PDA

View Full Version : Second thoughts on my Barbarian subclass for CoS

jaappleton
2019-05-08, 03:54 PM
So, my last character in CoS died.

NOTE: Don't **** with Baba Lysaga. Especially when you're 4th level.

ANYWAYS.

My Barbarian hasn't been introduced just yet. That's happening early in the session on Friday. For right now, I've picked Zealot. Seems great for CoS, right?

Yet I'm having second thoughts. At-will Radiant should be AWESOME. But is it better than Bear Totem?

Party Composition:

1. Warforged Devotion Paladin with Shield Master
2. Warforged Dreams Druid
3. ????? (His Monk died when my Wizard died, he hasn't made a new character yet)
4. Changeling Divine Soul Sorc
5. VHuman Crossbow Expert Fighter, who already has a backup War Cleric ready to roll
6. My Barbarian

Between the Druid via Moonbeam, the Paladin, the Divine Soul... I'd say Radiant is fairly covered.

So regardless I was going to be up front with the Paladin.

Our table does NOT use material components, FWIW. (See: Zealot Barb lv3)

So... Totem or Zealot?

stoutstien
2019-05-08, 04:01 PM
Does the divine sorcerer have revivify?

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-08, 04:05 PM
I'm not usually a big fan of Bear, but it looks like it'd be a good choice here.

Although, if the Monk player decides to roll another melee character, really consider Ancestral Guardian. AG is amazing in a team that can keep enemies off of your back, as you can effectively cripple bosses (and CoS has a LOT) from being able to do anything as long as you use proper mobility. An Ancestral Guardian Barbarian with Mobile is probably a better addition to a team than a Bear Totem Barbarian, as long as you play it correctly.

Reckless Attack an enemy to guarantee a hit, taunt them into being useless at attacking anyone but you, run away with your 50 movement speed before they can take advantage of your Reckless vulnerability.

Bear Totem is good, if you expect to be the only person that's getting attacked.
Ancestral Guardian is good, if you expect everyone else to be attacked.

CheddarChampion
2019-05-08, 04:11 PM
I think you'll still get more mileage out of Zealot unless you can start with a magical or silvered weapon.
Certain creatures will be immune to normal weapons.
Other creatures will be less tough if anyone hits them with radiant.
Plenty of creatures will be normal.

In my experience with CoS, dealing radiant damage (even with enough to go around already) will come up more often than resistance to necrotic/poison/other. The vast majority of damage you take will be B/P/S.

jaappleton
2019-05-08, 04:26 PM
I plan on attacking Recklessly quite a bit.

I figure the less damage I take, from all sources, the less healing to be used on me, as I should be able to utilize my hit dice to the maximum potential as a result.

——

As far as magic items.... I’m running CoS for my home group. DM knows this.

This is a Barbarian that’s I played before with this DM. It was actually my first ever 5E character. He LOVES how I play this dumb oaf.

DM also stated that a certain something from Yester Hill would be perfect for him...

GlenSmash!
2019-05-08, 05:54 PM
Does the divine sorcerer have revivify?

A very good question. Effectively extra HP becomes less important if Resurrection is just a spell slot away.

Also in CoS Resurrection can have some pretty neat plot hooks.

sophontteks
2019-05-08, 05:56 PM
Its better then bear totem. Bear totem is just a vanilla barb with some more resistance. You are resistant to the majority of damage you'll take already.

Unoriginal
2019-05-08, 06:03 PM
So, my last character in CoS died.

NOTE: Don't **** with Baba Lysaga. Especially when you're 4th level.

I thought you played a Lore Wizard who paralyzed her with a swapped-save-to-DEX Hold Monster and then everyone in the party skewered her since she could not ever succeed that save?

Even if it's costly components/components which aren't burned by the spell?

GlenSmash!
2019-05-08, 06:09 PM

So... Totem or Zealot?

Oh I missed that part.

Still I think what Zealot gets at 6 and 10 is better that What Totem gets at those levels. I also like that Zealot damage works at Range. Super useful for those times when I can't get into melee or wouldn't want to.

jaappleton
2019-05-08, 06:15 PM
I thought you played a Lore Wizard who paralyzed her with a swapped-save-to-DEX Hold Monster and then everyone in the party skewered her since she could not ever succeed that save?

I did!

The DM however ruled the tree would continue to carry out her last command, which was to smash my party to bits.

.....it did exactly that.