PDA

View Full Version : Varying Damage Types with Themed Enemies

Xihirli
2019-05-08, 11:14 PM
My party has been running into Shar cultists and even a small portion of the goddess herself. I am designing some of her minions as it seems the party is gearing up to attack her forces in the Shadowfell, including the King of Shadows, Telamont Tanthul, and perhaps Karsus in some undead form but I think that would be better for a noncombat encounter.

One thing I've noticed when designing is that whenever I'm assigning a damage type to an ability having to do with the Shadow Weave, I'm using Psychic just about every time. I don't like Necrotic for that, that's the domain of undead themed characters, but I want to use a variety of damage types against my players. What other damage types go well thematically with the Shadow Weave, and in what ways?

hymer
2019-05-09, 04:54 AM
I'd say cold and acid or poison are the closest fits after necrotic. The Shadow Weave does well with draining life, which could be in the form of draining heat. An acid that only affects living beings, shrivelling them up and disintegrating them without applying heat, could be describing necrotic damage. But it could also be described with acid and poison.