PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer casting Shillelagh with Extended Spell

Cikomyr
2019-05-08, 08:56 PM
Imagine if someone dual class as Sorcerer/Druid, or a sorcerer picked the Initiate Spellcaster fest.

Could the sorcerer keep a Shillelagh active within 30 feet if he casts it as an Extended Spell?

JackPhoenix
2019-05-08, 09:01 PM
No. If the caster let go of the weapon, the spell will end, no matter the remaining duration.

If you mean DISTANT spell, also no, for the same reason. If the weapon isn't in your hand, the spell will end immediately, making increased range moot.

bid
2019-05-08, 09:02 PM
Extended: shillelagh would last 2 minutes instead of 1.
Distant: shillelagh ends if you let go of the weapon.

You'd need it as a tomelock spell or a bard secret to use Cha. Druid or MI would use Wis.

Galithar
2019-05-08, 09:25 PM
Technically you could use distant spell to cast it on a staff from 30 feet, but as pointed out above it would just immediately end since it's not in your hand.

Cikomyr
2019-05-09, 06:29 AM
Oh, and then what if Mage Hand holds it? :-P

Thanks for the replies guys.

Dalebert
2019-05-09, 07:13 AM
I do agree what they've told you is the strict RAW. That said, I don't think it would be an unreasonable call to treat distant spell as an exception. That's what metamagic is all about after all--creating exceptions to the normal rules of spells. Considering that the spell is written based on the range being touch, In this case I'd say it ends if it ever leaves the new range. But I would not try to proclaim that as RAW.