PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Curse/Boon

Wildarm
2019-05-08, 08:49 AM
Looking for suggestions/feedback on a possible curse/boon for one of my players.

The group is Tier2 and just skimmed between the prime material plane and the elemental plane of earth in a hastily repaired ship designed to do this sort of planar skimming. The trip was a rough one and one of the players(Light Cleric) rolled a natural one for avoiding adverse effects.

I wanted to add some sort of elemental curse/boon for this player to reflect that part of them is now linked to the elemental plane of earth or perhaps their body has attracted an elemental stowaway.

Boon Features:
- Learn the Mold Earth Cantrip - You can naturally mold and shape the earth with your hands
- You may choose to ignore effects that would push, pull, or forcefully move you as long as you are touching unworked earth - You can bond with the earth under your feet
Bane Feature:
- You have disadvantage on dexterity saving throws - Being slightly out of phase with the prime material plane has made you clumsy.

Anyone have other ideas? Is the above balanced overall?

DeTess
2019-05-08, 08:54 AM
The Neutral feature feels a bit out-of-fluff. The elemental plane of earth isn't know for fire, after all. The disadvantage on dexterity saves depends on their build, but if they haven't invested in increasing that save, I don't think it'd be too bad.

For the Neutral feature, maybe instead give them resistance to acid (the elemental type associated with the element earth) and vulnerability lightning (the damage type associated with the element air) damage?

Wildarm
2019-05-08, 09:00 AM
The Neutral feature feels a bit out-of-fluff. The elemental plane of earth isn't know for fire, after all. The disadvantage on dexterity saves depends on their build, but if they haven't invested in increasing that save, I don't think it'd be too bad.

For the Neutral feature, maybe instead give them resistance to acid (the elemental type associated with the element earth) and vulnerability lightning (the damage type associated with the element air) damage?

Hmmm yeah, fire/earth are separate planes... I wanted to add some sort of elemental effect but I guess fire would be off-theme.

Acid resistance and lightning vulnerability could be work. Just didn't want to tack on a bunch of random pluses and minuses though. Acid is such an odd damage type. I went through the earth elemental creatures in the MM and couldn't find any effect I felt would fit for a player. Nonmagical damage resistance 1 or 2 was another thought but again, not really impactful.

Edited the top post with a new set of features.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-08, 10:07 AM
You might want to be careful about how you word that second bullet. Forced movement can sometimes be a good thing. Prime example? Wall of Force.

Wildarm
2019-05-08, 10:19 AM
You might want to be careful about how you word that second bullet. Forced movement can sometimes be a good thing. Prime example? Wall of Force.

Hmm OK, Updated it to a choice to cancel the movement.

MrStabby
2019-05-08, 12:11 PM
Resistance to force damage might also work. It is the damage from being encased in rock and similar from spells like dimension door.