PDA

View Full Version : In soviet Russia, airplane ride YOU!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-10-04, 06:32 AM
Boy survives two-hour flight to Moscow hanging onto plane wing
http://www.en.rian.ru/russia/20070924/80694850.html

MOSCOW, September 24 (RIA Novosti) - A 15-year-old boy from the Urals suffered acute frostbite after riding the wing of a Boeing-737 plane on a two-hour flight from Perm to Moscow, Russian radio station Mayak reported on Monday.

After clinging on for the entire 1300-kilometer (808-mile) flight to Vnukovo Airport, the boy, named Andrei, collapsed onto the tarmac. His arms and legs were so severely frozen that rescuers were at first unable to remove his coat and shoes, the radio station said.

The airport did not confirm the report. "We have no information on this," the Vnukovo press service told RIA Novosti.

However, Moscow's air and water transport control department said the radio's claim was true. A department spokesman said the incident occurred on Friday, and that the boy's parents were immediately informed, and flew to the capital the same day.

Doctors said it was nothing short of a miracle that Andrei survived the flight, with temperatures hitting minus 50 degrees Celsius (-58 Fahrenheit), the radio station said. The Boeing-737 has a cruising speed of 900 kmh (560 mph).

The boy reportedly made the journey after a commonplace domestic dispute. Angry with his father, who reportedly has a drinking problem, and with his mother for siding with her husband in family rows, Andrei ran away to the neighboring village, where his grandmother lives. On reaching the village, he decided to go on, and hitched a 220-km (137-mile) ride to the regional center, Perm, where he was dropped off at the airport.

It remains unclear how Andrei was able to climb on a plane wing un-noticed, and the Perm Airport security service is being asked some serious questions, the radio station said.

Andrei is now being treated in a Moscow hospital, Radio Mayak said.

ufo
2007-10-04, 06:36 AM
:smalleek:

His parents must've been some serious [censored] for him to do anything that drastic.

Pyro
2007-10-04, 07:02 AM
Wow....

I have no words to describe how insane that is.

blademaster42
2007-10-04, 07:08 AM
I do!

Oh.

My.

God.

That is awesome!!!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-10-04, 07:11 AM
:smalleek:

His partens must've been some serious [censored] for him to do anything that drastic.
Or he was a bit of a twerp and threw the world's most self-destructive tantrum that didn't involve actually killing himself.

North
2007-10-04, 07:12 AM
A boeing???

Sweet Christmas!

Well at least he's got the ultimate in story toppers now.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-10-04, 07:15 AM
Well at least he's got the ultimate in story toppers now.
Oh YEAH?! 'I' hitched on the space shuttle and survived 10 g's of acceleration, near minus temperatures AND explosive decompression. And thats before re-entry.

bosssmiley
2007-10-04, 07:26 AM
Oh YEAH?! 'I' hitched on the space shuttle and survived 10 g's of acceleration, near minus temperatures AND explosive decompression. And thats before re-entry.

That's kinda expected VT. I mean, you are the firstborn son of Chuck Norris after all. :smallwink:

The pilot probably saw him on the wing, but mistook him for a Gremlin from the Kremlin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ZkPDY75lw).

Remind me never to go to Vnukovo though. Kid falls off a plane wing frostbitten and unconscious, what's the first thing the skallies try and do? Steal his stuff! Worse than Liverpool. :smalltongue:
The misfortunes of others makes Eggy smile

Curunir
2007-10-04, 07:46 AM
:D

But I just have to mention: there technicaly is no such thing like Soviet Russia for more then 15 years. Today it's called Russian Federation

North
2007-10-04, 08:00 AM
That's kinda expected VT. I mean, you are the firstborn son of Chuck Norris after all. :smallwink:

The pilot probably saw him on the wing, but mistook him for a Gremlin from the Kremlin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ZkPDY75lw).

Remind me never to go to Vnukovo though. Kid falls off a plane wing frostbitten and unconscious, what's the first thing the skallies try and do? Steal his stuff! Worse than Liverpool. :smalltongue:
The misfortunes of others makes Eggy smile

Just too many WoW players over there..

Comrade Mage - Didja hear Putin died

Comrade Shaman - Really what did he drop?

bosssmiley
2007-10-04, 08:09 AM
Just too many WoW players over there..

Comrade Mage - Didja hear Putin died
Comrade Shaman - Really what did he drop?

"In Soviet Warcraft (etc.)"

Coat > Door > Cab :smallamused:

Terumitsu
2007-10-04, 08:14 AM
Now that is just a shortbus filled with special right there.... Here's to the kid surviving..

rubakhin
2007-10-04, 08:14 AM
The kid will be fine. Russians = hardcore. Although crazy in a way Westerners can only dream of. :smalltongue:

But I just have to mention: there technicaly is no such thing like Soviet Russia for more then 15 years. Today it's called Russian Federation

Don't worry, it's just an internet thing. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakov_Smirnoff#Russian_reversal) They know. At least, I hope they know.

Serpentine
2007-10-04, 08:16 AM
Who cares? It'll change again in a few years anyway :smalltongue:

>hides from backlash from people who know better<

North
2007-10-04, 08:21 AM
Id bet more money on it changin then it stayin.

Winterwind
2007-10-04, 08:31 AM
I don't even begin to imagine how he managed to not get shaken off by the plane, what with the accelerations, deccelerations and air resistance involved. :smalleek:

Danin
2007-10-04, 08:45 AM
That right there is the most hard core thing I've heard in a while now. Best since that sky diver who's chute didn't open, hit a tree on her way down and survived with only minor injuries. Walked away from it too. I sure hope this isn't a hoax, I'll be pretty cheezed.

And here I thought this would be a thread on Smirnoff jokes... boy do I have some inappropriate ones of those.

Deneb
2007-10-04, 09:14 AM
Or he was a bit of a twerp and threw the world's most self-destructive tantrum that didn't involve actually killing himself.

i have to agree with ya there, i mean, he could have easily just run away from home. but instead he hopped on the wing of a plane? he was just trying to get attention. if he was really trying to get away from all of that, then he would have just kept hitchhiking.

Ranis
2007-10-04, 09:17 AM
Hah! That's great. Good stuff.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-10-04, 09:19 AM
Wow. That guy rules.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-04, 10:46 AM
Oh God.

That poor, stupid kid. I feel sorry for him, yet want to slap him all at once. :smallyuk:

Whatta fool. :smallfurious:

The poor kid... :smalleek:

Oh... Now I'm confused...

Winterwind
2007-10-04, 10:48 AM
I just wonder whether this was an attempt to get away, or an attempt to kill himself where he changed mind when it was already too late...

North
2007-10-04, 10:51 AM
So

First Class > Business Class > Coach > Cargo > Deluxe Wing > Wing?

Note: Deluxe wing is closer to the fuselage well regular wing is closer to the wing tips. Both are given peanuts at beginning of flight and laughed at when they use both hands to open mid-flight.

@ Tribble Deluxe Wing added to the list :smallwink:

2007-10-04, 11:03 AM
Think they gave him some Vodka?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-10-04, 11:07 AM
So

First Class > Business Class > Coach > Cargo > Wing?
Sounds about right, though between Cargo and Wing should be 'Delux Wing' where they at least supply rope to keep you from having to hold on the whole way, and perhaps some lip balm for those chilly 600 mph winds. Can really cause some chapping.

Micate
2007-10-04, 11:15 AM
Someone give the kid a cookie.

Trog
2007-10-04, 11:19 AM
Holee crap! Wow. Just wow. :smalleek:

:smallconfused:

So do you think that was his plan all along? "Running Away Plan: Part the 7th: Ride on the wing of a plane"? Or do you think he was trying to sneak in and couldn't make it?

More importantly how did they get his in-flight meal to him? :smalltongue:

North
2007-10-04, 11:32 AM
This just came to me

Hanging off the wing would be a real drag.

*Points for anyone who likes bad puns*

Jacklu
2007-10-04, 03:13 PM
Well, I guess that's one way to save on airfare...

secondly,

Hanging off the wing would be a real drag.

North, you just made my eyes bleed, which is better than having to read that pun again...

Cyrano
2007-10-04, 03:17 PM
Lucky bastard. I survived a 3 hour trip hanging onto the wheels.

Captain van der Decken
2007-10-04, 03:18 PM
What I want to know is if they made him go back home again. :smalltongue:

Now that'd be a disappointment.

Winterwind
2007-10-04, 03:23 PM
What I want to know is if they made him go back home again. :smalltongue:

Now that'd be a disappointment.Somehow, I doubt that kid will be going anywhere anytime soon...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-10-04, 03:34 PM
Poor guy. Pretty amazing stunt though.

FoE
2007-10-04, 03:36 PM
That's pretty ****ed. But on the brighter side, it did remind me of the Season 2 finale of the Venture Bros, when Dean Venture rides the X-1 at the end of the episode.

Doctor Venture: "I feel so dirty when they start talking cute."
The Monarch: "Get used to it."
Doctor Venture: "I should tell her that I love her, but the point is probably moot."
The Monarch: "Are you quoting 'Jesse's Girl?'"

Pyro
2007-10-04, 03:51 PM

Hah that just made me think of something. When ever that kid wants something do you think he'll just bring out the "wing of the plane" card. Its the perfect guilt trip! Sorta.....

Cyrano
2007-10-04, 03:52 PM
"And no computer for a week!"
"Yeah, just like the time you forced me to ride on a plane wing!"
"No, that was you being an absolute moron, son."

SurlySeraph
2007-10-04, 05:43 PM
Most. Badass. Kid. Ever!

I admit that riding on the wing of a plane is an unspeakably bad idea, to the point that no normal person would ever even consider it, but the awesomeness makes up for the stupidity at least 9,000 times over.

That kid makes Chuck Norris look like Justin Timberlake.

...wow. Now I feel insecure in my masculinity, because of that kid. *looks longingly in the direction of LaGuardia International Airport...*

Icewalker
2007-10-04, 05:54 PM
Um...seeing as nobody has mentioned this yet, I'm sure I'm missing something obvious...but...how did he breathe? Any hole in the plane causes depressurization and they drop masks so people can breathe...

But yeah. that is IMPRESSIVE. I can't contemplate what he went through enough to feel sorry for him :smalleek:

Harlequin
2007-10-04, 05:59 PM
This kid wins the Badass Of The Day Award. Holy Christmas. If I had the money I would so totally pay for his surgery to replace all of his limbs with Chuck Norris's. Seriously, whoever this kid is, he could probably bench the Columbia Tower in Seattle. How do you hold onto an airplane wing moving at 540 miles per hour for an hour and a half? I want to meet this guy now. After I'm done laughing at him for pulling such a gigantic stupid like riding on an airplane wing.

...Kid's probably so hardcore he could've walked away from it if he fell off the plane.

Danin
2007-10-05, 08:55 PM
If you read the article he survived by riding on the plane wheel and fell onto the tarmack when they were opened, the plane came to a stop and he let go. He did not hang onto the wing of the plane. Although that would be pretty sweet.

Don Julio Anejo
2007-10-05, 11:43 PM
Weird, but I doubt this ever happened. I looked at all the Russian news sites and I couldn`t find this (which isn`t something media would normally cover up, and they don`t even do coverups anymore). And I doubt I missed it because something like this would make the headlines back there.

There`s also no Russian-language version of the story in the link given. Hacker prank?