PDA

View Full Version : Who Put the Bards in Charge? IC

Thundercracker
2019-05-08, 08:47 AM
The roof of the small tent was the same, and the cool, dry night air was the same, but this morning, something was different. Resting near your sleeping pad sat a gleaming suit of mithril armor, along with several pouches of gems and gold and other magical items you'd recovered from the hidden chamber beneath the sands, after weeks of searching and your patron’s insistence they were there to be found.

One thing is for certain, today is the first day of the rest of your life, and the difference between what you have been and what you will be starts now...

Of course, nothing goes according to plan.

A cry of alarm goes up from somewhere outside, which quickly turns into a cry of pain, followed by an alarm bell. The sound of steel combat reaches your ears, quickly growing in frequency.

Please add a brief physical description to your char sheet if you would.

Rizban
2019-05-13, 09:12 PM
I added a picture to the character sheet post.

Grateful to have already been halfway finished with donning his new armor, Rabi grabs a passing servant to help him finish. It might cost a vital few minutes, but better to be armed and armored than not.

"What brings the alarm? No, don't stop. Work while you answer!"

Once the last piece is buckled securely, he grabs a common longsword, pushes past the servant, and strides proudly out of his tent.

Thundercracker
2019-05-14, 08:22 PM
“Raiders,” the servant replied, “gnolls from the south, I think.”

The sounds of combat grow closer as you and the servant strap the armor on. You can also see the flickering orange glow of flames from the entrance of the tent.

Upon stepping out you find that the village is on the verge of being overrun. Sounds of combat are still apparent but less than they were before. Several tents are on fire. To your left, a wagon is attempting to escape. You watch as the last swordsman holding what was formerly a line to cover the escape turns to flee and is cut down from behind. Three gnolls wearing some kind of leather armor are now free to chase down the wagon. To your right, screams of the villagers can be heard from inside tents, along with animalistic growls and barks.

Edit: to your rear, the open desert beckons.

Rizban
2019-05-16, 12:11 AM
"You're with me," he spits out to the servant as his eyes pass briefly over the carnage. "Do try to keep up."

Making a snap decision, Rabi takes off towards the wagon and begins to justify it to himself afterward. There's no reason to charge into the tents, as the gnolls will likely finish their bloody work before he can make much difference, and he already had the most valuable treasures with him. Joining an already broken defensive line is the height of foolishness, followed only by running off into the desert alone and without supplies. Yes, that wagon is likely to have supplies of some sort, perhaps even a few minor relics that had been already loaded up for transport would be aboard. Regardless, it seems the only useful option at the moment.

Thundercracker
2019-05-16, 12:49 AM
The gnolls reach the wagon first. One pulls the driver out of his seat and throws him on the ground and holds him at scimitar-point. Another stops the camels, and a third jumps onto the back, inspects the cargo and shouts something in his gnollish, growling, yipping language before he notices you charging towards them and points you out to his companions. You’re about 50’ away from the rear of the wagon.

no need for initiative, your turn.

Rizban
2019-05-16, 02:38 PM
With a grin, Rabi throws himself towards his enemies. With a sudden leap, Rabi hurls himself into the air, unfurling his wings from beneath his cloak, and skimming across the ground towards his enemies. Landing next to two of them with a laugh, he lashes out with a brutal steel wind, raking a claw through them both.

Sudden Leap maneuver (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23914764&postcount=8) gives 20 feet of movement, the wings give additional 30 feet.

Steel Wind gives two attacks as standard action, each against a different opponent.
[roll0] – [roll1] + [roll2] + 2 electricity
[roll3] – [roll4] + 2 electricity

Thundercracker
2019-05-16, 07:59 PM
One of the gnolls goes down hard, tendrils of electirocty running over it’s twitching body. You open up a deep gash on the arm of another who, seeing he is clearly outmatched, holds his scimitar defensively as he backs away from you and circles around back to the village. The nearest tent is perhaps 80’ away, with the village proper starting about 120’ away. He yells some kind of alarm call or yodel, and you hear an answering cry go up from the raiders.

The remaining gnoll hops into the driver seat and starts turning the wagon around.

The servant rushes to you and picks up the dropped scimitar, looking around frantically.

Rizban
2019-05-16, 10:10 PM
"Get to the wagon, girl! Driver! Pick yourself up and get back on!"

Snapping his head towards the gnoll attempting to take control of the wagon, Rabi's almost feral grin begins to glow and spark before he unleashes a powerful blast of lightning with a roar.

"Run away little gnoll," he says to the one retreating towards the camp. "I have no interest in slaughtering your entire cackle, but I will gladly kill you all if you continue to irritate me."

[roll0] Electricity (Ref DC17 half) [roll1]

Thundercracker
2019-05-16, 10:32 PM
The injured gnoll continues backing towards the burning village, keeping his eyes on you.

You unleash a massive stroke of lighting from your jaws and completely fry the gnoll sitting in the driver’s seat. He slumps forward, hair and clothes burning and body smoking. The camels let out a bellow at the flash of light and crack of thunder, and take off running, turning to the right and skirting the edge of the village. The driver curses in fear, makes a gesture of protection from evil, and runs off into the night. The girl with the scimitar stares at you open mouthed for a moment, then runs to catch up with the wagon.
the camels are spooked and hitched to the wagon are running at 3x20 speed, along the edge of the village.

Rizban
2019-05-28, 01:42 AM
Rabi runs towards the wagon, flapping his wings to lift his lagging feet from the sand. He glances over his shoulder to be sure the servant is coming.

Run at x4 speed while flying is 4x30=120.

Thundercracker
2019-05-28, 03:04 AM
You quickly catch up to the wagon, pottery jars bouncing around as it rumbles over the uneven ground.

its a jump or balance or climb check, depending on whether you want to land on the wagon, jump onto the back, or climb into the driver’s seat, DC 15.

The servant tosses the scimitar into the back of the wagon.

At the edge of the village you can see silhouettes of gnolls, at least 8 of them that you’ve spotted so far, against the fire of the burning tents and buildings. Sounds of combat have given way to screams of panic and pain.

Rizban
2019-05-28, 12:44 PM
Rabi [roll0] for the wagon and scrambles for the reins, attempting to slow the wagon long enough for his servant to clamber aboard.

Thundercracker
2019-05-28, 08:07 PM
You clamber over pottery and a box or two, and grab the reins. The camels are panicked and running loose. They won’t last long at this speed and there is a risk they’ll stumble and injure themselves.

handle animal to get them to slow down, one dc 20 check will do it, or two dc 15 checks.

The servant tries to clamber into the back of the wagon.
[roll0]and rolls in among the clay jars.

You are almost past the village now, and a quick glance behind you sets your heart racing even faster, as gnolls are starting to give chase. Once you clear the village the firelight will be diminished and the light of the moon...
[roll1]
Is non existent because tonight is a new moon.

Rizban
2019-05-28, 10:16 PM
Fumbling with the reins, Rabi calls over his shoulder to the girl, "You'd better know how to drive this thing, because I've never done this before."

Rabi isn't trained in Handle Animal, and it's a trained only skill. So... he may just be out of luck.

Rizban
2019-06-01, 07:44 PM
The rolls.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Thundercracker
2019-06-02, 07:49 AM
By the time you get the camels under control, the gnolls are nearly upon you. You've skirted the edge of the village and are about to leave it behind. The good news is you're headed towards a relatively cleared pathway which leads away from the village and into the deep desert. Luckily for you, you can see in the dark just as well as they can. The closest of the group (roughly five of them) nearest to you are only 30' away, and you can see more giving chase behind them.

The servant is able to take the reins now that the camels aren't bolting in panic.

Rizban
2019-06-03, 08:31 PM
"Take us out of here. Keep it slow, steady. Don't rush it, and we'll be fine," Rabi reassures the servant as he passes off the reins. He adds with a chuckle, "Don't worry, I'm sure you're better at this than I am!"

He pats her on the shoulder to reassure her. "I'll be right back."

Jumping off the side of the cart ([roll0]), Rabi moves towards the gnolls and lines up for a breath attack to hit two or more of them. [roll1] Electricity (30-ft line, Ref DC17 half) [roll2]

As a swift action, he then shifts his active aura from Dragonfire to Arcane Insight and activates Knowledge Devotion against the gnolls. [roll3].

Thundercracker
2019-06-05, 08:07 PM
You move off to one side to hit as many gnolls as possible with the bolt of lighting, and the attack fries three of the gnolls where they stand and they drop twitching to the ground. Three of the gnolls farther away pull up and fire short bows at you.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

The rest give you a wide berth and go for the wagon. Their height allows them to reach over the railing and grab the pottery containers, which two of them do, with four more next to the wagon ready to reach in next round.

Rizban
2019-06-05, 10:01 PM
The arrows harmlessly plink off of Rabi's armor as he charges at one of the gnolls reaching for the containers.

[roll0]+2=[20] – [roll1] + [roll2]

"Get away from there, you filthy dogs. I swear you're worse than jackals."

Forgot to add the +2 attack from charging.

Thundercracker
2019-06-05, 11:59 PM
You put your momentum into a spinning slash that opens up the gnoll’s neck and back, dropping him to the ground in a puddle of gore. The five others close to the wagon grab their booty and, apparently not wanting to tangle with you, they scatter, heading away from the wagon and more or less back towards the village.

three of them are 30’ away, and another is 60’ away

Everyone else (about a dozen gnolls now) appears to be keeping their distance (about 60’), while the servant does her best not to panic and scream.

Rizban
2019-06-07, 10:37 AM
"You realize, of course, that I'm going to kill each and every last one of you," Rabi states flatly with a malicious smirk. "Better run while you can."

Rabi leaps forward, unfurling his wings and gliding into position next to one of the thieving gnolls, and lets out of vicious roar right in its face.

[roll0]

Shift essentia into Brass Mane (2) and Elder Spirit (3). Bonus might be higher, but I think that's right. Posting from my phone.

Desperately need to get armor enchanted with Fearsome so he can Intimidate as a Move action rather than a Standard...

Thundercracker
2019-06-08, 08:26 AM
The gnoll panics and turns to sprint towards the village, still holding the pottery jar.
Attack of opportunity if you choose to take it.

A group of about a half-dozen cautiously advance towards the wagon, it'll be about 12 seconds before they get there at their current speed. They're about 90' away from you so they're little more than dark silhouettes against the burning tents and buildings. The archers seem to have stopped for the moment, perhaps not wanting to draw your wrath. You are now about 40' away from the wagon.

Rizban
2019-06-08, 12:38 PM
Attack of Opportunity - [roll0] – [roll1] + [roll2]

Male AzurinMoI Dragon ShamanAVB (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23857967&postcount=23) 6 // TotemistMoI 2/IncarnateMoI 3/SwordsageToB 1SourcebookMoINE Medium Humanoid (Human, Incarnum, Dragonblood)Initiative -5; Senses Darkvision 60 ft.; Low-Light Vision; Listen +1; Spot -1
Languages Common, Draconic
AC 22 T 10 FF 22; Fort +11 Ref +7 Will +8
–Masterwork Mithral Full Plate (+8)
–Natural (+4) Speed 30 ft., Fly 30 ft. (Average)
BAB +6 Grapple +11
–Breath Weapon [4d6 Electricity (Ref DC17 half)] (1 round)
–+1 Sphinx Claw [+13 (1d8+6 | x2)]
– Draconic Claw [+11 (1d6+5 | x2)]Swordsage Maneuvers
–IL 4; Readied 4; Maneuvers & Stances Known:
2nd – Claw at the MoonR, Shadow Jaunt
1st – Wolf Fang StrikeR, Sudden LeapE, Mighty Throw, Steel WindE
–R This maneuver is currently readied.
Stances – Step of the Wind†
–† This stance is currently active.hp 74 (6 HD)
Immune frightful presence, sleep, paralysis
Resist Electricity 10

Strength-16-(+3)
Dexterity-10-(+0)
Constitution-18-(+4)
Intelligence-12-(+1)
Wisdom-8-(-1)
Charisma-11-(+0)Dragon Shaman (Blue)
–CL: 6; Draconic Aura: +2; Breath Weapon: 3d6 Electricity
–Active Aura: Arcane Insight

Dragonpacts Tyrant of the Desert Sun – silent image 3/day, blur 1/day

AuraEffectHoard Sense+2× Appraise. Detect Coins/Metals/Gems.
Arcane VigorFast healing 1× up to 1/2 max hp.
DragonfireBreath +×d6. +× energy to weapon damage.
Arcane Insight+Decipher Script,Knowledge,Spellcraft. Read magic, detect magic
Shamanic InvocationGain a least draconic invocation. (Draconic Knowledge)Incarnate Meldshaping
–CL 3; Soulmelds: 3; Essentia: 4; Binds: 1
Totemist Meldshaping
–CL 2; Soulmelds: 3; Essentia: 2; Binds: 1Additional Meldshaping Feats: Open Least Chakra (Hands)
ChakraSoulmeldEEffect
Incarnate Soulmelds
SoulNecrocarnum Shroud0+1 Atk/Dmg if living creature hurt
CrownElder Spirit (Bound)3+4+2E Int|Karc|Khis|UMD; immune FriPre/sle/para
BrowTruthseeker Goggles0+2+2E GI|Sea|SM
HandsLightning Gauntlets (Bound)0(1+E)d6 elec to weapon 1/rndTotemist SoulmeldsThroatBrass Mane2+4+2E Intimidate
HandsSphinx Claws (Totem)1+E Str checks/Str skill checks|+E Claws
WaistWormtail Belt (Item)0+2+E Nat ACFeats: Race – Necrocarnum Acolyte, Flaw – Dragon Wings, Flaw – Draconic Toughness, HD1 – Draconic Knowledge, DS1 – Draconic Heritage (Blue), DS2 – Draconic Claw, HD3 – Knowledge Devotion, DS3 – Blue Dragon Lineage, –, Swo1 – Weapon Focus (Tiger Claw), HD6 – Open Least Chakra (Hands), DS6 – Improved Dragon Wings
–Flaws: Shaky, Unreactive
Possessions: Dragon Spirit Cincture, 500 gp
SkillTotalRanks
Appraise+10
Bluff+55
Decipher Script+41
Diplomacy+20
Gather Information+20
Intimidate+200
Jump+131
Knowledge (arcana)+295
Knowledge (architecture and engineering)+151
Knowledge (dungeoneering)+151
Knowledge (geography)+151
Knowledge (history)+251
Knowledge (local)+151
Knowledge (nature)+151
Knowledge (nobility and royalty)+151
Knowledge (psionics)+151
Knowledge (religion)+195
Knowledge (the planes)+151
Listen+10
Search+30
Sense Motive+43
Spellcraft+189
Spot-10
Use Magic Device+111

Thundercracker
2019-06-08, 07:26 PM
You cut the gnoll down from behind as he tried to flee. The pottery container falls from his hands and pops open when it hits the ground, spilling what looks like water onto the parched ground.

still your turn

Rizban
2019-06-12, 04:42 PM
Flapping through the air next to one of the approaching gnolls, Rabi shifts his active aura to Dragonfire and readies an action to breathe lightning when two or more gnolls line up for him.

[roll0] Electricity (30-ft line, Ref DC17 half) [roll1]

AoO if adjacent gnoll provokes - [roll2] – [roll3] + [roll4]

Thundercracker
2019-06-12, 07:49 PM
The gnoll nearest to you withdraws and falls back, and you unleash another bolt of lighting, dropping another two gnolls to the ground. The rest of them spread out and fall back with yipping and barking sounds, and no more appear to be approaching the wagon, for now.

thats the end of combat unless you want to move away from the wagon and try and chase any of these guys down.

Rizban
2019-06-12, 11:20 PM
Taking flight, Rabi returns to the cart.

"I believe I've driven them away. Still, it would be good to continue on for awhile a gain some distance, if the camels are up to it."

Thundercracker
2019-06-13, 06:20 AM
“Okay, but I can’t really see where we’re going,” the servant said.

To your left is the edge of the rough areas where the village mined ore, and to your right and ahead of you is open rocky sandy desert. The burning village fades behind you until it is only a speck. How long do you wish to travel?

Rizban
2019-06-13, 09:09 AM
"Just keep it steady. If I see anything, I'll mention it."

He settles into the seat next to her, keeping an eye on the desert ahead, occasionally looking behind them to see if the gnolls are going to follow.

"So, what's your name?"

Thundercracker
2019-06-13, 10:38 AM
"I am called Aliya," the servant replied.
She appears to be in her mid-teens and slight of build, most likely due to the meager food which was available in the village. She has simple desert clothing, light colored and flowing, which covers most of her exposed skin, including her head, leaving only her face and hands exposed.

It does not appear the gnolls are giving chase, though they might be following from a distance, it would be difficult to tell in the darkness.

"Are you a demon?" Aliya asked after several quiet minutes.

Rizban
2019-06-13, 11:56 AM
"Ha!" he laughs at her question. "Aliya, if I were a demon, none would be left alive this night. I would have had demonic slaves to dress me in my armor without needing your help. No, I'm merely a man. Blessed, but still a man.

Tell me of the skills and training you have. If we're to survive the desert, I need to know your abilities."

Thundercracker
2019-06-15, 03:33 AM
“Then, why do you have wings?” she asked.

“I have some skill with engraving, and chiseling,” she said, “and I have ridden camels in the past.”

shes a level 1 commoner with a few ranks in profession, ride, listen, and use rope.”

Rizban
2019-08-20, 04:53 PM
"As I said, blessed," he says with a smile and a wink.

"It's good you know about camels. I never had the money for them when I was younger, and, well, I haven't really had a need for them since."

Thundercracker
2019-08-20, 07:50 PM
You leave the village as nothing but a glowing speck on the horizon, and soon enough even that vanishes from sight. As the rush of the battle and escape wears off, fatigue begins to settle in. Aliya begins to yawn and nod, struggling to keep herself awake. There are probably still a few hours until dawn, and you are several miles into the desert.

Rizban
2019-08-22, 04:17 PM
Switching his aura to Arcane Insight, Rabi looks across the horizon and tries to place where they are based on the direction they took from the village. If he remembers correctly, there should be somewhere nearby to settle in and avoid the heat of the day.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Thundercracker
2019-08-22, 07:37 PM
To the west, perhaps a few miles, there should be a series of ravines and canyons which might offer some protection. If you get lucky there might even be a cave or two. You’re now northwest of the village, in the southeastern quadrant of the great desert.

Rizban
2019-08-22, 09:47 PM
Rabi nudges Aliya's arm with his elbow and points towards the west when het gets her attention.

"Turn that way. We should be able to find some shelter there and get some rest."

Thundercracker
2019-08-23, 01:20 AM
Going becomes tougher once you’re off the trail, with rough sections that cause the wagon to rumble and grate. The camels don’t seem to care.

Eventually you come to a shallow rocky ravine you can’t safely cross with the wagon, extending north and south out of your vision.

Rizban
2019-08-23, 01:43 AM
Rabi stops the cart and looks down into the ravine. If he sees nothing of interest, they turn north and follow the ravine for awhile. Rabi walks alongside the cart on the ravine side as they go.

Thundercracker
2019-08-23, 04:39 AM
Walking along the side of the cart, sometimes you hear tiny feet of nocturnal desert dwellers scurrying away as you move past, but mostly just the creaking of the wagon wheels.

The ravine runs for about fifty meters, then evens out to a gully, then to rocky and sandy ground again. Farther to the west there should be deeper ravines and canyons, if you’re looking for a cave to shelter in. Or, you could head into the shallow ravine you just walked along the side of.

Rizban
2019-08-23, 09:47 AM
"Wait here."

Rabi heads into the ravine for a quick look around.

Thundercracker
2019-08-24, 07:59 AM
The ravine runs for about a hundred meters, and is perhaps eight feet deep at its lowest point. You see a lizard or two, perhaps a scorpion, scuttling away as you approach. There are no caves but as the ravine runs north south the sun should only hit the bottom of the shelter during the middle of the day.

Rizban
2019-08-26, 01:15 AM
"Not here. We travel a bit farther. You can make it another hour?"

Thundercracker
2019-08-26, 01:56 AM
Aliya has fallen asleep by the time you return. At your prompting though she starts awake .

“Yes, I can go farther,” she replied.

You continue on in a generally westward direction and the ground gradually becomes rougher and rockier and the going becomes slower as the camels start having a tougher time pulling the wagon across the uneven ground. You pass a few other small ravines or gullies similar to the first, until about 40 minutes later you reach a much deeper ravine, almost bordering on a small canyon. From where you stand, you don’t see an easy way to get the wagon down, as the walls are much too steep. The small canyon curves slightly away from you into the distance behind the range of your sight. It’s varies in width from ten to twenty-five feet across.