PDA

View Full Version : Designing an Ultimate Time Boss

Waterdeep Merch
2019-05-08, 02:15 PM
Preface: My players have just about gotten to the dramatic reveal of the BBEG, Xihher, who's been pulling the strings in their game. The world's first dragon and the guardian of destiny he rebelled against the fated extinction of his race, and then manipulated humanity epochs later to shatter time so that he could survive in every era and create his 'paradise' at the end of everything. Xihher simultaneously exists in five different worlds that are actually distinct points in history that are non-linear now thanks to his machinations. He loves humanity and sees them as the only race that deserves to share paradise with him, twisting them into orcs in the desolate future.

The party was a last resort from the dwarves, architects of the world, who saw that Xihher would subvert his purpose and prevent the fated death and rebirth of the world. To stop him, they removed several individuals from fate throughout history- the party represents the very last hope of this plan working, as every previous hero to wield the power to shatter fate only ever used it for selfish gain.

He's sort of Lavos from Chrono Trigger crossed with Alduin from the Elder Scrolls. The players are likely to end up in a fight with him around level 13 in a session or two here that will be cut short, more a taste of things to come. The power level of the game is absolutely insane by normal measures, so I'm less concerned with getting the numbers right at the moment than getting the feel right. And I feel like right now, he's just way too vanilla for the epic conclusion to the most high powered campaign I've ever run.

Here's what I've got so far-

Xihher
Gargantuan dragon, lawful evil
Armor Class 26 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 1260 (60d20 + 600)
Speed 40 ft., climb 40 ft., fly 120 ft. (hover)

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

30 (+10)
13 (+1)
30 (+10)
28 (+9)
25 (+7)
30 (+10)

Skills Athletics +19, Intimidation +19, Perception +16
Damage Immunities necrotic
Condition Immunities blinded, charmed, frightened
Senses darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 26, truesight 50 ft.
Languages Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, Infernal, Orc
Challenge 30 (155000 XP)

Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Xihher fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.

Time Lapse. If Xihher begins his turn with an ongoing effect that would prevent an action, he can spend one of its attacks to ignore the effect until the end of his turn.

Xihher may also forgo an attack to instead concentrate on one additional spell. Both effects may be freely used along with his Distorted Breath.

Spellcasting. Xihher is a 21st-level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 26, +18 to hit with spell attacks). Xihher can cast any 8th level or lower sorcerer, warlock, or wizard spells at-will. He also has the following spells prepared:
Cantrips (at will): Eldritch Blast, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion
9th level (1 slots): Foresight, Imprisonment, Time Stop

Actions
Multiattack. Xihher can use his Temporal Corruption. He then makes four attacks: one with his bite, two with his claws, and one with his tail.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 29 (3d12+10) piercing damage plus 14 (4d6) necrotic damage, and the target must make a DC 24 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned until the end of their next turn.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 23 (3d8+10) slashing damage.

Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +19 to hit, reach 20 ft., any number of creatures in range. Hit: 26 (3d10+10) bludgeoning damage.

Temporal Corruption. Each creature of Xihher's choice that is within 120 feet of it and aware of it must succeed on a DC 21 Charisma saving throw or be lost in time. They blink out of existence until the end of their next turn. While removed in this way, they leave only a faint shadow of themselves behind, cannot be targeted, and are restrained, deafened, and blinded.

Distorted Breath (Recharge 5-6). Xihher exhales corrupted time in a 90-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 27 Dexterity saving throw, taking 105 (30d6) temporal damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Legendary Actions
Xihher can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. Xihher regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn.

Teleport. Xihher teleports to any place he can see.
Bite. Xihher makes a bite attack.
Spell Cast. Xihher casts a spell that has a casting time of 1 action or less.

Lair Actions
On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties) Xihher takes a lair action to cause one of the following effects; Xihher can't use the same effect two rounds in a row:

Xihher warps back time for himself by one round. His HP, ongoing effects, and conditions reverts to how it was for him at initiative count 20 last turn. His spell slots, remaining Legendary Resistances, and Legendary Reactions do not change, however, and Distorted Breath does not recharge or become lost during this warp.
A second Xihher appears and fights until initiative count 20 on the next turn.
Until the next initiative count 20, target creature has disadvantage on all attack rolls and saving throws, and Xihher has advantage on attack rolls against them.

Unoriginal
2019-05-08, 02:23 PM
How about: rather than some mummies, he summons the other versions of himself to help? Or versions of himself that are from further away in this same combat?

And what if instead of Maddening Presence, his Aura thing was making people blink in and out of existence, given how he's the center of many timeline's disruption? Kind of like the Blink spell, except their turns while gone gets entirely skipped, including for the duration of positive and negative effects (ex: you got an effect for 3 rounds, you get Timeskpeed for one round, you come back with still 3 rounds of effect).

Also, if he is a Warlock, he shouldn't have that many spell slots. That's kinda the thing with Warlocks.

Waterdeep Merch
2019-05-08, 02:25 PM
How about: rather than some mummies, he summons the other versions of himself to help? Or versions of himself that are from further away in this same combat?

And what if instead of Maddening Presence, his Aura thing was making people blink in and out of existence, given how he's the center of many timeline's disruption? Kind of like the Blink spell, except their turns while gone gets entirely skipped, including for the duration of positive and negative effects (ex: you got an effect for 3 rounds, you get Timeskpeed for one round, you come back with still 3 rounds of effect).

Ooh, I actually really like those.

Also, if he is a Warlock, he shouldn't have that many spell slots. That's kinda the thing with Warlocks.

He's the source of all the magic humanity knows of. He's a 'warlock' caster in that he's where anyone that's ever had a pact gets their power from. He, himself, doesn't use pact magic.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-08, 02:27 PM
It might be too strong, or something, but I really think it's a big oversight that a Time Wizard doesn't have Time Stop.

I wouldn't have an ability that actually rewinds time and conditions, as that becomes really awkward to track. I think a better way of doing it would be to have some kind of ability that is similar to a time-rewind effect.

For example,

Temporal Clone: he can lock his current status as a temporal time-Clone, which has his current HP. This Clone cannot move, and cannot take actions, but it can take damage. As a lair action, his primary form can disappear and take the place of his temporal Clone.

Temporal Shift: As a Lair Action, he can rewind certain aspects of the fight. All players gain the benefits of a Short Rest, due to recuperating some of their energy, but also suffer Exhaustion from the shock of shifting through time. The boss gains 50% of his missing HP.

Unoriginal
2019-05-08, 02:35 PM
Ooh, I actually really like those.

Glad I could help.

He's the source of all the magic humanity knows of. He's a 'warlock' caster in that he's where anyone that's ever had a pact gets their power from. He, himself, doesn't use pact magic.

Then I would just give him:

Innate Spellcasting:

10 times/long rest: Wish

1 time/long rest: Foresight, Imprisonment, Time Stop

Just a suggestion.

Waterdeep Merch
2019-05-08, 02:36 PM
It might be too strong, or something, but I really think it's a big oversight that a Time Wizard doesn't have Time Stop.

I'm so trained to overlook that spell that it didn't even occur to me that, worthless or not, it's thematically appropriate.

Also haste and slow.

Then I would just give him:

Just a suggestion.
Wish is the manner in which fate is broken in this universe, a tool only the players have access to (and all of them, though it has a separate list of potential drawbacks whenever they use it). Though just letting Xihher cast literally any other spell regardless of level might make a lot of sense and save on space.