous cubes have slam attacks after all. So I would say you can combine them just fine.

Mr Adventurer
2019-05-08, 09:02 AM
Slams can use limbs but they don't have to. Even dolphins and gelatinous cubes have slam attacks after all. So I would say you can combine them just fine.

Right, except they're talking about the clause that gets you multiple slam attacks - for which you need to be a Large creature with "arms or arm-like limbs".

Particle_Man
2019-05-08, 01:31 PM
Right, except they're talking about the clause that gets you multiple slam attacks - for which you need to be a Large creature with "arms or arm-like limbs".

Do wings count as arm-like limbs?

If not, and I can’t get two slam attacks without sacrificing claw attacks then would I have a claw/claw/bite/slam(with leg) routine?

Mr Adventurer
2019-05-08, 01:45 PM
I would say not, but it's obviously a place for interpretation.

As others have pointed out though, you can apparently have claw(left arm)/claw(right arm)/bite/slam(left arm)/slam(right arm) routine...

Particle_Man
2019-05-08, 02:08 PM
Limbs don't matter. If something grants you a natural attack, by RAW it wouldn't matter. You can have 5 claws on the same hand and use them all, for example.

This would be great for my character idea! Is there a place in the rules or Sage Advice where this is stated outright?