PDA

View Full Version : Index [3.5] "Mutations"

Thurbane
2019-05-08, 06:47 PM
Hi everyone,

Looking to compile a list of things/effects that could be considered "mutations" in 3.5 (not looking for d20 modern, Pathfinder or other d20 systems at this stage).

I'm going to list a few things off the top of my head, and add suggestiojns as they come in:

* Return to the Temple of the Frog (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20070223a) (p.23-25): Leaking Nuclear Reactor mutation table

* Miniatures Handbook (p.57): Cave Dinosaur mutation table

* Monster Manual (p.218): Sahuagin mutants (4 armed, and Malenti)

* Monster Manual II (p.195): Tetramorph entropic touch "Physical Mutation" effect

* BoVD (p.31-32): Warp Touch disease effects

* HoH (p.63-65): taint/corruption effects

* Complete Divine (p.43-44): Geomancer drift effects

* Monster Manual (p.264): Yuan-ti Halfblood "variants"

Cheers - T

ViperMagnum357
2019-05-08, 07:05 PM
If you create a Dragonspawn that is not at least partially of Human descent, it is a Dragonspawn Abomination instead. The template for that is in the Revised Bestiary of Krynn; certain species like Elf or Minotaur can pick a trait from a small list, then roll twice on a mutation table. Something besides those specific races instead just rolls three times.

The mutations are all over the place: extra eyes, extra arm, radiate an (Ex) Stinking Cloud effect, improved Breath Weapon/Spellcasting/ability scores, Poison for bite and claw attacks, extra shiny scales that will act as an (Ex) Blur effect in well lit areas, etc. Lot of different stuff there.

Kalkra
2019-05-08, 09:05 PM
Mourning Mutate?

Thurbane
2019-05-08, 09:13 PM
If you create a Dragonspawn that is not at least partially of Human descent, it is a Dragonspawn Abomination instead. The template for that is in the Revised Bestiary of Krynn; certain species like Elf or Minotaur can pick a trait from a small list, then roll twice on a mutation table. Something besides those specific races instead just rolls three times.

The mutations are all over the place: extra eyes, extra arm, radiate an (Ex) Stinking Cloud effect, improved Breath Weapon/Spellcasting/ability scores, Poison for bite and claw attacks, extra shiny scales that will act as an (Ex) Blur effect in well lit areas, etc. Lot of different stuff there.

Mourning Mutate?

I'll look into both of those, thanks - but I tend to avoid 3rd party and Dragon sources. I might still list them for the sake of completeness.

Zaq
2019-05-08, 10:07 PM
Does it have to be random? A lot of templates could probably qualify. Unholy scion, arguably unseelie, spellwarped, almost certainly others...

Thurbane
2019-05-08, 10:18 PM
Does it have to be random? A lot of templates could probably qualify. Unholy scion, arguably unseelie, spellwarped, almost certainly others...

Good point, I was considering that. Spellwarped definitely fits the bill. I'll have a think...

Multiheaded, Winged etc. would also probably fit. Some of the NPC Special Traits in DMG2 as well.

Telonius
2019-05-08, 10:23 PM
Would the Pseudonatural template qualify?

Vizzerdrix
2019-05-09, 01:05 AM
The entry for nagas in oriental adventures mentions mutations, but doesn't list how they change LA.

MisterKaws
2019-05-09, 06:33 AM
DMG 2 has Doomwatcher, Vestigial Twin, Four-Armed and a few other unique abilities which should qualify, all of which have outright dumb LA values.

Seriously, doomwatcher would be such a cool ability if it were a lower LA, and maybe counted by number of rounds instead of having a long-lasting activation.

Telonius
2019-05-09, 07:48 AM
Marruspawn (from Sandstorm) have some mutation-themed stuff, particularly with those weird enzyme potions and the Abomination.

Blue Jay
2019-05-09, 08:30 AM
The whole line of Aberrant feats from Lords of Madness might work.

Dragon #350 has an article called "Magical Pollution" with three "Mutation" templates: Arcane-Blooded, Poisonous and Stonebone. The following article has another template called Corrupted, which is conceptually similar.

Of the monster templates from Savage Species, the ones I think work well are Feral, Gelatinous, Insectile, Monstrous Beast, Multiheaded, Symbiotic, Tauric and Winged.

Some prestige classes would also work, like Alienist, Animal Lord, Black Blood Cultist, Cancer Mage, Green Star Adept, Ocular Adept, Oozemaster, Warshaper, etc.

SimonMoon6
2019-05-09, 09:36 AM
Slaads have something like this, iirc.

ShurikVch
2019-05-09, 09:56 AM
3.0 has the Slaadi Chaotic Variations table

Dungeon #124 has Hordlings, which are not just prone to mutations, but (IMHO) made of them: no two would be alike (unless you're ignoring the rules about how to make them)

The "Seeds of Sehan" campaign arc (Dungeon ## 145-147): the "Vile addiction" (#145) have drug which may turn user into plant monster, and "Spawn of Sehan" (#146) - encounter with Mutated Girallon

The "60 Unstable Arcana Magical Side Effects" (Dragon #302)

"Enter the Far Realm" article (Dragon #330): healing in places affected by the Far Realm may cause unexpected side-effects (such as eyes at the place of the wound)

The "Occult Mutations" article (Dragon #356)

Misbegotten Mutant (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/files/articles/MisbegottenMutant.zip)

GrayDeath
2019-05-09, 11:15 AM
CHeck CHaositek.

If you are exposed to the stuff enough, you`ll mutate randomly and severely. ^^

darkela5
2019-05-09, 11:35 AM
* BoVD (p.21-22): I have the french version of the book so the pages might be off.
Io-Rach pits (les fosses des Io-Rach in french)
TLDR: Goblins that live in Io-Rach pits have an evil alchemical potion that causes goblins to mutate into BSF(Big Stupid Fighter) +4 str and con (innate bonus) and -4 int, wis and cha. The mutation fails 25% of the time which causes the goblin to die. The lore text also say that there is a lot of diform cratures that roam these pits. ( So the goblins also tried to use their mixture on other races which cause them to also mutate i guess)

Mr Adventurer
2019-05-10, 11:52 AM
Depending on how purist you want to be, there are the Willing Deformation feats...

How about the Draconic feats which can grant natural armour, claws, wings, a tail...?

And IIRC there's a line of fiend-blooded feats that can do similar in PHB2.

Does Hordes of the Abyss also have something along these lines?

MisterKaws
2019-05-10, 03:38 PM
* BoVD (p.21-22): I have the french version of the book so the pages might be off.
Io-Rach pits (les fosses des Io-Rach in french)
TLDR: Goblins that live in Io-Rach pits have an evil alchemical potion that causes goblins to mutate into BSF(Big Stupid Fighter) +4 str and con (innate bonus) and -4 int, wis and cha. The mutation fails 25% of the time which causes the goblin to die. The lore text also say that there is a lot of diform cratures that roam these pits. ( So the goblins also tried to use their mixture on other races which cause them to also mutate i guess)

Page 22: The Goblin Pits of Io-Rach.