PDA

View Full Version : Rogue/Arcane Archer

nickl_2000
2019-05-08, 05:26 PM
Would an Arcane Archer with rogue levels be able to use sneak attack against the target of a curving shot?

1-Shoots at target A, misses
2-uses curving shot to aim at target B who had an ally next to it and hits.

Do got get sneak attack against target B?

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-08, 05:29 PM
I mean, you can miss with your first attack and hit with a second Bonus Action attack and still get Sneak Attack. What made you think you wouldn't from the Curving Shot feature?

KOLE
2019-05-08, 05:31 PM
Welp, Arcane Archer/Trickster multi build here I come. I don’t know why I never thought is combo but this sounds like fun.

nickl_2000
2019-05-08, 05:31 PM
I mean, you can miss with your first attack and hit with a second Bonus Action attack and still get Sneak Attack. What made you think you wouldn't from the Curving Shot feature?

I'm really not sure. It would make sense that you could get a sneak attack from it. I just didn't know if there was a compelling reason otherwise.

nickl_2000
2019-05-08, 05:32 PM
Welp, Arcane Archer/Trickster multi build here I come. I don’t know why I never thought is combo but this sounds like fun.

That is exactly what was running through my mind actually.

KOLE
2019-05-08, 05:35 PM
That is exactly what was running through my mind actually.

Arcane Archer doesn’t get much love, half the time I forget it’s an option, but that is a character I would love to play.

nickl_2000
2019-05-08, 05:39 PM
Arcane Archer doesn’t get much love, half the time I forget it’s an option, but that is a character I would love to play.

I feel like the AT would add a lot to the feel of an AA, although it wouldn't be the most optimal.

I need like 5 more games to play so I have a chance at all the character ideas running around my head

KOLE
2019-05-08, 05:41 PM
I feel like the AT would add a lot to the feel of an AA, although it wouldn't be the most optimal.

I need like 5 more games to play so I have a chance at all the character ideas running around my head

I relate to that. Last time I tallied up my “To play someday” list it hit about 40. Number of characters I’ve actually run including one shots... 5. Forever DM.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-08, 05:44 PM

The trick is figuring out which Rogue subclass would work with it.

Inquisitive seems like it'd work well.
Mastermind would be good, if you planned on being in medium range combat. You'd have the HP for it.
Arcane Trickster seems obvious, but I feel like it'd be hard to have the two synergize in any way.
Scout would do well, as you can afford to be closer due to your higher HP, and you can better line up those Piercing Arrow shots.

nickl_2000
2019-05-08, 06:00 PM
I relate to that. Last time I tallied up my “To play someday” list it hit about 40. Number of characters I’ve actually run including one shots... 5. Forever DM.

I use the squire pro app on Android and regularly create and delete characters in there. I had to stop at one point.

The trick is figuring out which Rogue subclass would work with it.

Inquisitive seems like it'd work well.
Mastermind would be good, if you planned on being in medium range combat. You'd have the HP for it.
Arcane Trickster seems obvious, but I feel like it'd be hard to have the two synergize in any way.
Scout would do well, as you can afford to be closer due to your higher HP, and you can better line up those Piercing Arrow shots.

I will have to theory craft to see what i can get to work together for AT/AA. I really like the feel of mixing the two.