PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Suspicion System help

TrashTrash
2019-05-08, 05:33 PM
I'm developing a "suspicion" system for a 5e homebrew adventure. In the simplest way I can put it, PCs earn and lose points depending on their behavior. It's part of my attempt to prevent my players from burning down churches and robbing merchants for fun. :smalleek:

Suspicion Rating System
Simple effect table:
-3 & less: NPCs will give substantially better deals, rewards, and information.
-2: NPCs will give better deals, etc.
-1: NPCs will give slightly better deals, etc.
0: NPCs will give normal deals, etc.
+1: NPCs will give slightly worse deals, etc.
+2: NPCs will give somewhat bad deals, etc.
+3: NPCs will give bad deals, etc.
+4 and more: NPCs will give horrible deals, etc.

Simple acquisition table:
-3: Do something incredibly heroic.
-2: Do something incontestably good.
-1: Do something fairly beneficial.
0: Do absolutely nothing at all.
+1: Do something fairly harmful.
+2: Do something incontestably amoral.
+3: Do something incredibly evil.

I want to encourage my players to make good (or at least legal) decisions. I'd roll this out as-is, but I want to get some outside opinions on the system first.

Thanks all!

Bjarkmundur
2019-05-08, 05:57 PM
I quite like this. It really opens my eyes about NPC disposition towards PCs. Pretty cool concept :D
I especially like how simple and straightforward it is. If I know me, I'd probably end up with 3 full pages of conditions, mechanics, special events, features, abilities and tables xD

Crisis21
2019-05-08, 06:15 PM
You might tweak it a little to reflect the players' impact on the lives of the merchants they are dealing with rather than make it a simple good/evil scale.

Taking out a pillaging tribe of orcs is probably a good deed overall, but the weaponsmith who was making bank arming guardsmen and concerned citizens might not appreciate it.

Also, you might want to allow for the rumor mill to affect the players' standing. After all, suspicion is less about what someone has done and more about what others think they have done.

Edit: Also maybe make it so positive benefits might be temporary, especially if the players abuse the good fortune. A merchant offering a one time deal in recognition of the players' heroism, or as thanks for, say, saving their life is believable, but a lifetime discount might not be until the players really establish themselves as worthy of it.

Another option is to allow certain merchants to have 'special stock' (such as more potent potions or better quality weapons/armor) that they normally only show 'VIP customers' that they might be willing to sell to the players once they have acquitted themselves accordingly.

TrashTrash
2019-05-08, 06:53 PM
Taking out a pillaging tribe of orcs is probably a good deed overall, but the weaponsmith who was making bank arming guardsmen and concerned citizens might not appreciate it.
I'll write that in, that's a good idea!

Also, you might want to allow for the rumor mill to affect the players' standing. After all, suspicion is less about what someone has done and more about what others think they have done.

Edit: Also maybe make it so positive benefits might be temporary, especially if the players abuse the good fortune. A merchant offering a one time deal in recognition of the players' heroism, or as thanks for, say, saving their life is believable, but a lifetime discount might not be until the players really establish themselves as worthy of it.

Another option is to allow certain merchants to have 'special stock' (such as more potent potions or better quality weapons/armor) that they normally only show 'VIP customers' that they might be willing to sell to the players once they have acquitted themselves accordingly.
I think that would be a good idea as well; knowing my players, they'd probably abuse the discounts heavily. I know for a fact that our Fighter would do it just to annoy me. :smallbiggrin:

foobar1969
2019-05-09, 05:22 AM
Like the old vs modern AC system, I would reverse these numbers so that higher is better, and call it a Reputation system.

TrashTrash
2019-05-09, 04:15 PM
Alright, here's the revised version of the effects table. I added a method to keep track of the effect length to help keep the effects from going on infinitely.

+5 Excellent benefits for 1d4+2 days.
+4 Obvious benefits for 1d4+2 days.
+3 Noticeable benefits for 1d4+1 days.
+2 Moderate benefits for 1d4+1 days.
+1 Slight benefits for 1d4+1 days.
0 No benefits or disadvantages.
-1 Slight disadvantages for 1d4+1 days.
-2 Moderate disadvantages for 1d4+1 days.
-3 Noticeable disadvantages for 1d4+1 days.
-4 Obvious disadvantages for 1d4+2 days.
-5 Extreme disadvantages for 1d4+2 days.

Updated acquisition:
+3: Do something incredibly heroic.
+2: Do something incontestably good.
+1: Do something fairly beneficial.
0: Do absolutely nothing at all.
-1: Do something fairly harmful.
-2: Do something incontestably amoral.
-3: Do something incredibly evil.

John Out West
2019-05-09, 04:37 PM
I think the effects should have at least some longevity. The players would become disillusioned if, after five days, the town forgot how they were saved by the players from a hoard of zombies. I think it might want to look like:(+1 permanent Reputation, & + 3 reputation for 1d6 days.

Another effect is the Guards. Guards will follow players around if they are known troublemakers. Meanwhile, if they are heroes, guards are likely to look the other way, even for big crimes if the reputation is high enough.

Bards would be a nice touch. Local bards would sing of the latest deed of the heroes, whether it be good or bad, magnifying the effects of their reputations to people in the area. (It would also allow the DM to throw a few insults their way if they have been acting like jerks)

Suitors from the town would most likely shower heroes with gifts whenever possible. Potions, Herbs, Weapons, etc, with personalized items designed specifically for that character. Evil players will have Bounty Hunters, Strong Men, and Vigilantes attempting to right some wrongs and try to take them out while they're relaxing in town.

TrashTrash
2019-05-10, 05:35 PM
The Reputation System is in the works, with "advanced" features like Bardic Rumor (Bards spread rumors about your reputation) and Perceived Reputation (Alignment chart placement & player actions affect how someone views you; also influenced by Bardic Rumor) alongside the Acquisition and Effect tables. My brother is helping me fine-tune it before I present it to our group/publish it on here. Y'all are getting credited once I finish fine-tuning, too.:smallcool: